Why become a member? ×

OK, this is a possibly weird question about gigging...

Telebass

We gig 6- 7 times a month. Spouses actually are a big part of the band.

Our lead guitarist who is also our lead vocalist/ front person and band leader husband runs sound and lights he's obviously at every gig. Our other guitarists wife does marketing, merch sales, interacts and builds relationships with club and bar owners and handles all the money and pays us. She's been at every gig for the past 5 years. She also helps with tear down.

Drumnwers wife is at every gig because she so in love with the guy

Me, not married and no girl friend. I prefer being alone at gigs.

I'm always weiry of the guy whose wife never comes to a gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1490554694' post='3265941']
Mrs2611 comes to most gigs in her capacity of photographer, roadie, gear babysitter and official wine taster!

With the old covers band the girls used to use it as a social occasion.
[/quote]

I think that's cool.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1490560178' post='3266009']
I'm in the zero % chance of attracting a lady too.

However last night or this morning when I got home, I received a friend request on Facebook from a young lady half my age that I recognized from being at our show.

Can I get a "woop woop" ! 😁

Blue
[/quote]

Woop woop Blue!

All I got last night was an offer from "Garry' to join an originals band that doesn't gig very much, scribbled on a note

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1490560714' post='3266014']

Why's that Blue?

Also, have a 'whoop whoop' from me 😉
[/quote]

In my experience, the wife that doesn't ever show up is also the wife that is non-existent and would prefer it if he was not gigging.

Of course there are exceptions.

Blue

Edited by blue

From what I can remember, being in the band can’t but help increase your chances of pulling, assuming that you are interested (happily married for a while now so not an issue for me anymore). So, a quick ‘woop’ for Blue maybe in order.

My missus comes to gigs when she fancies it and if it is practical. She will usually come to the local gigs with the rock covers band with her friends if she hasn’t got to work an early shift the next day. She generally won’t come to the shows a bit further away unless there is room in the van. Sometimes she will come with me on the long-distance blues gigs because she worries about me driving home on my own in the early hours (obviously depending on work, etc). it really isn’t an issue for her or any of the other WAGS – they come when they feel like it and generally treat it as a night out…

Ive played nearly 70 gigs with my current band and my wife has been to 2 of them. Partly because we have kids and limited babysitters and partly because she hates out genre of music.
Every morning after a gig the first thing she asks me is how many women were at out gig las night.

My wife rarely comes to our gigs, mainly because the kind of places we play are not the kind of places she wants to come to. It doesn't bother me at all. As someone said earlier in the thread, having kids limits spousal gig attendance, but she will often come to the festivals we play or some other family friendly event.

My five year old son however has been bitten by the bug having seen us play for the first time last summer. The look of joy on his face at experiencing loud, live rock music for the first time will stay with me forever.

Sue comes to every one and has done for 17 years. She helps set up and tear down, does the lights and tells me if I am too loud or quiet. The only problem is I really don't know if she likes the music! She says she does but I don't really believe her. Oh, and she drives if there are free drinks all night.

My wife generally comes to see the bands I'm in a couple of times a year. The sets don't evolve that quickly and she's not a live music fan generally so that's pretty supportive IMO. Generally she comes along when we have friends visiting, by the time I've set up knocked down and maybe chatted with a few of the audience and the promoter there isn't much time with her at a gig. She'll make a point of coming to a first gig with a new band though.

We have young kids, so we rarely get the chance even though she likes the music- and will definitely tell me if we're crap. If it's a local gig with an afternoon load in, we sometimes show up mob handed for the soundcheck and all the various band-kids occupy each other. A bit OT, but I think it's good for kids to experience this sort of thing, learning to behave in adult environments, seeing that art is something anyone can have a go at - even your dad. Arts/gallery type events tend to be pretty welcoming anyway and that's more our scene than the pub circuit. I sure as hell wouldn't suggest turning out to a rock club in Leicester (or wherever) though. Even I don't enjoy that. There's a married couple in the band and they have kids too, plus the violinist's husband sometimes does our live sound so its a family friendly environment. We don't exactly have delusions of rock'n'roll at this point.

It really depends.
My fiancé doesn't come to many gigs I play at the moment, because most of them are either a) deps B) boring to her (and sometimes me) c)weddings. However I do a lot of the theatre work round here, and she usually comes to one night of any show I do that she hasn't seen before - e.g. this week she came to Bonnie and Clyde

My wife comes to 95% of my gigs, and when I'm not gigging, we usually go to one of the live music pubs in town to see a band, so she does like seeing live bands anyway.

She doesn't just sit there when we arrive or finish, she always helps everyone with taking the gear in and out, and she has a pretty good ear when it comes to sound checks.

As a band, we like to have our wags come to the gigs, it's a social thing for them, it helps fill out the venues, extra money being spent on drinks which all helps getting repeat bookings. :)

And she also thinks that bass players are the coolest sounding member of bands. :rolleyes:

I certainly never expected my wife to come to everything, and was quite surprised she did for so long, so it is odd to expect someone else's wife to come. However in the last group where 2 out of 3 other halves came to every show, it did seem odd that we never saw the guitarists wife once, so it is probably just that.

My missus doesn't bother coming to my covers gigs - we've got kids and it ain't worth the hassle to sort out babysitters etc just to see me in a pub.

She used to come along years ago when the other various wives and girlfriends came too, but over the years that's dwindled.

She does come to see some original gigs tho - especially if they're outside and the kids can come too!

Sometimes the "WAGS" have an evening of it for no particular reason other than they are all free that night. They have a good drink , a natter ect and we drive em back home.

If we are doing a known "paid rehearsal" like some pheonix nights type working mens club or its one of em known places where its hardly any punters and she's on her own I prefer she doesn't come along. I find that really distracting because I'm thinking more about if she's ok than getting on with it. If there is some annoying nutter in the place you can guarantee they make a beeline for her!!

If I think or know up front its gonna be one of those gigs I will usually say so prior. She has seen it all before now and will usually decide based on experience of coming to my gigs which are the ones she and her friends want to attend.

Either way though she is 100% supportive and gets it. She doesn't feel she has to attend all gigs and sometimes prefers not to and sometimes just wants to come along just because.

My ex wife different story.....without going into it, gig + ex wife = no. Just no.

I'm still thinking my point is not being grasped. Do other people, on finding out from one's other half that you are a practicing muso, seem to think, for whatever reason, that she should attend every gig? Is that not completely weird?