Why become a member? ×

Anti-slappists will despise this

TheGreek

It amazes me, when you see videos like this, that people are surprised that girls can play instruments to a high level of skill.

"Girl street performer slams like a pro"? What about the other player in the vid, or is it just because a girl can play bass?

Sorry, I'm not a fan of slap bass, but I'm not a fan of sexism either.

Edited by Skybone

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1508825621' post='3394593']
It amazes me, when you see videos like this, that people are surprised that girls can play instruments to a high level of skill.

"Girl street performer slams like a pro"? What about the other player in the vid, or is it just because a girl can play bass?

[/quote]

Rightly or wrongly, it's a more clickable headline.

I like slappers[size=5]*[/size]. Am I a sexist caveman? Probably... but I'm happy with it.

The clip is good. They don't look like starving musicians so it's a jam in the street rather than a busk in my humble 19th century opinion. It fell apart improv-wise near the end but I am sure lots of us do that when working on our chops.

[size=3]*This term used in the context of the topic "[i]Anti-slappists will despise this[/i]" has nothing to do with sex, sexuality, race, religion nor dietary preference. If you still have an axe to grind try another topic on another forum far faraway please.[/size]

[/quote]

That's clickbait for ya.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1508834766' post='3394649']
Yeah and I'm also perplexed why anyone in the online world is surprised that women can be as good as men on bass, drums, electric guitar whatever. After all no one is surprised to see female virtuosos on piano, violin, cello etc
[/quote]

I don't think anybody is surprised. There's no shortage of incredibly accomplished female bass players (slap or otherwise). However, it is still a male dominated sport. Which I don't think is a good thing at all.

[/quote]

We get this a bit, "wow, your drummers a girl !!" It's never nasty more pleasantly surprised.

I'm not usually a fan of all out slap but i found this reasonably entertaining.
Not the best playing but a nice wee bass duel.
What i did like was the 4 string V 6 string solo.
About 4 or 5 mins is all i could probably listen to before getting bored tho.

Dave

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1508782037' post='3394401']
..but I think it's cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIKNyzq38nw
[/quote]

Me too - how cool is that!!

Excellent players as well.

I've now got a Stingray strung with light gauge roundwound strings for moments when I feel like slapping, one with flatwounds for when I fancy that thumpy old fashioned style, a Fretless one for Pino (80s) and Jaco moments, and a 5 string one for funky hip hopish moments - that's all my needs covered I believe!!

Edited by drTStingray