Why become a member? ×

Helix Floor/LT/HX/Stomp/PodGo owners' Club - Tips, Ideas & Patches

Al Krow

1 hour ago, Twunkbass said:

I'm having the exact same issue, I usually just use the compression in my amp/plugins with no issues,  but I cant really find a setting on the hx I get along with. I swear the preset levels on every patch in the hx has just insane settings, why can't everything be set flat by default?!

Esp when TC electronics get it so right on the Spectracomp so easily. I’ve spent a bit of time with them this week. Rochester, meh but ok, I can get the 3 band sounding good - but don’t feel I have any control of it at all,  I can get the LA2A model sounding nice easily- possibly LA2A is just my cup of tea? 

My favourite compressor on the Helix seemed to be the LA Studio comp. Worked well with both active and passive basses, slightly better with active. I'm not a big compressor guy though, I used to rely on the one knob built in comp on my old Ashdown Rootmaster, soy compression needs, tastes and knowledge are at the basic end.

On 25/08/2022 at 11:03, LukeFRC said:

Just got the cables to power my stomp from a Cioks dc7 - oddly turned on connected to one port without the current doubler too! 

If I understood correctly when I was researching power supplies a few years back, the hx has a variable current amount so it might work on a lower current output but will become problematic under certain tasks which is why you should normal use the doubler.

Edited by Stingray64

If I remember correctly, power supplies like the Cioks can happily give more current to a single output than is rated. As long as the total current draw on the power supply doesn't exceed the maximim rated, you'll be fine. I think it was Mr Cioks who said that in one of his videos.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/09/2022 at 11:22, tauzero said:

Did you update HX Edit first?

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I may have updated it after, actually...

Instead of just looking blankly at it .I looked at the manual and for some reason, after I updated it, it switches on in either Snapshot Footswitch Mode or Preset Footswitch Mode. I'll look into how to get out of that tomorrow but it's a start. I updated HX Edit, updated the Stomp and did a factory reset.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys

I wanted to share my experience with the HX Stomp. I've been using this pedal for a year and a half and I love it. I sold most of my pedals and my sound and pedalboard is really HX oriented. However, I am not 100% satisfied with the tone of my amp sim. It might be something I'm doing wrong or maybe this is how it is. The thing is that I have been comparing the following:

-Ampeg SVT4 with IR Ampeg 810. The IR is blended 60% wet.

-Markbass Vintage Pre preamp (instead of the amp sim+IR)

-Ashdown OriginAL preamp (instead of the amp sim+IR)

I have also tried without the IR, with other IRs and with other amps, but the SVT4 and that IR is the best tone I have from the HX. But when I compare it with the external preamps, I find it that the sound is more "direct", more "in your face" or even "natural". I'm not sure how I can explain it, but from the HX is like the sound is "far away". as I said, this is with and without IRs. Have you guys experienced something like this?

1 hour ago, javi_bassist said:

Hello guys

I wanted to share my experience with the HX Stomp. I've been using this pedal for a year and a half and I love it. I sold most of my pedals and my sound and pedalboard is really HX oriented. However, I am not 100% satisfied with the tone of my amp sim. It might be something I'm doing wrong or maybe this is how it is. The thing is that I have been comparing the following:

-Ampeg SVT4 with IR Ampeg 810. The IR is blended 60% wet.

-Markbass Vintage Pre preamp (instead of the amp sim+IR)

-Ashdown OriginAL preamp (instead of the amp sim+IR)

I have also tried without the IR, with other IRs and with other amps, but the SVT4 and that IR is the best tone I have from the HX. But when I compare it with the external preamps, I find it that the sound is more "direct", more "in your face" or even "natural". I'm not sure how I can explain it, but from the HX is like the sound is "far away". as I said, this is with and without IRs. Have you guys experienced something like this?

I found this with cab sims and IRs playing live too, on play back they sounded fine …

try this as an eq block and see how you like that https://drtone.theblackcreekband.com/eq-setting/8x10/

7 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I found this with cab sims and IRs playing live too, on play back they sounded fine …

try this as an eq block and see how you like that https://drtone.theblackcreekband.com/eq-setting/8x10/

Thanks! I used to use them, but then I tried IRs and I totally forgot. I will go back to the EQ block

I'm still waiting for a response from Line6 on this, but just in case someone on here has already figured out how to do it...

FS6 (top row, furthest right) is marked as "Preset/ Stomp Hold To Edit". I have no use for either of these functions and would like to replace them with a command of my own set up using the Command Centre to allow me start and pause the playback of the backing my bands use live. Adding this functionality is not a problem, but the switch still retains it's original function which means that when I start the playback the rest of the switches go into "Stomp" mode and I can't access my snapshots (it's set up with 4 presets along the top row and 4 snapshots on the bottom). Any ideas? Or is this function hardwired onto FS6?

Ideally I'd also like to swap the functions of FS6 and FS12 (and also FS1 and FS7) so that functions I use while I'm playing are all on the bottom row of foot switches and I don't have to worry about inadvertently pressing the wrong switch while trying to access a top row switch mid-performance. 

23 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I'm still waiting for a response from Line6 on this, but just in case someone on here has already figured out how to do it...

FS6 (top row, furthest right) is marked as "Preset/ Stomp Hold To Edit". I have no use for either of these functions and would like to replace them with a command of my own set up using the Command Centre to allow me start and pause the playback of the backing my bands use live. Adding this functionality is not a problem, but the switch still retains it's original function which means that when I start the playback the rest of the switches go into "Stomp" mode and I can't access my snapshots (it's set up with 4 presets along the top row and 4 snapshots on the bottom). Any ideas? Or is this function hardwired onto FS6?

Ideally I'd also like to swap the functions of FS6 and FS12 (and also FS1 and FS7) so that functions I use while I'm playing are all on the bottom row of foot switches and I don't have to worry about inadvertently pressing the wrong switch while trying to access a top row switch mid-performance. 

If it is possible, then I bet someone on the facebook main user group will know.

Have you posted it there?

49 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I've posted it for you.

I'll let you know if it gets any replies, and paste them in this thread.

That's brilliant. Thank you.

Ideally I'll get an answer from Line 6 through the support ticket I have opened, which I'll post here and you can forward on to the Facebook group.

Edit: and if it's not possible is, can you add it as a feature request via Facebook or is there another method for this?

Edited by BigRedX

38 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

That's brilliant. Thank you.

Ideally I'll get an answer from Line 6 through the support ticket I have opened, which I'll post here and you can forward on to the Facebook group.

Edit: and if it's not possible is, can you add it as a feature request via Facebook or is there another method for this?

They have an Ideascale page. You can post ideas on it and then helix users can vote for it, and they take that into consideration for future firmware updates.

I think the last load of new amps and the little level meters were as a result of the public.

https://line6.ideascale.com/c/campaigns/51424/stage/all-stages/ideas/recent

I can't remember if you can just use your L6 account from doing updates or if you need to register separately.

Thanks!

I've just had a reply from Line6 saying it's not possible although the work-around they suggested to get my sequencer function on a switch sounds like they may have misunderstood my question and why I want to do these things. I've sent a follow-up question.

One possible work-around would be to use an external footswitch and give it the required function, although if you've been following my other recents posts on the effects section, I'm trying to cut down on the amount of pedals I have on stage, however AFAICS there are only sockets for EXP2 and EXP3 which would normally be expression pedals. Will these sockets accept a momentary footswitch? I don't have one yet so I wanted to check before I go an buy one and then find it doesn't work.

It looks like you need to register separately for the Ideascale page, and so I'm waiting for a moderator to approve my account.

I don't know about the EXP sockets - I have the rack version with the foot controller and it's a bit different.

The rack controller has a separate socket to be used with the helix specific Mission expression pedal toe switch and that can be assigned to lots of things. The controller for the rack doesn't have an expression pedal on it. 2 sockets are used for the expression pedal, 1 for the treadle and another for the toe switch. The Mission L6H has 2 sockets on it as well for that purpose.

On the Helix Floor the I believe the Expression Pedal Toe Switch is the "joy-stick" like switch to the right of the display. I would want my foot going anywhere near that and also it's even further up on the device which means that there are more switches I might inadvertently press.

Looks like I'm going to have to look elsewhere for this functionality. Pity. One of the things that initially attracted me to the Helix was the fact that it could be used as controller pedal and well as a multi-effects unit. Looks as though the controller functions are more limited then I was lead to believe.