Why become a member? ×

Jazz basses, what's the point?

FinnDave

[quote name='paul_c2' timestamp='1479384053' post='3176085']
After reading 4 pages, I'd like to hear some comparison recordings with a Jazz bass and Precision bass.
[/quote]

There's one 7 posts above yours - CV J v P v 50s P v US Custom Shop J v Japanese P and Japanese 51 p reissue. Couldn't be clearer - can't believe no one noticed!!! ......

Looks and sounds pretty clear to me!!

Edited by drTStingray

I`ve just picked up a Jazz bass from the OP, we did a swap with one of my Precisions I was offloading. It has the stock Fender strings on it and to me this makes a real difference as I`ve never had a Jazz with nickel strings on before. Even though they`re the original strings that are at least 6 months old there is enough twang for me but not super-annoyingly-bright. They make a nice growl too when digging in. I doubt I will choose the Jazz over my Precision for my band but this has been a revelation for me.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1479421077' post='3176502']
I`ve just picked up a Jazz bass from the OP, we did a swap with one of my Precisions I was offloading.
[/quote]

I took the bass straight to rehearsal this evening, just plugged it in and played it all evening, Sounded great, definitely suits the way I play and the people I play with better than any Jazz I've played. Best part is that both my Jazz and Lozz's Precision were black with maple boards. Perfect!

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479422110' post='3176508']
I took the bass straight to rehearsal this evening, just plugged it in and played it all evening, Sounded great, definitely suits the way I play and the people I play with better than any Jazz I've played. Best part is that both my Jazz and Lozz's Precision were black with maple boards. Perfect!
[/quote]

Is it a Roger Waters?

I have to confess that this is the second time I have met a Basschatter at a motorway service station and swapped a Jazz Bass I had bought 6-8 months earlier (and even from the same shop!) for a Precision of similar age! The first was 3 years ago, and I still own and gig the Precision I got. Having played Lozz's Precision with my band this evening, I can say this will be a long term keeper as well.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1479413632' post='3176426']
There's one 7 posts above yours - CV J v P v 50s P v US Custom Shop J v Japanese P and Japanese 51 p reissue. Couldn't be clearer - can't believe no one noticed!!! ......

Looks and sounds pretty clear to me!!
[/quote]

I actually meant a recording of the OP in the band situation(s) he's in, but I appreciate its probably not possible to obtain this. In my mind, the perceived weakness/unsuitability of the Jazz bass can be rectified with some simple EQ and obviously matching/tweaking the level as appropriate. I personally play my bass quite quietly but turn the amp up high, then when there's a need to achieve dynamics, and/or be more prominent, its very easy to simply play it a bit louder (or a lot louder).

I've watched the video you posted from earlier, and also a number of other Jazz vs Precision videos and, to my ears, the Jazz can be made to sound just as rich/full/dark/bassy whatever you want to desribe it, in fact even more so than the Precision if needs be. I am not sure a Precision could achieve the same tone as a Jazz on bridge pickup only, the physics would suggest that its quite a lot to ask of EQ to make the sound as trebly as a bridge pickup would naturally hear due to its location (you can't boost what isn't there etc?) (I don't have a Precision so I can't be sure).

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479371943' post='3175966']
If you read the whole thing, I take both and offer them a choice, often after playing each of them for a few numbers, and the choice is always Precision. It's not like they are laying down the law (I'd be out of there in a flash of they tried that), but no one ever chooses the Jazz.

I reckon Jazz basses sound great when you try them in the shop, but for regular band use, it's the Precision every time.
[/quote]

I did read the whole thing, but by the time I read all the replies and starting writing my reply I forgot that detail :)

add a bit of grunt and the Jazz stands out much better, light OD will do the trick.

One day just bring the Jazz

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1479431762' post='3176567']
I did read the whole thing, but by the time I read all the replies and starting writing my reply I forgot that detail :)

add a bit of grunt and the Jazz stands out much better, light OD will do the trick.

One day just bring the Jazz
[/quote]

Too late for that, my best Jazz has just been swapped for a Precision!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1479475003' post='3176817']
try a 2 band stingray next :)
[/quote]Once I finish my amp and 1x12 cabs the 2 band stingray peep is going in my Peavey P.

And it is just me or did the newer basses sound a bit brighter? I don't know what pups, are and what magnets, but I am old enough to remember that late 60s when everyone wanted a '57 Les Paul. We all put it down to the way the wood aged as the tone was mellower than late 60s Les Pauls. Turns out it was just the Alnico Pups losing a bit of magnetism.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479489255' post='3176984']
No chance, I'm perfectly happy with my Precisions. :)
[/quote]

I'll save this message to show it to you and laugh in your face at some future date :P
Don't subestimate the power of the (dark) 'Ray! :lol:

(I used to hate Stingrays... ugly things, and they didn't even sound that good... today it's almost all I use... you just never know what the future will bring ;))

Must admit, having had my first really decent Precision in my Limelight strung with flats, it has swayed me a bit, but if push came to shove I'd still choose a 2EQ Ray if it was only one bass. Ideally though, I'd like both - a 2EQ 'Ray in natural ash is a fine, fine,iconic thing.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1479489892' post='3176990']
I'll save this message to show it to you and laugh in your face at some future date :P
[/quote]

You'll need an extra help ing of patience with that! When I was young and stupid (as opposed to old and stupid, as I am now) all I wanted was a Fender Precision. I now have three and can't see any reason to change to a different bass.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1479500174' post='3177109']
You'll need an extra help ing of patience with that! When I was young and stupid (as opposed to old and stupid, as I am now) all I wanted was a Fender Precision. I now have three and can't see any reason to change to a different bass.
[/quote]

And I may sit waiting forever... that would mean you are happy with your basses and that would be wonderful. :)

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1479407354' post='3176367']
I could take a P, a J or a Ray to rehearsal or gig , and the most is get is "that's a nice colour" not sure the band hear any difference live
[/quote]yep, eq settings have a lot bigger effect than what type of bass it is, I've just used a P for the last 6 or 7 years, having said that I'm waiting for a VM Squier Jazz I've just bought of Ebay to arrive with a view to fitting humbuckers to it, just can't stop messing around can we?