Why become a member? ×

Gigging your 'beater' bass (Snob alert)

Guest MoJo

My beater is a Peavey Grind. I don't gig it - I may do if I feel really really anxious about somewhere, but I normally take out a Sei and either another Sei or an Esh. But they're all better-sounding and better-playing than the Peavey.

I voted other because I have one full rig! One bass, amp and cab. With my pedal board and a DI box for emergencies. It's that rig whatever the venue, be it a pub or Queen Victoria's old summer home! It's that way through choice. I might eventually grab a cheap secondhand J5 but it'll only ever be a backup.

Edited to say, I've no problem gigging any bass, cheap or otherwise, and never have but decided that 'one to rule them all' was where I wanted to stick my money.

Edited by M@23

In the past I have gigged expensive basses and a cheap no name Asian origin bass. The band didn't notice any difference or care and the audience certainly didn't.
My current beater is a Charvel, which is a great bass I would be happy to gig with, except I need 24 frets so its my Shuker that is used.

Get an expensive refin on your cheapo bass. That plus what the extensive setup would've cost you at a luthier make for a presentable showpiece that you can play at a gallery or punk infested squad.

Your choice of bass is most likely completely irrelevant to 99.9% of the crowd and at least 90% of your band mates. In this context "Beaters" are as much, if not not more of a viable option for gigging given that most of us probably often play some "interesting" pubs and clubs.

I used to choose my beaten up Yamaha over my Alembic for said venues through fear of damage/loss etc at the hands of the "exuberant" intoxicated clientele.

Nowadays?...well, as I always now say, it's the name playing the bass that matters not the name on the headstock. For me it's music first; instrument and gear waffle comes a distant second.

My "looker" is a Greco Rick copy, which I play most of our sets on. My "beater" is a Hondo Precision copy (the later Korean one with a DiMarzio pickup), which I use for the part of our sets that are in drop D rather than drop Bb. Perfectly happy playing either as they sound great and even the Hondo looks the part.

I voted other.

It's complex.

As of today, I'm up to 3 basses again.

The dearest one is a slightly battered version of a British built bass, a Status.
The other two are a USA built bass - a Peavey Foundation, and a far east built Harley Benton fretless Jazz copy.

I love them all for different reasons. Two of the three are both beaters and also quality brands.
The one in the best cosmetic condition is the new low end bass. I'd hate to mark it, it's not a beater.

For a recent gig- the gig of my life - I hired. It was cheaper than flying one of the above to the gig.

To those of you with the collection of high end basses, I feel your pain.

I don't really have either. My main bass is a MM Stingray that I use for almost every gig or set. I have recently bought a Sterling Sub as a backup and practice bass that has yet to be gigged as it is doesn't sound as good as the Ray. My other bass is an Aria pro 2 fretless that I wouldn't gig regularly as it wouldn't suit all the songs.

For me it's ultimately what sounds best.

Edited by mep

I just remembered, when my current band started my main gigging bass was a Korean Squier Precision. I don`t know why as I had a US Precision at the time, but for some reason I gigged the Squier for a fair bit.

I had to vote 'other' despite having no posh gear. If I hear a great bass sound, my eye seeks out the cab first, then amp, then the floor round said player's feet. Only if I see nothing more than a DI box and a lead will I think 'That bass sounds fab'.

I've done plenty of gigs on a G4M P that I got off the ebay for 30 tokens. No-one noticed or cared.

But then, I have been known to rock up with a pink daisy, so shouldn't be listened to on this whole subject.

[quote name='Vinny' timestamp='1470049909' post='3102858']
I had to vote 'other' despite having no posh gear. If I hear a great bass sound, my eye seeks out the cab first, then amp, then the floor round said player's feet. Only if I see nothing more than a DI box and a lead will I think 'That bass sounds fab'.

I've done plenty of gigs on a G4M P that I got off the ebay for 30 tokens. [b]No-one noticed or cared.[/b]

But then, I have been known to rock up with a pink daisy, so shouldn't be listened to on this whole subject.
[/quote]

I wouldn't like this so much... I'd consider I wasn't worth a comment which wouldn't be good at all.

I'd make a point of it not happening like that.
Half of that would be my playing personality and half of it would be that I'd make a difference.

If people don't notice or don't care they are likely oblivious-which is also not good, or they really don't care.
I can't decide which would be worse... :lol: :lol:

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1470124219' post='3103330']
If people don't notice or don't care they are likely oblivious-which is also not good, or they really don't care.
I can't decide which would be worse... :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Ah come on, you know how it is - they'll notice us when we stop playing ;)

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1470127441' post='3103359']
Ah come on, you know how it is - they'll notice us when we stop playing ;)
[/quote]

haha...that's what I do when our singer introduces the band, just stop playing and hear the emptiness!!!

Back OT, none of my basses (4) are particularly high end, of the three 4 strings I'll just gig whichever one is in favour at that time. The 5 string Yam comes out when things are looking tricky!

I have a jazz bass with the name Fame on the headstock. It is very well made, has SD 1/4 Pounders in it and sounds great. The neck has a really nice feel. Only other bassists may know that it was made in the Mayones factory. Personally i don't care much what the bass looks like or who it's made by but i do like nice feel and good sound.

Got a GSR200. It's my main bass for everything. Wouldn't swap it for the world. Not in a covers band so I only need to sound and look like me. Have looked at expensive instruments, even thought about buying 1 or 2 but when I ask myself "is this better for what you do than what you've got?" The answer has always been no. Bonus is I paid very little for it and I love how it looks.