Why become a member? ×

Fave and unfave music noises

Barking Spiders

On 5-1-2018 at 12:46, lurksalot said:

4 awful sounds for me 

bagpipes, recorder,  a kazoo and sadly my own vocal tones 

Can't comment on your singing, but wholeheartedly agree on the other three!

Love: Fender Rhodes, overdriven Hammond through a Leslie, and that sort of post-rock guitar tone. The kind that's nearly clean, but not really. I've been listening to a lot of Dredg and Dead Letter Circus lately, and I ADORE that cleanish sound with multiple delays stacked over eachother.

18 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Can't comment on your singing, but wholeheartedly agree on the other three!

If you would like the full house , just check my entries in the monthly composition challenge B|

then if you happen to actually like it you could vote for it , but if you thought my vocal contribution was not that brilliant , you could vote for it anyway  :D

On 04/01/2018 at 21:41, casapete said:

In this country BJ Cole has been probably the leading pedal steel player for years. Amongst his credits are sessions for

Sting, Robbie Williams, Robert Plant, David Gilmour, Gerry Rafferty, The Stranglers (!), Groove Armada and Tom Jones.

I believe he also still plays with Hank Wangford & the Lost Cowboys, a great band if you get chance to see them.

Check out Stop The Panic, an album he did with Luke Vibert (aka Wagon Christ), well that's if you've any time for off kilter electronica :biggrin:

3 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

and that sort of post-rock guitar tone. The kind that's nearly clean, but not really.

I like this, though more of an old school vibe for me. That sound of when the guitar amp's power amp valves are just at

the right level, making it full and on the edge yet somehow still clean and ringing with no fizzy crap. For me it's 

Keith Richards (Honky Tonk Women etc, not Satisfaction!) , Pete Townshend, Mike Campbell etc etc. 

I dislike the way that guitar sounds have changed to it being all about lots of distortion which robs the true tone of

the guitar, and the way sounds are now obtained via masses of pedals and obligatory single preamp valve type things.

A lot of players now never touch their instrument's volume and tone controls, just preferring to dance on pedals for

every adjustment and often ending up with a thin 'wasp in a jam jar' noise. 

A good guitar, straight into a quality valve combo, is for me still the best way to a great guitar sound.