Why become a member? ×

Chandler Guitars In Kew Closed

Hobbayne

Wow. That's bad news.

Doug started the shop with about a dozen guitars in the ground floor of his house (one of the 2 up 2 downs) about half way down the road. When they grew he moved to what is now the fish and chip shop on the other side of the road and then to the current site.

They had very little presence in the bass world but I always enjoyed looking around the shop and bought several pickups etc over the years.

The Unfortunate thing for me, is that back in the summer they sold a guitar on my behalf and after they took their cut they offered me the choice of taking the cash or leaving the money as credit for strings, setups etc. I wont see that again. :angry:

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1478767613' post='3171425']
The Unfortunate thing for me, is that back in the summer they sold a guitar on my behalf and after they took their cut they offered me the choice of taking the cash or leaving the money as credit for strings, setups etc. I wont see that again. :angry:
[/quote]
Well the website hasn't gone entirely. I think that makes you an unsecured creditor, it's still worth dropping them a note to find out where you stand .

I took my double-neck 4/8-string Shergold in there for a service. While talking to one of the Chandlers, another interrupted, "sorry mate, we've got Greg Lake on the blower with an urgent question, mind if your man talks to him?" "not at all. Ask him if he wants to buy a Shergold double-neck, yeah?"

Shame to see another piece of London guitar history gone :(

The closure was announced around 20th September with a final closing date of 31st October. It was a very public closure announcement and widely reported at the time.

Definitely worth contacting them if you're a creditor.

The two guys who set up on their own are here:

http://www.richmondguitarworkshop.com

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1478771635' post='3171459']
Well the website hasn't gone entirely. I think that makes you an unsecured creditor, it's still worth dropping them a note to find out where you stand .
[/quote]

Cheers, Will do.

Over the years I was accustomed to use Chandlers on many occasions. Then a run of seriously unacceptable incidents, evasion and rudeness led me to take my business elsewhere. No offence intended to anyone here but on a personal basis I'm fairly relaxed that they've gone tits-up.

As for the Richmond Guitar workshop, I can testify to Andrew Scrimshaw. He's a lovely guy, faultlessly reliable and did my repairs for many years.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1478811447' post='3171903']
Doug thought the internet was the work of Satan and thought it would never last.
[/quote]
He's not wrong about the first part. . . . . but it will continue to go from strength to strength and continue to take over the world.

Used Chandlers many times for repairs and always found the work (and the service) top notch.

I recently moved closer to Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience and thought I'd give it a try, not impressed at all - terrible communication, surly attitude from staff and pickups wired incorrectly. Lovely setup, but the overall 'experience' was less than delightful.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't been in there in years, but I used to frequent it in the 80's... which puts me in mind of another workshop down the road in Kew, Roger Giffin. I always wanted one of his beautiful custom basses, like the one Felix Krish played with SFX, with the late great Alan Murphy et al. God I feel old.