Why become a member? ×

Daily Mail and John Deacon

Steve Browning

4 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

If I ever happened to read the Daily Mail - even if by accident and only for a few seconds - I'd be so ashamed I'd literally have to apologise in writing to everyone I know.  Then I'd go into town and buy a box of matches and a gallon of petrol and set myself on fire.

The Daily Mail supported Hitler, you know.

You're telling me, the sidebar of shame was full of pictures of Eva Braun, week in , week out during WW 2. I think the Rothermere's were very keen on AH.

Geordie Greig has replaced Paul Dacre as Editor and has re positioned the paper more to the centre middle. ( I don't read it myself but Private Eye has very good coverage of the tabs every two weeks)

45 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I think the Rothermere's were very keen on AH.

Possibly because of the 2nd Viscount's association with Lloyd George, a man who also liked Hitler (for a while). The real Hitler fan was the 1st Viscount, whereas the 3rd Viscount was firmly against the Austrian Corporal.

The 4th Viscount has yet to express an opinion in respect of Der Fuhrer but acquiesced in the appointment of Mr Geordie Grieg as the Mail's new editor, allegedly at the insistence of his wife the Viscountess Claudia who - it has been reported - was alienated by Paul Dacre's trenchant Europhobia and remorselessly lower middle-class values. Geordie's an Old Etonian, an unshakeable Remainer and his sister was one of Princess Di's ladies-in-waiting, don'cher know, and that makes all the difference at dinner parties.

Jonathan Harmsworth's a lovely chap, modest and unassuming but apt to bear the impression of the last person who sat on him. One cannot imagine his illustrious and rather more thrusting forebears selling off the Evening Standard to a sweaty-palmed Russian shop-boy but there you go. Then again, perhaps Jonty had it right. Under George Osborne's editorship the ES continues to lose money (£10m last year) and rumours abound in respect of suspect sales figures and secret pulping of undistributed copies.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 1

My bro and I were discussing Queen this week and how John Deacon (who was apparently born a couple of streets away from where I live) has completely retired from the public eye, probably quite content to enjoy his old age with zillions of pounds and relative anonymity. 

Fair play to him. He's done his bit.

I won't be visiting the Daily Mail website tho. 

As the awesome joke goes: 

"I used a copy of the Daily Mail to kill a fly yesterday. I read the first three pages out loud and it shot itself." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

30 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

Let's not forget the Daily Mail running paedophiliac 'look at her all grown up' articles too. I can't see how that is anything like acceptable? 

Shitrag is too kind.

I wouldn't insult my cat's a*se by using the DM to line his litter tray*

*sorry someone has beaten me to it a few comments ago. At least we are in agreement!

Edited by bassbiscuits

Never use the Daily Mail as a liner for a cat's litter tray because evil. Instead, go to the newsagents and ask them for their leftover copies of The Guardian, The Daily Mirror or The Washington Post because not evil. Interleave a page from each (because diversity is strength) and lay them in the tray.

Alternatively, here's my recipe for DIY ethical granulated cat litter using the newspapers mentioned above:

1. Shred newspaper in a paper shredder and collect it in an unused plastic litter tray.

2. Soak the paper in warm water mixed with a few squirts gentle, biodegradable dish soap. The shredded paper takes on a cooked oatmeal consistency. The paper won’t come completely clean, but the water will turn grey.

3. Drain the water (an old colander works wonders) and repeat the soaking process minus the soap.

4. Sprinkle baking soda liberally on the wet paper. Knead it in to the mixture (you might want to wear gloves to avoid getting ink on your hands).

5. Squeeze the remaining moisture out until it’s as dry as you can get it.

6. Crumble over a medium-fine mesh and leave to dry for a few days.

7. Once it’s dry, put about an inch and a half to two inches of the paper crumbles in the litter box. Scoop solids daily and change it once a week. It takes about a half an hour to 45 minutes to make a 2-3 week supply ,

Enjoy!

• Like 2

A chance photo of John Deacon used to trawl back over already known info, it’s pretty poor journalism...and I use that word loosely.

I’ve got a lot of respect for John Deacon, he’s done the right thing IMO when it comes to Queen. Queen was the four of them, it doesn’t work without either of them. Taylor and May should have had some self respect, and respect for the band’s name, and known when to stop with Queen. The current incarnation is awful.

And Roger Taylor needs a dictionary, sociopath? He sounds like he holds a grudge tbh that John won’t join in killing the band

• Like 7

2 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Never use the Daily Mail as a liner for a cat's litter tray because evil. Instead, go to the newsagents and ask them for their leftover copies of The Guardian, The Daily Mirror or The Washington Post because not evil. Interleave a page from each (because diversity is strength) and lay them in the tray.

Alternatively, here's my recipe for DIY ethical granulated cat litter using the newspapers mentioned above:

1. Shred newspaper in a paper shredder and collect it in an unused plastic litter tray.

2. Soak the paper in warm water mixed with a few squirts gentle, biodegradable dish soap. The shredded paper takes on a cooked oatmeal consistency. The paper won’t come completely clean, but the water will turn grey.

3. Drain the water (an old colander works wonders) and repeat the soaking process minus the soap.

4. Sprinkle baking soda liberally on the wet paper. Knead it in to the mixture (you might want to wear gloves to avoid getting ink on your hands).

5. Squeeze the remaining moisture out until it’s as dry as you can get it.

6. Crumble over a medium-fine mesh and leave to dry for a few days.

7. Once it’s dry, put about an inch and a half to two inches of the paper crumbles in the litter box. Scoop solids daily and change it once a week. It takes about a half an hour to 45 minutes to make a 2-3 week supply ,

Enjoy!

Or just teach your cat to sh!t in your neighbour's flower beds, like mine.

Although in truth there wasn't much tuition involved.

After he'd watched me demonstrate a couple of times he'd pretty much got the hang of it.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 1
  • Haha 14

3 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Then I'd go into town and buy a box of matches and a gallon of petrol and set myself on fire.

No. No, you wouldn't. And do you know why? Because thanks to the unelected faceless bureaucratic dictatorial unelected quasi-fascist bullying faceless unelected bureaucrats in Brussels, you can't buy a GALLON of petrol. You can only buy it in euros now. And even if you could, the unelected faceless bureaucratic dictatorial unelected quasi-fascist bullying faceless unelected Health & Safety bureaucrats won't let us burn ourselves even if we want to. The sooner we are free of the EU's unelected faceless eurocratic dictatorial (cont'd p.94 of tomorrow's Daily Express, and every other day in fact)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

30 minutes ago, Rich said:

No. No, you wouldn't. And do you know why? Because thanks to the unelected faceless bureaucratic dictatorial unelected quasi-fascist bullying faceless unelected bureaucrats in Brussels, you can't buy a GALLON of petrol. You can only buy it in euros now. And even if you could, the unelected faceless bureaucratic dictatorial unelected quasi-fascist bullying faceless unelected Health & Safety bureaucrats won't let us burn ourselves even if we want to. The sooner we are free of the EU's unelected faceless eurocratic dictatorial (cont'd p.94 of tomorrow's Daily Express, and every other day in fact)

SHOULDNT YOUR RANT BE IN CAPITALS? (Spelling mistake was deliberate :))

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rich said:

I know I can get 5 litres of petrol in my plastic fuel can - I stop at 4.54 litres as a matter of principle. 

European dictates be damned! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ambient said:

SHOULDNT YOUR RANT BE IN CAPITALS? (Spelling mistake was deliberate :))

no. no, it shouldn't. and do you know why? because the self-appointed goosestepping grey suited penpushing bureaucratic thugs in brussels have outlawed block capitals. i know this is true because i heard a bloke down the pub going on about how he'd heard from his mate who had read it in the sun. the sooner we are free of the eu's dictatorial jackboot (and so on, ad nauseum)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Rich said:

no. no, it shouldn't. and do you know why? because the self-appointed goosestepping grey suited penpushing bureaucratic thugs in brussels have outlawed block capitals. i know this is true because i heard a bloke down the pub going on about how he'd heard from his mate who had read it in the sun. the sooner we are free of the eu's dictatorial jackboot (and so on, ad nauseum)

Wetherspoons?

:) 

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

They won't sell Jagermeister any more because it's European but they still sell Stella Artois... That's from Belgium. Is it cos they'd go out of business if they didn't sell Stella? 

Most of the Stella available in the UK is brewed in Britain anyway, so maybe that's how they get round it. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rich said:

no. no, it shouldn't. and do you know why? because the self-appointed - grey suited penpushing bureaucratic thugs in brussels have outlawed block capitals. i know this is true because i heard a bloke down the pub going on about how he'd heard from his mate who had read it in the sun. the sooner we are free of the eu's dictatorial jackboot (and so on, ad nauseum)

Are you sure you don't write for Private Eye?  If not, a whole new career beckons . . 

🙂

Ralph

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bassbiscuits said:

Most of the Stella available in the UK is brewed in Britain anyway, so maybe that's how they get round it. 

Wonder if they don't sell Peroni anymore either, because AFAIK it's all brewed and bottled in Italy?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

is there anything wrong with Wetherspoons supporting British Jobs? 

None at all, makes sense to me. Surely any country supporting its own jobs and industry is in principle a good thing.

And that row in Wetherspoons above, well I don`t see many there that looked like they`re contenders in the next boxing/martial arts contests, most couldn`t punch their way out of a paper bag. 

Edited by Lozz196