Why become a member? ×

What's left to do when you're old?

thepurpleblob

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1490887093' post='3268833']
I get stir crazy if I don't gig. Feb and March were slow and I ended up chewing the furniture. April looks much busier. Maybe I need to get a life.
[/quote]

That [i]is [/i]a life

65 here. First of this year's band gigs on Saturday as there is a season for most covers bands here (April to October with a few Xmas dates) I'll play about once a week and that's enough for me and the two French guys but the singer would gig 365 nights a year if she could so, she has another band.

As been said already, if you want to continue playing to suit you, find like-minded people.

76. I mucked out three stables this morning while the Mrs swanned round the lanes with a friend. Then I got the harrows out and put everything together and in the meantime mowed two lawns. Then before supper went round half the paddocks (8 acres) with the harrows. Gig tomorrow evening so I'll take it a bit easy. But don't let the above fool you, I'm really feeling old these days.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1490877234' post='3268688']
Well, not that old. I'm in my early 50s and have some health issues that really never killed anyone but it does make staying out until 2am a non-starter. I don't have the energy any more

I have played in covers bands for years but got sacked (well, the rest of the band left me but that's another story) a few months back because I wouldn't play multiple nights in a week. It's all right saying you only want to play a couple of times a month but when bands start to pick up gigs they don't knock them back and before you know it... friday night, saturday night, sunday afternoon.

I think I'm about to sell all my gear and buy some better camera equipment but I'm a bit sad about it.

What are the alternatives? Any bright ideas appreciated :)
[/quote]

Scary thought for me. I've been gigging since 1966, it's the only thing in life that really clicked for me.

At 64, I still live for those 3 gig weekends.

If my band were to fold, I'd be sunk. Finding another working band would be impossible.

If you have other interests in life you will be fine. I won't.

Blue

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1490891001' post='3268885']
64, and don't gig enough! I do find it hard, and arthritis certainly doesn't help, but 4 to 8 gigs a month is fine. I'd possibly do more if they were available.
[/quote]

Cool, good to know there are other guys my age with the same outlook on gigging.

It's either in your blood or it's not.

Blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1490883890' post='3268796']
I'm 59 and play most weekends, in fact looking forward to the end of April when we have a full gig on Saturday afternoon, followed by another at a bike rally in the evening. Plus gigs Easter Saturday and Sunday, different venues but both in Swindon (25 mikes each way for me). Can't think of anything I'd rather be doing, dread the thought of stopping. Thought I might have to stop after my bike accident 16 months ago, but managed to fight back. Busier than ever now.
[/quote]

Cool,

You have the spirit Dave. It's meant for you.And like me, you enjoy it.

I'll never understand all the "gig complainers" The guys that will only gig under certain circumstances and frequencies.

If it's not in your heart why do it at all?

Blue

51 and reasonably fit. Our gigs go in fits and starts a bit as the guitarist is in a "name" band and tours occasionally. That suits me pretty well as I get a few weekends off every once in a while but am then itching to play when we get back together. We do think twice about doing 3 in a weekend these days though - the drummer is 65.

I've recently taken up building guitars, which I find very rewarding and can chug along at my own pace. I've nearly finished my first one - 18 months so far :D That might be an option for a musically related hobby for you :)

Just hit 71 this year. I gave up regular gigging a couple of years ago. Not been the same since the Prostate Cancer op 8 years ago although I must confess that I also just got bored with the politics of the last band and the Saturday nights away from home. Probably just a symptom of old age.

Nowadays I play 2 or 3 times a year for an Elvis tribute band for charity plus the occasional local jam however I have no intention of ever getting back into a regular gigging band. I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot better bass players younger than me and that I should call it a day and stand down. Still enjoy playing along to my favourites and learning new stuff at home however.

Never say never.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490895558' post='3268929']
Cool,

You have the spirit Dave. It's meant for you.And like me, you enjoy it.

I'll never understand all the "gig complainers" The guys that will only gig under certain circumstances and frequencies.

If it's not in your heart why do it at all?

Blue
[/quote]

Pretty much my attitude too, Blue. I love gigging, the uncertainty of what the venue/PA/sound-man/monitor mix/amp or cab I`ll be using/audience/merch sales are going to be like, the whole bl**dy lot of it. Even the drives back in the small hours, especially in the spring and summer months are a pleasure.

Edited by Lozz196

I'm the youngest in our band at 57 and like most people have a few health issues altho nothing i can't work around.
I was playing with a Glam Rock covers band and when i retired at 56 i thought this would help take up some of my free time.
I've never played in a band that gigs 2-3 times a week and found it too demanding on my free time.
I gave that up and now play with a group of guys that range from me at 57 to guitarist at 70. They nearly all play in at least 1 -2 other bands and show no signs of slowing up. We intend gigging maybe once a month or thereabouts so no pressure at all. I'm lovin it. :lol:
Bands are and always have been a hobby for me and never a job and when it feels like a job then its time to change things.
I now have my free time to spend on other hobbies and keeping myself a little fit without going daft ie cycling, exercise training and walking all dependant on weather. During summer i am out in garden pottering around.
Don't give up. Try and find like minde musicians in your area and even just go along for a jam session.

Dave

I stopped completely at 26 because I thought I was getting too old.

I feel silly about that now but it was good to have a 4yr break at the time. The last 15yrs of playing again have been much more enjoyable, As has been stated already, i[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]f you're not enjoying it any more, then don't do it. [/font][/color]

The double bass player in this film is one of my musical heroes - he was in his eighties when this was filmed, and still touring as far as I know... My violinist cousin pointed out that although the violin playing is impressive, there are a lot of violinists who could play this, but very few rhythm sections who could make a violinist sound this good. I like it because it gives me hope - I've still got 30 or 40 years to practice my arco playing...
[media]http://youtu.be/4W7N-jEl93o?list=PL3E23BBAF840E39D0[/media]

Edited by JoeEvans

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1490888710' post='3268852']
Some 'Old People' pass-times I've noticed are;

Driving very slowly,especially during rush hour.
Paying for the weekly shop in 2p pieces.
Asking for a full ingredients and cooking process breakdown whilst ordering a pub lunch.

These all look like splendid fun.
[/quote]

😂

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1490893272' post='3268910']
76. I mucked out three stables this morning while the Mrs swanned round the lanes with a friend. Then I got the harrows out and put everything together and in the meantime mowed two lawns. Then before supper went round half the paddocks (8 acres) with the harrows. Gig tomorrow evening so I'll take it a bit easy. But don't let the above fool you, I'm really feeling old these days.
[/quote]

If you're doing 8 acres with the harrows at 76, it may be time you treated yourself to a tractor or something.

:)

I'm 53 , I have played bass and guitar since I was 18 yrs old , so if I'm not in a gigging band , I am equally happy playing (classical ) guitar for my own pleasure . I have also bought a djembe and getting to grips with simple percussion .

Music is so multifaceted , different styles from different countries played with different instruments , how can anyone get bored with it?

I love gigging , but there is so much more to life than playing DadRock in a pub band.

Or just buy a motorbike ( as previously suggested )

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1490905511' post='3269010']

Pretty much my attitude too, Blue. I love gigging, the uncertainty of what the venue/PA/sound-man/monitor mix/amp or cab I`ll be using/audience/merch sales are going to be like, the whole bl**dy lot of it. Even the drives back in the small hours, especially in the spring and summer months are a pleasure.
[/quote]

Exactly, we accept and understand the whole spectrum of local level gigging.

All gigs are are not going to be perfect.Small crowds, bad acoustics, bad weather and even those gigs where your playing is off.

Then there are those gigs where it's like magic from the first note you hit.

My advice to guys new to gigging; be open minded, don't sweat the small stuff. Things will go wrong, don't let those things break your spirit and stay positive.

Blue

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1490910801' post='3269078']
I don't need a motorbike. My other hobby is driving trains for a heritage railway. 266 Litre diesel engine this weekend :lol:
[/quote]Have you ever been down to my town Bridgnorth? the Severn Valley Railway is fantastic, mostly steam but does have a few diesels, and my local is The Railwayman's Arms which is on the platform of Bridgnorth station and is quite unique as it has never closed since it first opened in 1861. :)

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1490905248' post='3269005']

I've come to the conclusion that there are a lot better bass players younger than me and that I should call it a day and stand down. Still enjoy playing along to my favourites and learning new stuff at home however.[/quote]

Stay healthy. At 71 you had a great run and a sensible decision to bow out from the scene gracefully.

The Elvis gig sounds cool.

Me, I'll be the guy they have to drag off the stage kicking and screaming when the bass rock n roll Grimm reaper comes to get me. 😁

Blue

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1490913113' post='3269095']
Have you ever been down to my town Bridgnorth? the Severn Valley Railway is fantastic, mostly steam but does have a few diesels, and my local is The Railwayman's Arms which is on the platform of Bridgnorth station and is quite unique as it has never closed since it first opened in 1861. :)
[/quote]

No I've not been but I will get around to it!