Why become a member? ×

How high do you crank your amp?

hrnn1234

The watts and volume discussion has no end. It's all relative: loudness, perceived volume, headroom, whatever. Maybe this is the ultimate indicator?

I play in a hard rock band (goth n roll, technically) with a medium loudness drummer. The guitar player has a 100w valve setup through a 4xsomething.

My GK MB200 is never over 9 o'clock without any of the guys asking me to turn it down. It's now going through a 2x12 Noisy Box (one man shop from poland). It's a 4ohm box but I hear no difference with the ashdown 2x10 I had before with 8ohm.

Every now and then I think about "upgrading" but with this reality I see no point. Theres really a lot volume on tap to go.

I'm curious how far up you guys go!

Yep, to the drummer. I play with several, and they're all different, as are the rooms. I have 3x112s, so it also depends on how many I've brought to the gig. Which depends on the room. And the drummer... :)

It also depends on the amp - very few gain/masters are linear or comparable: one amp's ten o'clock is another's twelve...

And your EQ - lotsa mids will make you sound more 'present'.

Oh, and the sensitivity of the cab(s), too... :)

FWIW, I did have a MB200, and felt it didn't have the cojones for what I needed.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1481615394' post='3193650']
There's only one answer to this. I'm as loud as the rest of the band. In practice that means being as loud as the drums.
[/quote]
[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1481621616' post='3193715']
I turn my amp up as high as is needed, the numbers mean nothing.
[/quote]

This.

As the others have said, it's as loud as you need to be to be balanced with the un-amplified instruments (drums).

For me, using my cabs that's somewhere around 1/4 the travel of the output volume control on my Tech Soundsystems Black Cat amp. The only time I have ever gone past the half way mark is when I was using it with some very inefficient Laney cabs.

To the OP if you need more volume you would have been better off adding a second identical 8Ω cab which would have given you more speaker surface to move the air.

[quote name='hrnn1234' timestamp='1481612516' post='3193635']
I'm curious how far up you guys go!
[/quote]

If you can make a 200 watt amp running at 8 ohms work through a 210 cab then you're in a totally different volume league to me.

The only answer should be that we're all as loud as we need to be for the band and the gig. In my case that's anything but usually covers, soul, funk and blues. My rule of thumb is if I have the master above 12 o'clock then I'm thinking about a more powerful amp and if I can do the gig with 1 cab then I'll use 2. I don't like the sound of gear straining in the red at the limit of its spec.

I have 2 800 watt amps and 2 500 watt amps. These ratings are meaningless because, as I just said, I run them all at the same volume. They are never pushed anywhere their limit so they are all well within their "sounding fantastic with a ton of headroom to spare" range. The 2 800 watt amps are 2 ohm but now I'm not running 3 cabs that feature isn't needed.

My TH500 used to be at 12 when I played through my Berg CN212 (loads of headroom) and when I switched to 2 Super Compacts I had to take the volume back to between 9 and 10.

The bands I play in are usually running at the volume dictated by the band leader. If you have a decent drummer then you're not in the "we have to play as loud as the drummer" world. The good guys can play within the level of the band.

First point I would say (if your amp has the ability) is to properly set the input level or preamp before even starting on the output.
Once that is set correctly you will get a much better sound, and not need so much output.
Once set, I agree that you go as loud as to get a nice sound with the drums in.
I use to run a mark bass little mark 3 and 2x10 at about 12 oclock.
I note run an abm500 with 2 cabs at around 9-10 oclock.
I did have a genz Benz 500, but found I really had to run that on max to get anywhere near the same perceived volume.
Get an amp where you have plenty of headroom and you'll never have to worry.

Edited by la bam

Evidently I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. English is my second language, so sorry about that.

My aim was actually that knowing that most of the users here have three digit watts, and based also on the fact that more watts don't necessarily mean more volume, how much do you need to press your hardware to make it do what you want. By no means was a contest to see who the loudest is, or your abilities to understand you don't need to piss on your band members with your volume knob.

Barely a meaningful stat, but nobody seems to be going past 12 o'clock (I suppose chrisanthony's 3 is from 1 to 10). This was actually was I was curious about!

FWIW, me buying that 2x12 was clearly a mistake based on what I wanted, but I learned my lesson.

Cheers!

I've used 5 different amps with the same (fairly loud) drummer over the past few years.

Master volume out of 10 for each to match the mix with the rest odf the band would be about:

Ashdown Mag 300 = 6 or 7/10

Trace Elliot 715X = 4/10

Orange Terror 500 = 2/10

Mark Bass LM 250 = 8/10

TC Electronic Classic = 3/10

The last three all through the same TC cabs.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1481649973' post='3194049']
Cant believe how serious its become around here. 19 replies and no one has said "Eleven, because its one louder than ten" © Nigel Tuffnel :P
[/quote]

One of my bands has a harp player who plays through a modified Fender Bassman combo. The volume knob is calibrated to 12, and is frequently set wedged wide open, though the damn thing kills most forms of life at anything above 4.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1481615394' post='3193650']
There's only one answer to this. I'm as loud as the rest of the band. In practice that means being as loud as the drums.
[/quote]

Incorrect. It is our job to be louder than the rest of the band put together, thus ensuring a perfect balanced mix.....

We like to fill the venue ☺

I have gone as loud as 3 o'clock on the master volume, but the input gain is set quite conservatively.

That's with a 500w mark base sa450 and a barefaced big twin II

Yes it's loud, but it fits the mix just right and sounds lovely

I don't put any through the pa, but the drums, keys, guitar, trumpet and trombone are....