Why become a member? ×

'Nice' Straps

Jack

Hey all,

I've been using a Mono 'Betty' Strap for a bit and tbh we're not getting along. I find that it's starting to look very tatty very quickly and the adjustment slips quite a bit, to the point that my bass gets noticeably lower during a set. What other straps do people recommend? Just looking at Bass Direct I'm rather tempted by the Neotech Mega and the Comfort Strapp. What do people recommend out there that's nicer than an EBMM seatbelt and not a billion pounds' worth of handmade leather?

I like mine about 125cm long

Grippy or smooth is fine, but the one thing I don't like are the super-grippy suede backs you get on some leather ones.

Preference for black

Input and ideas appreciated 🙂

I've used nothing but Comfort Strapps for years now, yet to feel any need to go and check what else is on the market.

I should probably mention that I started using them after years of back pain. They don't 'cure' backache of course, but they certainly help deal with it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

I've used nothing but Comfort Strapps for years now, yet to feel any need to go and check what else is on the market.

I’m in the same position. Was introduced to the Comfort Strapp by @thebassgallery after trying a Mono Betty and not being all that impressed. 3 years later I now have Comfort Strapps on all of my basses. Actually one of my basses has the Sandberg Deluxe Strapps, which is basically like a slightly upgraded Comfort Strapp anyway. Haven’t looked back.

I have one Mono strap (which came with a bass that I bought) and there's nothing wrong with it apart from being a bit on the shiny side, so occasionally prone to slide off the shoulder.

If I'd discovered Mono before Comfort then who knows ... but owning both I know which I'd recommend to anyone focused on wearing a bass comfortably. The clue is in the name.

I have a wide, padded Richter. Classic leather. Really great strap, only a bit slippery if you have a bass with some neck dive. I put some tennis grip tape on the inside and it’s a very comfortable strap, even with an over 10 pounds Warwick 5 strings bass.

https://www.richterstraps.com/screen/product/guitar-strap-1149

I have a RightOn strap too, narrower but well padded, good grip on the inside. Beautiful strap. I like it a lot, too.

http://www.rightonstraps.com/en/bandolera-correa-ancha-para-bajo

3 hours ago, Rubbersoul said:

Is tennis grip tape the best way to combat neck dive / strap slippage?

Probably not. I just happened to have some lying around and when I tried the strap with two Warwicks five strings the strap slided too easily to where the basses wanted to be.

I like to wear the bass with a great angle sometimes (maybe 35-40 degrees from the line of the floor)  and other straps have more grip than this one, so I just applied some tennis grip to the inside of the strap and it worked. Not really elegant, but you can’t tell it’s there. 

I should’ve bought the “raw” leather in the inside strap for the extra grip. Excellent strap nonetheless, and there’s a raw leather less expensive version I want to purchase in the future. 

On 25/08/2018 at 10:04, Kev said:

Interesting to hear a lack of love for the Mono.  Its been my #1 strap for around 5 years and hasn't slipped once :)

I've had mine around the same time and haven't had the slippage problem either, and I use it predominantly with a Variax so a very heavy bass. I like the fact it's a bit slidey on the shoulder, that was a main concern when buying it. I hate straps that grip your clothing and drag your top over your shoulder, nothing looks worse than a sharp suit getting all rucked up, I do like to play with my bass at various angles though.