Why become a member? ×

Fave and unfave music noises

Barking Spiders

I've just discovered how much i hate the sound of overdriven/distorted bass.

I'm learning a Bowie song which needs a fuzzy bass tone, but after a few minutes looking online at various pedal reviews/demos, the grating sound of people flailing away on overdriven bass absolutely did my head in.

Cliff Burton? Fair enough - he sounded cool.

But its not a sound I want to listen to for any length of time, sorry.

2 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Just wondrin' if Whistling Jack Smith ever gigged, just him and his lips? There could be a revival of this sort of thing

Y'know the most depressing thing? It's not actually him on the track.

He made his name miming along to someone else's whistling.

What a tragic existence.

On 02/01/2018 at 13:32, lowdown said:

Indeed, along with Jimmy Smith's Bass pedal playing (his pedal playing smokes a lot of Bass players for note choice).

Also Chester Thompson (Tower Of Power), his groove playing on Hammond is terrific. (not to mention, another Bass pedal monster).

I recently stumble across  the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio, some pretty funky bass pedal work from the main main, love it!

I can't cope with opera singers, specifically high pitched female ones. Like nails on a blackboard amplified to 140dB.

And while we're at it, strummed acoustic guitar. In that round-the-camp-fire leavin'-on-a-jet-plane kumby-ah sort of way. Wetter than Le Pétomane after a Bangalore Phall!

31 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Y'know the most depressing thing? It's not actually him on the track.

He made his name miming along to someone else's whistling.

What a tragic existence.

Yes read a bit about him,. The bloke in the clip is an actor miming while the whistling was done by one Noel Walker who was a record producer at Decca

One of my favourites: slide guitar / pedal steel guitar

One my least favourites: slide guitar / pedal steel guitar

No, I haven't contradicted itself - it's all down to context, and how it's being used. Throughout the Blues, ranging from the acoustic fingerpickers in the Delta, via electric pioneers like Elmo' James through to modern exponents like Derek Trucks and Erja Lyytinnen, I love slide guitar in the context of Blues. Ditto pedal steel, not only a rarer gem on some Blues recordings, but also found adding layers of atmosphere to Dark Side of the Moon.

But somehow - and I can't quite put my finger on what they do differently - take that shimmering slide playing to a Country ballad, and it sets my teeth on edge. Something about the way they seem determined to make it "whine" in between the singer's vocal phrases, I think.

13 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

One of my favourites: slide guitar / pedal steel guitar

One my least favourites: slide guitar / pedal steel guitar

No, I haven't contradicted itself - it's all down to context, and how it's being used. Throughout the Blues, ranging from the acoustic fingerpickers in the Delta, via electric pioneers like Elmo' James through to modern exponents like Derek Trucks and Erja Lyytinnen, I love slide guitar in the context of Blues. Ditto pedal steel, not only a rarer gem on some Blues recordings, but also found adding layers of atmosphere to Dark Side of the Moon.

But somehow - and I can't quite put my finger on what they do differently - take that shimmering slide playing to a Country ballad, and it sets my teeth on edge. Something about the way they seem determined to make it "whine" in between the singer's vocal phrases, I think.

Is it not specifically the woozy pedal steel you have an aversion to? Dave G.'s more a lap steel guy.

I like pedal steel, but it can quickly fall into cliche. When it's played well, it's a beautiful thing.

Edited by wateroftyne

7 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

I can't cope with opera singers, specifically high pitched female ones. Like nails on a blackboard amplified to 140dB.

And while we're at it, strummed acoustic guitar. In that round-the-camp-fire leavin'-on-a-jet-plane kumby-ah sort of way. Wetter than Le Pétomane after a Bangalore Phall!

Aye, the appeal of opera on recordings totally passes me by though I sort of get the appeal of live performance.  And strummed chords on an acoustic drives me nuts, me being a fingerstyle player.

On 1/2/2018 at 15:50, Trueno said:

Accordion... got to be the devil's own instrument.

Yep...I agree as a general rule...BUT...I have heard it used in a jazz context and liked it.

My own favourite music sound is a double bass and acoustic piano played in unison. Heaven. :sun_bespectacled:

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

Is it not specifically the woozy pedal steel you have an aversion to? Dave G.'s more a lap steel guy.

I like pedal steel, but it can quickly fall into cliche. When it's played well, it's a beautiful thing.

I love pedal steel done properly too. We have a steelie in our band who’s a great player, using

some effects to make it really sound individual. He’s also a sh*t hot guitarist as well.

As mentioned previously, the old country ‘whining’ style put a lot of people off I think, but it

has been used in many other genres too - as well as Gilmour, check out Stevie Wonder’s ‘Ain’t 

gonna stand for it’ for example. 

Don't know if anyone on here plays / has tried to play one, but they are ridiculously hard to 

play well. Using both hands, one foot on the volume pedal, one foot for all the pedals, and then 

knee levers as well. Oh yeah, no frets too.  Respect the steelies!

12 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Journey of the Sorcerer is ingrained in my DNA. Cosmic American Music.

Great stuff.

Also like a bit of B-bender guitar, enabling steel guitar effects to be played on a standard Telecaster etc.

Bernie Leadon was a master of this, as on 'Peaceful easy feeling'.

+1 ^^ Saw them many times, back then. Harvey (Richard, I seem to dimly remember..?) was a recognised top-notch player of recorder and penny whistle, a real virtuoso. The drummer's 'gimmick' with bells on his jester's cap for cymbal hits was comic, but only just, though.

Edited by Dad3353

Two names: Robert Randolph and the Family Band    Buddy Emmonds.  Will change your mind about  pedal steel guitarists. Especially if you get Emmonds doing cowboy jazz.

I would like to say I jammed with him but a friend(who introduced me to Buddy) and I  basically sat in a room with him, holding our instruments with our jaws dropped.  Stunning.