Why become a member? ×

Jazz basses, what's the point?

FinnDave

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1486542954' post='3232545']
IMO, and I've only got a Squire VM Jazz compared to a MIA P, the Jazz sounds great on it's own but in a rock band situation because it's a lot more scooped sound it doesn't cut through,the P has loads of grunt around 200Hz, which the Jazz just doesn't seem to have, unless I put the pick ups in series mode
[/quote]

You don't need to use both pickups full.
And even if you do, you can play a lot with the pickup heights (both absolute, and relative to each other) to get a 'sweet spot' that is not entirely devoid of 'meat'. But that series mod is a really cool one, I'll give you that. I should do that to mine. I had it on my first Jazz bass and it was a really good sound.

I've owned more Jazz basses than is reasonable, and the extent of that midscoop when both pickups are on is extremely variable. I used to think it was mostly the pickups, and the pickups indeed are a huge factor. But long ago I realised that you can alter dramatically the sound by bringing the pickups up or down, and also playing with the relative heights too. I may sacrifice slightly the neck pickup so it has a bit less volume but because it's fatter it really doesn't show, yet the mix is a lot clearer and sits better. But pickup balance is not the full story. Even with the same relative heights, bringing both pickups up or down changes a LOT the final sound. It seems kind of obvious when you spend a little time thinking about it... but it took me years to go at it in a systematic way, and I was very surprised with the results. It's well worth spending a morning experimenting. But don't do it in a hurry. Take measurements and notes, record clips, and then listen back. If you have a band recording without the bass (or a backing track, if you don't), even better... You may just discover your bass can sound a lot better than it already does.

I've not waded through the whole thread, but the pickup height issue is certainly something I'll be playing with in the near future. I play f/less so the front pickup is usually backed off to maximise the mwah, but I find it sounds a bit puny. I've never been a fan of the 'both pickups on full' scooped sound (I can imagine it working in trio with a horn/reed player though) and I really want that cutting rear pickup sound with some low end support. Playing style must more into it too - I'm a finger style player and I tend to inadvertantly anchor on the front pickup, which is probably costing me some definition.

[quote name='radiophonic' timestamp='1486558254' post='3232730']
I've not waded through the whole thread, but the pickup height issue is certainly something I'll be playing with in the near future. I play f/less so the front pickup is usually backed off to maximise the mwah, but I find it sounds a bit puny. I've never been a fan of the 'both pickups on full' scooped sound (I can imagine it working in trio with a horn/reed player though) and I really want that cutting rear pickup sound with some low end support. Playing style must more into it too - I'm a finger style player and I tend to inadvertantly anchor on the front pickup, which is probably costing me some definition.
[/quote]

do have a play with that, it's incredible just how different the same bass can sound by tweaking both the absolute and relative pickup heights.