Why become a member? ×

What makes a good drummer?

mentalextra

I always feel a bit self conscious around "real drummers" with their double strokes and their fast fills and double kicking and all that. I've been watching quite a few funk and jazz (and jazz-funk) bands online recently and I realise, a lot of these guys with "chops" really don't have the timing you need to be a great drummer. Speeding up and slowing down, the odd weak hit or out of time kick drum.

I guess I'd rather have good time and average "chops"

Arf arf.

Good topic.  It's the first 'HOT!' one I've seen on BCiii.

I just wish I could hook up with one locally just to work on my groove regularly.  My step grand-daughter has a set of drums but she's six!  She doesn't drive so according to Discreet, she's off the list.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I have been very lucky and played with a lot of excellent Drummers over the years. 

Although two of them, who at a particular time I worked with quite a bit, were complete arsholes as human beings, but that didn't bother me because they were a joy to lock in with musically.

I was earning money with them, not intending to propose marriage. :biggrin:

Edited by lowdown

12 minutes ago, Tonteee said:

Much life other life partnerships, I think there's probably more than one shoe that fits.

The first drummer I really connected with in that way sadly passed away far far too soon.

To absent friends. :)

Similiar thing happened to me too 38 yrs ago. Guys name was Andy Bond he was younger than the rest of us and died a few years later....amazingly crisp player..can see him now, had an effortless metronomic groove.

Happy days.

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, oldbass said:

Similiar thing happened to me too 38 yrs ago. Guys name was Andy Bond he was younger than the rest of us and died a few years later....amazingly crisp player..can see him now, had an effortless metronomic groove.

I knew Andy. Yes, he was a lovely musician. (my wife just pointed out that he came to our wedding).

That was very sad indeed. :$

Edited by lowdown

I must have been lucky that I have played with three excellent drummers, two were pro players and all three were also drum tutors.

All three were rock solid and the tempo was like a metronome.

When you play with ones at a lesser level, which I also have, their timing wanders, one guy in particular also did backing vocals, whenever he started singing the tempo sped up.

3 hours ago, lowdown said:

I knew Andy. Yes, he was a lovely musician. (my wife just pointed out that he came to our wedding).

That was very sad indeed. :$

Sorry for the derail but amazing!..small world eh.....I think he was pretty new to it all when I did a couple of summer seasons with him back in 83 but he was def destined for greater things. And yourself? 

Should not speed up or slow down.

Play what the song needs and don't over complicate things.

Play crisp and tight (too many drummers are sloppy).

If they play a fill, they should play it like they mean it. And it should complement the song, not distract from the song.

Listen to the bassline. Bass drum should sync up with the bass guitar not compete with it.

They should be open to others opinions and not take offence when suggestions are made on how to improve the beat.

Play dynamically.

Be able to play quietly as well as they play loudly (they should be able to play with brushes?).

I am lucky as our drummer is superb technically and a great bloke to boot. We do tend to speed up a fair bit by the end of the night but that suits me anyway. He also has an almost uncanny ability to improve with alcohol consumed to a point beyond which we haven’t been able to test him. He is certainly better at drumming than talking when he is well gone. 

4 hours ago, ivansc said:

||(grin) The guy I use most these days even gets me GIGS!

Known him for a fair few years and initially he tended to speed up a lot.

I noticed and commented on how he suddenly improved a year or so back & he said he was taking lessons from a pro player.

What a transformation.

Rock solid, great feel and learns stuff so quickly we often go out and do new stuff cold. 

I love you, Tony!

There is a bond between good drummers and bass players. If the drummer is crap, it's the bass player who suffers the most pain , I feel.

The drummer, in my main band, plays with two other bands as well. He's been known to play 5 gigs in a weekend. He's popular for a reason.

I love you Ritchie :)

Edited by gjones

13 minutes ago, oldbass said:

Sorry for the derail but amazing!..small world eh.....I think he was pretty new to it all when I did a couple of summer seasons with him back in 83 but he was def destined for greater things. And yourself? 

Like Andy, I ended up doing shows for a living. We were both in the same circles really.

My wife was dancing on a summer show at (Butlins) Skegness in 1988 (Andy was in the pit band),

If I remember correctly, Andy was working for Chris Hocking (MD) and he was not so well then.

3 minutes ago, musicbassman said:

Yes, and Amen to all of the points above - but one more thing........... at rehearsals.................PLEASE PLEASE don't keep noodling around on your kit whilst we're trying to check out harmonies, or checking chords, riffs etc - JUST SHUT UP FOR FIVE MINUTES.......er......please ???  It drives us crazy!

Lololol

One of the best drummists I've ever worked with ALWAYS does that.  You only have to tell him once to shut up, but you do need to tell him.

8 hours ago, gjones said:

There is a bond between good drummers and bass players.

Guys, ever play with a drummer who doesn't get this?

I think it's just as important that other members of a band  understand this bond/relationship.

I've laid down really decent grooves looked back at the drummer who is completely oblivious and ignoring you.

Lame

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
Correction

12 hours ago, Les said:

Think you may have misunderstood me Blue. 

Wouldn't surprise me, I've been misunderstanding a lot of stuff lately.

I think I went to someone's house today for Thanksgiving because I thought I was invited. Now, I'm not sure if I was really invited.

Great food.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, oldbass said:

Turns up with ...One bass drum...One snare....One h-ihat.....One floor Tom....One overhead tom...one crash and a ride

We'd send this guy home for the rest of his stuff. Can't turn up for a metal gig with just a pot and a wooden spoon!