How democratic is Basschat?

Happy Jack

5 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

The new set of emojis seems to have the answer...! Here it is: 🤬

It appears to be called 'Serious Face With Symbols Covering Mouth'. 😮

I'm not seeing the new emojis - could it be a problem at my end..? :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, discreet said:

I'm not seeing the new emojis - could it be a problem at my end..? :biggrin:

They have just appeared on the computer interface of this site. I think they were already available on the mobile phone, although I didn't see them. :)

Edited by Silvia Bluejay

1 minute ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

They have just appeated on the computer interface of this site. I think they were already available on the mobile phone, although I didn't see them. :)

Yes, I noticed them... thought something weird was going on - as you say, they're the same ones I have on my phone... but I can't see them viewing the site on my desktop PC, they just appear as two parallel horizontal lines...

Just now, discreet said:

Yes, I noticed them... thought something weird was going on - as you say, they're the same ones I have on my phone... but I can't see them viewing the site on my desktop PC, they just appear as two parallel horizontal lines...

They appear as a series of panels, grouping them into types, when I click on the small face icon on my reply field. I'm on Firefox and Windows 10.

1 hour ago, Cato said:

The internet is a big place.

If people want to aggressively argue about politics, religion or the more toxic stuff there's a lot of places they can go to do that whilst being as sweary as their imagination allows.

That's fair enough, this is BassChat, the clue's in the name etc. So why is any off-topic discussion hosted here, what with the Internet being big & full of variety?

Thing is, BC is an established community, many of us have been hanging around here for a really long time (I remember it when it was all just trees BassWorld) - and that inevitably means we're going to want to discuss things beyond string gauges and the evils of plectrum use - well, sometimes. Seems odd - and I have to say, a little patronising - that discussion of some incredibly important everyday things should be absolutely off-limits.

Maybe I'm perverse (actually - no "maybe" about it, but obviously that's not something I can talk about ;) ) but I'd like to see some of you lot off the leash. 😈

Not sure about these new emoticons, tbh. 💀

5 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Seems odd - and I have to say, a little patronising - that discussion of some incredibly important everyday things should be absolutely off-limits.

It's a bit 'control freak' if you ask me, but then it's not my forum. And I get most things off my chest by wandering about in the nude, shouting at traffic. However the idea that one shouldn't use certain words in the English language (also known as 'swearing') because it might offend teenagers is frankly risible. Most teenagers I come into contact with (including my son) swear freely at all times and have quite an impressive vocabulary of the profane...

@discreet Re. displaying the new emojis. I'm checking the other computer, and I can see the new emojis in my posts (it's another PC with Firefox and Win 10). However, Jack can't see them on his computer (Chrome on Win 7 I think).

The update banner at the top of the page has a message from Ped regarding some improvements, including emojis. It may be that the site needs a tweak to cater for earlier versions of Windows or different browsers.

4 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

@discreet Re. displaying the new emojis. I'm checking the other computer, and I can see the new emojis in my posts (it's another PC with Firefox and Win 10). However, Jack can't see them on his computer (Chrome on Win 7 I think).

The update banner at the top of the page has a message from Ped regarding some improvements, including emojis. It may be that the site needs a tweak to cater for earlier versions of Windows or different browsers.

I'm using Chrome on Windows Bloody Vista, so that makes a lot of sense. Thanks. :)

• Like 1

Our flipping filter is the best bloody flipping filter ever! Talkbass enquired if they could pretty please have it, but we’re not sharing with these bass loving onanists.

.... this of course is not true, they don’t love bass, they just love chatting about it.

Making a dash for the naughty corner....

Edited by HazBeen

2 hours ago, Yank said:

Talkbass?  Sounds too close to Basschat.  Sue the bastards!

We've tried to call them out, our ten best against theirs, but our challenge got moderated and I got a lifetime ban under TB's strict 'no frivolous  postings' policy.

Edited by Cato
  • Haha 1