Why become a member? ×

are we being ripped off by the shop or manufacture?

bassjim

hello folks.

So today I get back from a little trip surfing and need some strings for this weekends disasters/gigs.

Because I have left it till the last minute I have to go into town to buy my favourite roto sounds. ( i like these so no I dont want to try xyz right now . these are my prefered brand.)

A few weeks ago online and in the shops about £12.00 a set.

Now, apparently because of brexit, they have gone up to £18.00 a set.

Not asking for a for and against brexit point of view here but more of an explanation as to why, when we haven't actually left yet, why the price has suddenly gone up.

Anyone from Rotosound want to chip in? Have you put prices up? Why? Brexit effects you because ? You import French steel and they are punishing us early?All the cheap labour gone home? British steel and other british ingredients no good?

Any one in the retail want to chip in? Prices are up because of Rotosound? Or.. did everyone across the board exhaust all stock bought in two weeks ago and this is all brand new stock?

I do get a feeling I'm being taken for a ride here.....

Any excuse to gouge the consumer. Decimalisation, Referendum to join the Common Market, Referendum to leave the EU, general election, Saturdays, holidays, post-holidays, having a pee, breathing... pretty much anything at all will put prices up.

Rotosound used to do crazy deals to retail - I think it may even have been BOGOF. May be a case of the shop previously passing on some of that discount.

I don't get the "are we being ripped off" question. It is business, and there are items that can be sold at a decent profit margin (strings, straps, plectrums etc.) that help shops stay afloat when they have very low margins on their higher value items - the instruments.

Edited by Mykesbass

Not the same sector but my mates business used to heavily discount stuff all the time, his attitude was that even if he only made a quid then it was a quid in his pocket and there would be another on the shelf the next day anyway. Now he is unsure of prices from one day to the next and whatever the price is it's higher than it was last week. Because of that he now won't discount at the moment (unless it's to mates thankfully) as the market is so volatile that he could end up losing out. He is royally peed off by the whole thing as the uncertainty is costing him customers and the prospect of it continuing for years is causing him real concern. He pulled out of buying a new house because of it. I am glad I work in a fairly safe sector, my wages are being undermined but there are a lot of people very nervous at the moment.

I guess similar may apply in lots of sectors, so people aren't discounting for the above reasons. Or could just be old fashioned profiteering of course.........

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1488644973' post='3250752']
I wish my strings were as cheap. £18 is still not bad. I hope the surfing trip helps take the edge off it for you.
[/quote]
well i did catch my first green waves. the one where i rode all the way back to shore standing up with a robot dance finish was very cool. no one filmed it though.... bit like my best bass solo in public....

Rotosound Rotos seem to be still available for around £12/£13 a set in some places.
Also Legacy Nickel Roundwounds (which I believe may be re-branded Rotos?) for around £22 for a twin pack.

or these, good strings at good value
[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34/legacy-legacy-legacy-4-string-nickel-roundwound-45-105-long-scale-bass-guitar-strings-3-pack-p10254"]http://www.stringsdi...s-3-pack-p10254[/url]

and Ive gigged these suckers, no complaints
https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_valuestrings_bassguitar_medium.htm

Edited by skidder652003

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1488649062' post='3250797']
well i did catch my first green waves. the one where i rode all the way back to shore standing up with a robot dance finish was very cool. no one filmed it though.... bit like my best bass solo in public....
[/quote]

Nice.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1488654160' post='3250860']
or these, good strings at good value
[url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/bass-guitar-strings-sets-c34/legacy-legacy-legacy-4-string-nickel-roundwound-45-105-long-scale-bass-guitar-strings-3-pack-p10254"]http://www.stringsdi...s-3-pack-p10254[/url]

and Ive gigged these suckers, no complaints
[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_valuestrings_bassguitar_medium.htm"]https://www.thomann....itar_medium.htm[/url]
[/quote]
Yep, that.

I guess it's those inconsiderate workers in the UK factory that want to earn cash money! And they want to eat! And live in brick houses!

I guess you could resort to making your own if you think you can do it cheaper.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1488657546' post='3250896']
Yep, that.

I guess it's those inconsiderate workers in the UK factory that want to earn cash money! And they want to eat! And live in brick houses!

I guess you could resort to making your own if you think you can do it cheaper.
[/quote]
is you is or is you aint got caaaash moneeee!!!??

Surprised nobody's mentioned the business rate rises. Small businesses are facing a massive business rate rise any minute now, so expect shops to put prices up accordingly. Some businesses are facing an increase of 50%, another nail in the UK's coffin. Cue endless Poundland stores on all high streets, and no independent stores anywhere.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1488669804' post='3250995']
Surprised nobody's mentioned the business rate rises. Small businesses are facing a massive business rate rise any minute now, so expect shops to put prices up accordingly. Some businesses are facing an increase of 50%, another nail in the UK's coffin. Cue endless Poundland stores on all high streets, and no independent stores anywhere.
[/quote]

How much, as a proportion of overall overheads, is business rates..? 50% rise sounds a lot (and indeed it is...!), but what impact does that have on the 'bottom line'..? It could well be negligible. Just curious. :unsure:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1488644444' post='3250745']
Any excuse to gouge the consumer. Decimalisation, Referendum to join the Common Market, Referendum to leave the EU, general election, Saturdays, holidays, post-holidays, having a pee, breathing... pretty much anything at all will put prices up.
[/quote]

This.

My strings have jumped up a fiver!

Having owned a shop in the past, the rates was a very considerable overhead. It's like the Council is another member of staff - only that one doesn't do much. They don't even take much rubbish away. You have to take out a contract with a private company to get that done.