Why become a member? ×

What string gauge do you use ?

dmccombe7

45 - 105. These seem to be the "regular" gauge so I`ve figured that if I get caught short it will be easier to get hold of a set of regular gauge than others. I used to use Rotosound 50 - 110s and so few places stocked them this was my reasoning for going regular.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1485209806' post='3222228']
45 - 105. These seem to be the "regular" gauge so I`ve figured that if I get caught short it will be easier to [s]get hold of[/s] [i]mooch[/i] a set of regular gauge than others. I used to use Rotosound 50 - 110s and so few places stocked them this was my reasoning for going regular.
[/quote]

Fixed. Heeheehee.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1485255141' post='3222443']
These: [url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_valuestrings_bassguitar_medium.htm"]https://www.thomann....itar_medium.htm[/url]
[/quote]

Wow they're cheap. Any good and do they last.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1485256755' post='3222465']
Wow they're cheap. Any good and do they last.

Dave
[/quote]

Yes and yes! I have them on all my basses now (except my fretless). They last remarkably well, and after half an hour in some ethanol thay are as good as new again. You can do this three or four times before they start to deteriorate.

I would never pay "full" price for bass strings now. When Howard the Bass Doc did some work on my Geddy Lee J a few weeks back, he commented on how much he liked the strings. Lovely gold silks too! B)

Definitely worth a try! :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1485427565' post='3223854']

Are you bassist for the Jesus and Mary Chain? Crikey, they must sound really toppy.
[/quote]

Haha! They can be! I tried them out of curiosity once because they were the strings Stuart Zender used throughout his Jamiroquai tenure. I instantly liked the low tension, bouncy, pliable feel and have never looked back since. I find lower gauges a lot more dynamic to the touch and expressive to use.

Edited by 40hz

D'Addario and often Balanced Tension sets, but it does depend on the bass: My Shuker has a low F# and I have been testing out a .182 on that but can go as far as .190 should I drop another tone (though these two strings come from another manufacturer, D'Addario DO do a .170).

For my 4 stringers, something around .105 for the E feels familiar. Thing is though, it also depends on the design of the string which also affects tension. I really like D'Addario for offering such a wide range of great strings. The NYXL's are superb and I love the FlexSteels on my 80's Fender PJ. There's something nice about the Nickel Balanced Tension strings on my '76 P bass and not forgetting Pro Steels which have that aggressive zing to them for the my 7 string :)

45-105 again. Currently D'Addario Pro Steels.

I put my choice down to Rotosound being the most widely available strings in the 1980s (at least in my memory!). That was their standard gauges. I tried different ones over the years but eventually just stuck to what I was comfortable with.

In the early 90s I used Dean Markley Blue Steel which I seem to remember had a .47 gauge G and once tried some Superwound 40-90 but I broke them - only string breaks ever.

[quote name='40hz' timestamp='1485260146' post='3222522']
35-95 Elites Stainless Steel.
[/quote]

My Warwick came with Elites back in 89 and i used them for quite a few years. Changed mfr but still like 35-95 gauge on Warwick for some reason. Just seems to sound and feel better Think i have elixir strings on that one.
Dave

[quote name='el borracho' timestamp='1485449723' post='3224064']
45-105 again. Currently D'Addario Pro Steels.

I put my choice down to Rotosound being the most widely available strings in the 1980s (at least in my memory!). That was their standard gauges. I tried different ones over the years but eventually just stuck to what I was comfortable with.

In the early 90s I used Dean Markley Blue Steel which I seem to remember had a .47 gauge G and once tried some Superwound 40-90 but I broke them - only string breaks ever.
[/quote]

Superwound string was the one and only string i ever broke too. Used a superwound low B on my Overwater to brighten tone a bit with Overwater standard string gauges.
Now back to full Overwater strings mainly cause i won them at bass bash raffle :D

Dave