Why become a member? ×

How old is too old to play bass?

Twanger

There's a huge difference between picking up a bass at 60, after a 30-year break, and picking up a bass for the first time at 60, 45 years after your mother beat it into your head that you would never be able to play.

I desperately resent and regret the 45 wasted years. The important thing is that I've defeated the "you will never be able to do this" demons and I am actually now playing bass. The demons are still there - I grabbed the chance to play in the jam at Carlisle Blues Festival a couple of months ago with two of the best blues singers in the UK, Connie Lush and Kaz Hawkins, and pretty much turned to jelly. Held down a basic 12-bar, which was enough - and far more than I would have dared to dream for most of my life.

It's too late for some of the dreams, but it's not too late to achieve some of them. Go for it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, josie said:

The important thing is that I've defeated the "you will never be able to do this" demons and I am actually now playing bass.

Nice one, brilliant! :) More power to you. It's never too late for your dreams. Seasick Steve got his big break when he was 65.

• Like 1

(grin) I was always a bit suspicious of him right from that first appearance on Jools.  All seemed a bit like  he was imitating old blues players he may have seen years ago and (as is usually the way) not quite getting it right.

A$$hole, but at least he  has actually produced fairly decent music with his own abilities, unlike folks like Milli Vanilli....

16 minutes ago, discreet said:

His real name is Seasick Dave.

I remember seeing an interview with him when he said that if he'd been called Dave, he'd have called himself Drunk Dave. That he didn't is a boon to me, as it describes me to a T!

On 24/12/2017 at 19:01, kevvo66 said:

Your never to old for anything , if your minds in the right place I honestly believe you can do anything , but I would I'm only a youngster at 50 well 51 on the 26th ,still chasing girls I just can't catch them these days 😫

So you're clearly too old for catching girls then? :D

PS Happy birthday! 

Edited by Al Krow

This thread has brought me a great deal of joy. I’m 26 and started playing at 19, which at the time I thought was too old as I’d missed the “sweetspot” for starting to learn an instrument. Truth is, that’s nonsense - any earlier and I just wouldn’t have had the discipline or attention span to learn an instrument. So here I am, fully intending to still be playing at a ripe old age.

Much respect to you older cats who’ve been holding down the low end for decades with no intention of giving it up anytime soon. Even bigger respect to the older cats who are just starting out. Enjoy the journey!

As far as I’m concerned, the only limiting factors in playing any instrument are whether you’re still physically able to and if you still enjoy playing. 

On 22/12/2017 at 21:57, louisthebass said:

If you feel as though you can do it, go for it! :)

Exactly this. 

I really don't like the cliché, 'Age is just a number', but it is true. 

I'll do whatever I feel like doing for as long as I feel like it. 

Life's too short to be constrained by some bizarre time counting system someone felt the need to dream up centuries ago. :)

• Like 1

As I've got used again to standing up with my bass the back pains have gone. And though Adrenochome is clearly right to say that you don't actually have to play a heavy or unergonomic bass, when they're good it's a joy to do so. I'd forgotten how wonderful jazz bass pickups sound. How could I have ever stopped playing the thing?

• Like 1

Age really is just a number, if you want something go for it and enjoy it. When I was 15 and just learning the instrument there was no plan, I just enjoyed it, put time into it and pushed myself to be the best I could be, 28 years on not much has changed and I am certain I will still be doing that in 22 years when I am 65. Health permitting age is far less important than effort and having fun.