Why become a member? ×

Slimline necks - whats available?

Elfrasho

Need a bit of guidance from you experts here! The past 15 years I've almost exclusively played with thin necks, front to back (i think its measured). I had an aerodyne jazz which was great, then i got a Bass Collection Jazz which was amazing. I've got myself a Fender US special Jazz recently, and although its not exactly huge, it's still a bit to get used to. The thing sounds immense and plays well (and is my dream design- black on black/maple neck) so I'm willing to persevere with it, but I'm slightly worried this might be one of these situations where the player doesnt 'get on' with the bass. 

I'm flirting with the idea of picking up another Bass collection, if i can find one 2nd hand for the same price I sold mine, but I might want something a bit more exciting! Been to all the local music shops and Ibanez seem to be the 'choice' for slimlin necks, but in all honesty, id rather not buy something brand new then being in the same position 6 months down the line, then selling it on for half the price!

So what is there out there with a slimline neck? 2nd hand budget around £500-£700. Nothing pointy, but I'm open to most other things.  

Fraser

2 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

Check out various basses in the Ibanez ranges; other manufacturers produce basses where necks vary over time or across the brand but Ibanez are renowned for skinnier necks.

+1 For your budget you should be able to bag a second hand Ibby SR Premium with excellent Nordstrand big single pups, a versatile EQ allowing both active and passive modes and single string bridge pieces only found in basses from other brands costing two to three times as much. Oh and one of the most playable necks of any bass!

Slimmest neck without getting stupid - best of the bunch IMHO is the MM Sterling.  A US one is a bit above your budget (apart from the rare and no longer made US SUB) but you might bag a used SB14 which I believe had the same neck dimensions. 

• Like 1

I was going to say the Sterling as well if you can find one cheap enough.

The Geddy Lee Jazz has the slimmest neck I've ever played - I had an FSR Precision Special and rumour had it that it had the same neck dimensions and granted it was mighty slim.

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Peavey Fury had the slimmest neck I have played, both nut width and depth.  A lot of other Peaveys would be there too, though i don't have first hand experience of them.

I have a Peavey Zodiac DE as well as an Ibanez SR1000 in my stable and while there's no doubt that the Ibanez SR neck profile is skinny and fast, but compared to the Peavey it's a tree trunk xD 

Spoiler

I might be looking to move the Peavey on shortly so drop me a PM if you're interested :ph34r:;)

9 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

Need a bit of guidance from you experts here! The past 15 years I've almost exclusively played with thin necks, front to back (i think its measured). I had an aerodyne jazz which was great, then i got a Bass Collection Jazz which was amazing. I've got myself a Fender US special Jazz recently, and although its not exactly huge, it's still a bit to get used to. The thing sounds immense and plays well (and is my dream design- black on black/maple neck) so I'm willing to persevere with it, but I'm slightly worried this might be one of these situations where the player doesnt 'get on' with the bass. 

I'm flirting with the idea of picking up another Bass collection, if i can find one 2nd hand for the same price I sold mine, but I might want something a bit more exciting! Been to all the local music shops and Ibanez seem to be the 'choice' for slimlin necks, but in all honesty, id rather not buy something brand new then being in the same position 6 months down the line, then selling it on for half the price!

So what is there out there with a slimline neck? 2nd hand budget around £500-£700. Nothing pointy, but I'm open to most other things.  

Fraser

This is what you want, a Geddy Lee neck for your Jazz Bass special! I've bought from Stratosphere many times....expensive but worth it.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-Fender-Geddy-Lee-JAZZ-BASS-NECK-J-Maple-Black-Block-Inlays-Bass-Guitar/142714298432?hash=item213a6f6040:g:lgYAAOSwo~1aoIWK

That is

1 hour ago, gjones said:

This is what you want, a Geddy Lee neck for your Jazz Bass special! I've bought from Stratosphere many times....expensive but worth it.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2017-Fender-Geddy-Lee-JAZZ-BASS-NECK-J-Maple-Black-Block-Inlays-Bass-Guitar/142714298432?hash=item213a6f6040:g:lgYAAOSwo~1aoIWK

That is not such a bad idea by the way! 

Why not pick up one of those cheap necks on eBay and make it whatever profile you want?

If you don't feel confident in doing the work yourself ask Jezz or Andy (or your luthier of choice) to the work for you?

I would expect it to be well within your budget and you can fit it to any body you want.

4 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Sandberg MarloweDK

37mm at the nut

very slim and fast with a great feel all around, it pushes your budget though

There's an early one from 2012/13 just listed on eBay today but it's £1,100 which is way above @Elfrasho's budget. You should be able to pick up plenty of other s/h Sandbergs for under £700 though.

@rushscored4 @Elfrasho

Yep just seen that, and if you are interested.......

Its overpriced, his description is wrong it’s not delano pups, defo Sandberg in House pick ups, i’d hardly call a strap ‘plus extras’, it’s a 3rd hand bass minimum, plus I know that he has hiked the price he paid for it a few weeks ago, so he is gaming it quite hard, and he should know they are about 4kg.

They should be about £900 regardless of recen price hike IMO, and that is fair for a wonderful bass.

To get a Sandy closer to £700 you would be looking at one without ageing done, that is of course personal preference. A TT (jazz) bass has a neck but width of about 39mm and is still slim and nice, there is not a lot in it, you may struggle for under £700 for a Sandy, but you may get lucky.

If you are interested in a DK, and want to know more I will happily oblige, shoot me a pm

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

@rushscored4 @Elfrasho

Its overpriced, his description is wrong it’s not delano pups, defo Sandberg in House pick ups, i’d hardly call a strap ‘plus extras’, it’s a 3rd hand bass minimum, plus I know that he has hiked the price he paid for it a few weeks ago, so he is gaming it quite hard, and he should know they are about 4kg.

They should be about £900 regardless of recen price hike IMO, and that is fair for a wonderful bass.

To get a Sandy closer to £700 you would be looking at one without ageing done, that is of course personal preference. A TT (jazz) bass has a neck but width of about 39mm and is still slim and nice, there is not a lot in it, you may struggle for under £700 for a Sandy, but you may get lucky.

If you are interested in a DK, and want to know more I will happily oblige, shoot me a pm

I've seen the electras, which are probably more realistically my price point. Much experience in those? Nowhere near me stocks those either as far as I can tell! 

That one does look lovely though I must say! 

Electra’s a good basses, yes they are assembled in the East but all final Quality control is done at the ‘Home’ in Germany.

Excellent Customer Service which @CameronJ can confirm.

He had a second hand minimum bass, tuning peg broke on it, he emailed Sandberg and the owner Holger replied personally and they sent out a replacement tuner Free of charge, remember this is their budget range!

To me they are no brainers @dood did a great review on their VS4 Electra, and there are a few around on eBay and gumtree at the moment.

PMT usually have a stock, if you have one near you try one out, then you can decide if you want one second hand

I've owned a lot of Ibanez SR basses in recent years but the shallowest I've played on recently was a Yamaha TRBX504. It was as slim as an SR300 but felt narrower front to back. 

Edited by MoJo

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

@rushscored4 @Elfrasho

I already have an aged California TM4 in blue mate, a fabulous bass which cost me a lot more than that DK though!

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elfrasho said:

I've seen the electras, which are probably more realistically my price point. Much experience in those? Nowhere near me stocks those either as far as I can tell!

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Electra’s a good basses, yes they are assembled in the East but all final Quality control is done at the ‘Home’ in Germany.

Excellent Customer Service which @CameronJ can confirm.

He had a second hand minimum bass, tuning peg broke on it, he emailed Sandberg and the owner Holger replied personally and they sent out a replacement tuner Free of charge, remember this is their budget range!

To me they are no brainers @dood did a great review on their VS4 Electra, and there are a few around on eBay and gumtree at the moment.

PMT usually have a stock, if you have one near you try one out, then you can decide if you want one second hand

Yep, I’m very impressed with my Electra VS4. As Cuzzie says, their customer service was pretty damn remarkable considering the company had received zero money directly from me. I couldn’t believe it. The evening that I foolishly snapped my g string tuning peg I emailed Sandberg asking if I could buy new tuners Direct from them, and Holger himself replied about 4am simply asking “Where do you live?”. I told him my address and a little over a week later I had a shiny new tuner through my letterbox.

As far as the quality of the bass itself, I have zero complaints. Yes it’s Sandberg’s “entry level” line but the whole bass looks and feels top notch. If you didn’t know it was the entry line and someone just handed you the bass for a blind test you’d never know. It’s just rock solid, well finished and lightweight too! I have one of the older Electras in a lovely satin tobacco burst with the classic precision shape from before Sandberg changed the body styling. Picked her up for about £350 which I’d happily spend again to be honest. I’ve spent a little under £150 on mods done at The Bass Gallery - got the replacement tuner installed, had the neck “satinized” (I prefer satin necks to gloss) and got a passive tone knob added to the existing 2-band EQ stack. Oh and I put some La Bella Black Nylon Tapewounds on it which I’m absolutely loving.

The bass is definitely a keeper. I just wish they did the Electras in 5 string versions too!

• Like 1