Why become a member? ×

How democratic is Basschat?

Happy Jack

6 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

It's all a bit self-defeating in the end. ... My current favourite for replacing the above example is 'robin', which, of course, will itself have to be replaced once it, in turn, becomes adopted as an uttered profanity. Eventually the wheel will turn full circle and we'll have to recycle 'old' terms, and '[email protected]' will again be preferred to whatever nasty word is current in the future. Such is life. Sigh...

This pattern is so well known that linguists have a technical term for it, which I can't remember, but basically, any neutral or technical clinical term for a condition thought of negatively will become used as an insult, so  the clinicians will come up with a new neutral term, which in turn becomes used as an insult...

I'm old enough to remember "spastic" and "moron" as playground insults which were recognisably still used as clinical labels.

I'm now, studying for a degree in mental health care, seeing leading professional bodies like the British Psychological Society advising us not to use technical terms like "psychosis" or "bipolar disorder" with our clients because the popular media have created such intensely negative disinformed stereotypes around these labels that our clients will think worse of themselves, rather than better because their condition is known and understood and we know how to help them.

</rant>

• Like 1

1 hour ago, josie said:

I'm now, studying for a degree in mental health care, seeing leading professional bodies like the British Psychological Society advising us not to use technical terms like "psychosis" or "bipolar disorder" with our clients because the popular media have created such intensely negative disinformed stereotypes around these labels that our clients will think worse of themselves, rather than better because their condition is known and understood and we know how to help them.

Thats understandable. The two people I know with bipolar disorders are always saying how their main problem is the social stereotypes of their conditions but it is ok because they feel that the medical profession has helped them so much :D

Or words to that effect...

9 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

C

U

N

T

I

B

T

L

...if you keep this up! 😀

On a serious note, I would be very much in favour of an unmoderated (or less-moderated) area - we live in very interesting times and there are enough off-limits discussions on BC for it to be a bit frustrating at times. A forum I was a regular on a few years back had a similar area for no-holds-barred discussion and that seemed to work OK there, despite a broad spectrum of political & social perspectives & attitudes from forum users.

I'd propose an experiment - "The BC Basement" - where pretty much anything goes, for regular members (based on post count and/or length of forum membership, perhaps) & access given by mods/admin.

Given the presence of the 'Report' button plus the introduction of the 'Like' system, it would hardly be beyond the wit of Basschat for such a section to be largely self-moderating.

As a doting Dad I am well aware of the need to keep children away from bad language. After all, who ever heard a teenager swear? But recent polls seem to have shown fairly conclusively that being over-run with little children is not a problem that need concern us.

Seeing as we are overwhelmingly a bunch of mature grown-ups, why not treat us that way?

• Like 2

The internet is a big place.

If people want to aggressively argue about politics, religion or the more toxic stuff there's a lot of places they can go to do that whilst being as sweary as their imagination allows.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

I'm on a forum which encourages outspoken debate -

it is monopolised by the same dreary long winded posters all the time & is totally tedious..........

😪

Are you a Corbynista?

;)

21 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

How about polls identifying Basschatter's preferences ... that's democratics.

Personally, I think if someone gives you a room to play in, what goes on in there is their responsibility and if they want to set guidelines, that's their right.

As for polls about changing things, or adding things, whatever flexibility they show is up to them too.
99% of members may want some thing, but there may be a very valid reason why they won't allow it.

Swear filters: If the admins don't want to read the word f***, etc on their forum, that's up to them, too.
No idea why people would try to get around it. What's the point?
Admins might throw them out.

• Thanks 1

My personal view (and so not necessarily that of the Mods nor Admins...) is that there is enough diversity and richness in language (English and others...) to allow one's feelings, however strong, to be adequately expressed without resorting to vulgarity. Use, or worse still, over-use, of bad language diminishes my opinion of the author (that this matters little to them I'm quite aware, but still...). There are perhaps occasions when comic effect could, maybe, justify writing in that manner, but they are, I reckon, rather rare, and all the more effective by being so. It will be understood, then, that I am for keeping the profanity filter, hoping that it never need be invoked.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

My personal view (and so not necessarily that of the Mods nor Admins...) is that there is enough diversity and richness in language (English and others...) to allow one's feelings, however strong, to be adequately expressed without resorting to vulgarity. Use, or worse still, over-use, of bad language diminishes my opinion of the author (that this matters little to them I'm quite aware, but still...). There are perhaps occasions when comic effect could, maybe, justify writing in that manner, but they are, I reckon, rather rare, and all the more effective by being so. It will be understood, then, that I am for keeping the profanity filter, hoping that it never need be invoked.

I'm sorry, but that's a load of bollocks. :biggrin: