Why become a member? ×

Neck Through or Bolt on, is there any practical difference?

Pinball

[quote name='visog' timestamp='1480705134' post='3186649']

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Not sure about those 3-bolt neck joints from Fender and others [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]And who said shimming in this day and age of super-flexible bridge and nut adjustment.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

It amuses me that I grew up with the perceived wisdom that 70s Fenders, esp 3 bolt ones, were shoddy rubbish and to be avoided at all costs. But now they're old enough to be considered "vintage" and are therefore desirable and commanding a premium price... How times change.

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1480726238' post='3186817']

It amuses me that I grew up with the perceived wisdom that 70s Fenders, esp 3 bolt ones, were shoddy rubbish and to be avoided at all costs. But now they're old enough to be considered "vintage" and are therefore desirable and commanding a premium price... How times change.
[/quote]

Yep, and G&L were happily producing 3 bolts at the time with great results.

BO or NT would be a long way down my list of reasons to buy or not to buy a bass. Much less important than overall sound, active or passive, feel, look and weight.

From what I've heard the differences are as described above, but in a band and on a gig I doubt that many would notice.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1480758299' post='3186894']
BO or NT would be a long way down my list of reasons to buy or not to buy a bass. Much less important than overall sound, active or passive, feel, look and weight.

From what I've heard the differences are as described above, but in a band and on a gig I doubt that many would notice.
[/quote]

Spot on Chris

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1480726238' post='3186817']
[/quote] Was the way when I first came on basschat a few years back - now they command silly money. Odd.

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1480697483' post='3186564']

Still...if somebody would like to pop a Thunderbird pickup into a P-bass (the placements are as near-as-bugger-it), perhaps we could test this out!

[size=3]*Yes, I'm another dusty-end botherer; I'll take my place in the stocks next to UK_lefty![/size]
[/quote]

A pal has a very well worn TBird with Precision pickup on it. Sounds more punchy than a regular TBird to my ears.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1480758299' post='3186894']

[/quote]Seconded. I see the 'punch' word was backward in being forward too :blush:

My 2p: good and bad from both camps. Top luthiers are split on this, so I'm sure we all will be too. I've had great from both NT and bolt on.

The only thing for certain is that through necks allow for easier access to the upper (dusty) area of the fret board, without having to thicken the neck pocket area of the bass, single cuts also improve this further.

My GMR BassForce 5 bolt-on has superb sustain - she's a naturally lyrical, melodic instrument. But my newly acquired GMR Flow-In 5 neck-through, which is heavier and feels as if it should be punchier, has even better sustain. I'm thinking of re-stringing it with rounds to see if that gives it a crisper, brighter sound. (If only so I can justify having both :) )

Found that with a through neck, I can make do with 22 frets for the stuff I play. I can reach to the 22nd with ease. With a bolt on, I would need 24 frets as the neck/body butt prohibits my reach. With a bolt on the 23rd and 24th frets i cannot reach. Chubby little mits you see...

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1480665811' post='3186167']
Hi, I used to think that neck-through was something to aspire too until I got a used Ibanez 3005 wich was a stunning bolt on model that changed my mind. I have since worked my way though many basses sice to get to my current favourites (Stingray's and G&L) and it I dawns on me that they are all blot on models.

I have had both types at the same time and couldn't hear any difference. I have noticed that the bolt-on's seem to generally lighter in weight but that is about it really.

Waddyathink?
[/quote]

IME every single bass sounds different, but nearly all of then sound like basses when you get them in the band mix.

It's impossible to quantify exactly what difference having a bolt-on neck makes since nearly every aspect of construction between a neck through bass and one with a bolt-on neck is different, so how can you tell exactly what effect the fact that the neck is bolt-on is making?

My personal preference is for neck through or set neck since there is less neck joint to get in the way when playing higher up the neck.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1480935554' post='3188109']

Why would you want to?
[/quote]
Most of my gigging basses are bitsas, so the facility to swap necks over makes a huge difference to me. I've had neck through instruments and not noticed a massive difference in sound quality, but I'm not the most discerning of musicians...I had a lovely Spector five string which was a set neck and the neck to body was transition was beautiful. As I make infrequent forays to the dusty end, it was a wee bit wasted on me....and it weighed as much as an aircraft carrier.

Listen to jimmy johnson on the new Gadd records- punchy and tight bass. Bolt on,right? He uses a neck through bass.

I think it's more important how the bass works as a whole, and above that, how the player plays.

For sure there will be a little difference on the same bass eg a stingray bolt on vs a stingray through neck but they will both predominantly sound like stingrays!