Why become a member? ×

AndyTravis

I remember the fuss of my dads 40th.

He's 63 now.

I have 3 children.

What is this? I know of mate's at 35 still 'living'.

Bet my birthday lie-in will be until 7.30 and the kids will jump me.

They're f***ing brilliant - would much rather have what I have than be 10 years younger with nothing.

Happy birthday to me. And my gin.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1496272202' post='3310193']
And I clearly remember my dad being 33.

That was 30 years ago.

"How old are you dad?"
'33'

I remember that.

(I'm quite a few g&t's in)
[/quote]

Remember that too with my Mum when I was about 4!

Happy Birthday pal :)

I can clearly remember my first day at school aged 4[size=2], [/size] [size=2][size=4]and I can even remember who I sat next to in the class on that day, I'm now 65 and retired, and I can't remember what I did last week! :([/size][/size]

[quote name='Staggering on' timestamp='1496286420' post='3310203']
I still think I'm 33.Unforunately I just turned 71.Weird how that works.How did I get here already?
[/quote]

Aye. I am 65 now but still feel and think like I did when I was 18. I look in the mirror and think "Who the f**k is that".

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1496305188' post='3310291']
we are men, and thus we are basically 12 forever

If you disagree, just consider your response if somebody gave you a Scalextric for your birthday - (i) a childish waste of somebody else's money or (ii) wow, brilliant? I'm guessing there aren't many (i)s
[/quote]

no, I'm not childish at all. Btw, the (i) you drew looks nice, although is a bit nsfw

Getting serious for a moment, and picking up on a couple of comments about being one age while 'thinking' much younger, something really has changed.

I'm 60 (but 17 inside) and I have pretty clear memories of my parents and grandparents back in the 60s and 70s, plus of course people like teachers and neighbours and shop assistants etc.

When they hit 40 my parents were definitely "middle aged" with all the accompanying cliches. They were already going out of shape physically at depressing speed, their minds were travelling in some pretty deep grooves (I'm trying not to call them ruts), they dressed and acted like their own parents, they were increasingly concerned about behaving in an appropriate manner.

My grandparents were in their 60s by my earliest clear memories of them and they were, inevitably, even more so. In his mid-60s my grandfather (after whom I'm named, and who lived in the flat above us) was, quite simply, old. He dressed and moved like an old man, talked like an old man, and already had - at least metaphorically - one foot in the grave. I was amazed that he made it through to 76.

Like I say, something has changed. Maybe it's medicine, or lifestyle, or attitude, or everything, but in every way that matters I have a more youthful outlook at 60 than my Dad had at 40. I'm in better shape physically, more flexible and open-minded in attitude, and I still barely think of myself as being even middle-aged, let alone getting old.

My parents were unusual people for their time; they were considered to be forward-thinking and perhaps even a bit risque. If I then think about the people the same age as my parents - teachers, neighbours, shop assistants, etc. - it just gets much worse.

At one level I find myself thinking - like so many others - where did it all go. But at another level I more often find myself thinking "Gone? Who says it's gone?".

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1496308816' post='3310346']
Getting serious for a moment, and picking up on a couple of comments about being one age while 'thinking' much younger, something really has changed.

I'm 60 (but 17 inside) and I have pretty clear memories of my parents and grandparents back in the 60s and 70s, plus of course people like teachers and neighbours and shop assistants etc.

When they hit 40 my parents were definitely "middle aged" with all the accompanying cliches. They were already going out of shape physically at depressing speed, their minds were travelling in some pretty deep grooves (I'm trying not to call them ruts), they dressed and acted like their own parents, they were increasingly concerned about behaving in an appropriate manner.

My grandparents were in their 60s by my earliest clear memories of them and they were, inevitably, even more so. In his mid-60s my grandfather (after whom I'm named, and who lived in the flat above us) was, quite simply, old. He dressed and moved like an old man, talked like an old man, and already had - at least metaphorically - one foot in the grave. I was amazed that he made it through to 76.

Like I say, something has changed. Maybe it's medicine, or lifestyle, or attitude, or everything, but in every way that matters I have a more youthful outlook at 60 than my Dad had at 40. I'm in better shape physically, more flexible and open-minded in attitude, and I still barely think of myself as being even middle-aged, let alone getting old.

My parents were unusual people for their time; they were considered to be forward-thinking and perhaps even a bit risque. If I then think about the people the same age as my parents - teachers, neighbours, shop assistants, etc. - it just gets much worse.

At one level I find myself thinking - like so many others - where did it all go. But at another level I more often find myself thinking "Gone? Who says it's gone?".

:)
[/quote]I've [size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#545454]read and heard on the radio recently that up to two thirds of [/color][color=#6A6A6A][b]babies born[/b][/color][color=#545454] in the last year – more than half a million newborns – could live until they are 100.[/color][/font][/size]

Edited by thebrig

I vaguely remember something about being trapped in the era when we become adults. My grandmothers were both born during the first World War, and much like Jack's they were very old people as far back as i can remember them. Basically they dressed like the Queen Mother...

My parents are both baby boomers born during the second world war, came of age during the '60's and in their mid 70's still mostly wear jeans (well, with a nod to a comfortable pair of slacks these days).

I'm now in my late 40's and I can't imagine wearing anything other than jeans or combats and T-shirts when I'm not in a suit for work, at an age when my Grans were both in full Queen Mum mode.

Edited by Monkey Steve

Happy birthday Andy. May you enjoy many more. I saw elsewhere that your young 'uns have a great grandmother to visit, high street robberies allowing. That's special.

My dad was 50 eleven days after I was born. I was lucky to know my paternal grandfather as we all lived in one house for a time. Grandad taught me to ride a bicycle. I seem to be in the minority here in that I identify more with the older generations. Now that I am in my fifties life is a lot easier for me.

Happy birthday mate. :-)

I'm 54 this year, and over the past few years several things have struck me; like Happy Jack says, my 2 nans were old - in dress and possibly mindset -when I was born, although they were probably only in their 60s at most (I'll have to find out actually). One of my grandads died before I was born and the other shortly after so I have no memory of them. My younger sister briefly had a period of dressing like my nan - don't ask me why - and gave a not dissimilar impression, despite only being in her 40s, so the style has something to do with it, visually at least.

For me, the main issue is my timeline seems really out of synch. Being on Foundation Course seems about 3,4 years ago. I was 17. Uni seems longer ago, but then the former was one of the happiest periods of my life and the latter one of the least happy, so I suspect my brain is giving it distance. My first job - again a happy time, despite the work - seems like no more than a decade ago, as does being on the dole immediately after Uni, whereas things that happened ten years ago (mostly bad) seem like a lifetime. It's all topsy-turvy.

Some things that really hit home recently; I was reminiscing with a friend about the first time we met Lemmy. I was 17 and Lemmy was 35, IIRC, on the Ace of Spades tour. That makes me roughly 18 years older now than he was then, which seems impossible. It's like finding out you're older than God. My stepdad took early retirement - at least until he had to work again - when I was 21, which I recently worked out made him about my age now, which meant my mum at that time was younger than I am now. And yet that seems like yesterday, or last year at most. And of course we lost John Noakes the other day, who it turned out was roughly the same age as my mum, which also seems impossible, given I still imagine him climbing Nelson's Column, something my mum would definitely be incapable of!

As has been stated elsewhere, the worst part is it just goes faster and faster the older you get. If you think it's gone fast at 33 Andy, just wait til you're 53 and desperately trying to apply the brakes. ;-)

Im too young to reply to that topic... Ha ha, let me just say - Happy Birthday, all the best.
I remember when there was a big fuss about a year 2000, feels like it was only a couple of years ago... And in 2.5 years we have 2020.