Why become a member? ×

Number of basses on stage

josie

3 guitars - all in different tuning and all used. No backups as such. Retuning is an issue as they are all Floyd trems

I always take two basses:
5 string tuned down half step for most of the set, tuned std for one song and tuned up to C for two.
4 string tuned down half a step for one song, and tuned down a whole step for 4 or 5 more.

Yes you can get away with less. Yes, we could even consider drop tune pedals....but its rock n roll and its about more than the songs.

I know I should always keep a spare but I usually just take my Musicman and be done with it. I should really get a spare...

I always take spares of cables and all of that. I'm quite lucky that my amp head (Genz Benz Shuttle 12.0) has two separate channels so that if one fails, I can just switch to the other for the rest of the gig without too much hassle.

Edited by ChunkyMunky

Always two. If space is tight, one stays in a case but I haven't taken just one bass to gig in over ten years.

I saw a Bill Nelson show in London a few years ago, where in the space of a 14 song set he played (approximately) 11 guitars. His roadie must be the highest paid man in showbiz.

Edited by rushbo

It's weird how you see on threads like this, about taking spare basses and amps etc, often citing the 'professionalism' of it.

I'm a professional musician. I only own one bass, albeit it a very nice one, I also own just one amp.

Everyone I play with is either a pro or semi-pro, and with the exception of the sax players I play with, they all just take one instrument along.

Most times there's not room for spare stuff.

I own one instrument that's well cared for and maintained.

I did a solo bass gig on Friday, one bass, one amp, one ebow, one MacBook etc 😊.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480252910' post='3182779']...
I did a solo bass gig on Friday, one bass, one amp, one ebow, one MacBook etc .
[/quote]

So what's the score if, for whatever reason, your bass has no output just before staring your set..? Just a curious question; I play drums, but don't bring a spare kit along. If my bass pedal fails, there's not bass drum. I'd do my best on the floor tom, probably. :blush:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1480253190' post='3182781']
. If my bass pedal fails, there's not bass drum. I'd do my best on the floor tom, probably. :blush:
[/quote]

Strangely we actually have a spare bass drum pedal in the stand bag.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1480253190' post='3182781']
So what's the score if, for whatever reason, your bass has no output just before staring your set..? Just a curious question; I play drums, but don't bring a spare kit along. If my bass pedal fails, there's not bass drum. I'd do my best on the floor tom, probably. :blush:
[/quote]

The drummers I work with always have a spare bass drum pedal in their kit bag. I can think of at least occasions they have needed them this year.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480252910' post='3182779']
It's weird how you see on threads like this, about taking spare basses and amps etc, often citing the 'professionalism' of it.

I'm a professional musician. I only own one bass, albeit it a very nice one, I also own just one amp.

Everyone I play with is either a pro or semi-pro, and with the exception of the sax players I play with, they all just take one instrument along.

I did a solo bass gig on Friday, one bass, one amp, one ebow, one MacBook etc 😊.
[/quote]

Yes. I was like that for years. You only need one failure and it'll change your mind for life.

I have one bass on stage. The other one is hidden away in a case wherever it'll fit.

I suppose if you have a big network of people to call on, if you have a major fail, someone local might be able to pop along.

Our guitarist forgot the PA speaker stands at one gig. A quick phone call to a mate who happened to live in the same town and we had stands within 30mins.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1480209796' post='3182581']
It's ok if your Jimi Hendrix because well your Jimi Hendrix and that's the sound you need, if your playing a couple of Hendrix numbers amongst dozens of artists then you are going to need a couple of distinct sounds imo.

In a previous band our front man had a strat for most of the set but he also needed a Gibson for some of the songs, he had a guitar tuned really weird for some killers tracks I think they were and one that was totally detuned a semi tone, the other guitarist just used a strat and a les paul.

The guitarist in our trio has a Variax :D
[/quote]

Just a polite grammar correction.

Your= It belongs to you
You're = You are

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480252910' post='3182779']

[/quote]

I often think about this too. I have never in my puff had a bass stop working. I've never seen a brass player (for example) take a spare.

I put it into the same bracket as people taking 2 4x12 Marshall stack to play in the local boozer, or folk that have wireless systems who never move an inch from where their pedals are. All the gear, no idea. Reaks of amateurism to me.

Obviously if there is a functional need for a different bass (different tuning for example) then it's fair play.

Edited by lefrash

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1480262657' post='3182877']
I often think about this too. I have never in my puff had a bass stop working. I've never seen a brass player (for example) take a spare.

I put it into the same bracket as people taking 2 4x12 Marshall stack to play in the local boozer, or folk that have wireless systems who never move an inch from where their pedals are. All the gear, no idea. Reaks of amateurism to me.

Obviously if there is a functional need for a different bass (different tuning for example) then it's fair play.
[/quote]

I think the prohibitive expense of a decent trumpet/violin/cello rules out taking a spare. They're less prone to electrical issues and even though some brass instruments can be incredibly complex, they seem more resilient to wear and tear- possibly because they're played in a less "physical" way - ie no nutcase bassplayer swinging it about (as I am prone to do when excited...) I play with a Viola player and he can tell quite a way in advance when a string is going to go, so he's never popped a string on stage.

As for the wireless thing - I play my share of pubs and clubs with cramped stage areas and I always use the wireless. In my experience, you're more likely to trip over a trailing lead in a situation where everyone is practically on top of one another than on a big stage with lots of room between musicians. I don't think that's amateur. I think it's common sense to have as few wires on the floor as possible.

...the multiple 4x12 Marshall thing always baffles me. Maybe it's for tone. Or maybe it's just for showing off. 9 times out of 10, my humble Genz Benz Contour combo is perfect for the gig and the extension cab stays at home.

Edited by rushbo

Two in current band, on a hercules double stand. We do a few songs detuned a whole step so that's what bass #2 is for and I can do a quick swap over if they are both within easy reach. We don't quite run to techs handing us replacement instruments when we need them playing pubs...

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1480262657' post='3182877']

[/quote]

Wireless systems on stages no bigger than the average hearth rug always make me smile :).

The three guys I'm gigging with tonight have almost a century and a half of professional playing between them. The guitarist will turn up with the same guitar and amp that he's been using for 30 years or more. The keyboard player uses a nice Yamaha stage piano that he's had for a few years, into a Roland combo. The drummer uses a beautiful little Ludwig jazz kit that he's been playing probably since I was a child.

Their outlook is kind of like mine. They take what they need. What will fit in the usually confined space we're given to play in, and what can be carried in, assembled, then disassembled with the minimum of fuss. They're generally out playing at least 4 nights a week.

I've seen some of the worlds top guys playing. People like Matt Garrison, Anthony Jackson, Laurence Cottle, Mike Stern, Janek Gwizdala, John Patitucci, John Schofield, Jonas Hellborg. They're on stage with one instrument, plugged into an amp. I figure if it's good enough for them.

If you're lucky enough to be able to afford a multitude of gear, with spares for everything then great. Me I can't. It doesn't make you more, or me less professional though. Being professional isn't having the ability to own a load of gear.

Edited by ambient

Most of the professionals I know own more than one instrument. They may not take them to gigs but they do own a backup.

Occasionally a drunk brass player will leave their trombone on a night bus. They'll get up the next morning, head off and spend the day teaching using their spare and then pick up the 'found' trombone from Baker Street on their way to whatever West End show they're playing that night.

There are hundreds of reasons to have a spare instrument, or at least a way of getting hold of one in an emergency.

Instruments get broken, lost, stolen. Just because it's never happened to you, doesn't mean it doesn't ever happen or will never happen.

A £100 spare bass takes up no room and means in an emergency the gig doesn't have to be abandoned.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1480263830' post='3182897']

If you're lucky enough to be able to afford a multitude of gear, with spares for everything then great. Me I can't. It doesn't make you more, or me less professional though. Being professional isn't having the ability to own a load of gear.
[/quote]

I agree with your posts on the topic. I'm sure there are many of us that have played a thousand gigs without issue; or, if there has been an issue it has been overcome without the need for an entire second rig. Things happen, but very rarely if you have good, reliable and well maintained gear. If you're playing the local pub, is it really critical if you have to use a workaround for a few songs in an emergency?

Bands that use odd tunings aside, the whole thing about carrying multiple basses sometimes just seems like an excuse you can put to the wife in justifying an absolute need for a P bass, because you can't use your jazz for motown.

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1480263535' post='3182892']

As for the wireless thing - I play my share of pubs and clubs with cramped stage areas and I always use the wireless. In my experience, you're more likely to trip over a trailing lead in a situation where everyone is practically on top of one another than on a big stage with lots of room between musicians. I don't think that's amateur. I think it's common sense to have as few wires on the floor..
[/quote]

I honestly can't think of a time where I've tripped over my cable. I'm a big boy too and not exactly nimble on my feet.

If it works for you then great, but for me the supposed benefits for a pub band setting doesn't warrant the extra gear/ expense / complications.