Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2016 - thoughts?

taunton-hobbit

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1466964350' post='3080077']

Clearing up the mess left behind?
[/quote]

Some people actually get a free ticket by agreeing to be a litter picker on the Monday but you have to put up a £230 deposit, you'll get it back but only after you do your stint with the bin bags.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1466945933' post='3079871']
It was nice to see Squeeze again. When did they get a female bassist? She were all reet like.
[/quote]
Yes, she was excellent. Her timing and feel were excellent. I wonder if she is a hired hand or permanent member?

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1466969365' post='3080147']
Who's Dave Pomeroy?
[/quote]

Famous US session player

Now did y'all miss Earth Wind and Fire - what a show, what a tight band and some very original funky bass playing as well. A band I wish I'd seen back in the day. On bbc4 if anyone's still watching.

Muse were fantastic, as were ELO.

Loved the ELO set but was all of this live ? It sounded just a bit too perfect..I had the impression that I heard far more voices than there were (and other instruments too). Bit weird because I couldn't see any clicktrack for the drummer. Jeff's voice was also so full as if it was doubled.
Great performance though, Turn to stone and Mr Blue Sky, shivers down my spine..
Who was the backing singer ? Had the feeling I had seen him before (reminded me of a character in The League of Gentlemen :-))

Just got home from this, first time there, even though I've been going to festivals for about 20 years. The music and camping was fun. I mainly go for electronic music at festivals because I used to be a raver in the early 90s and I like to pretend I'm 23 again, so I can't comment on the live acts, because I spent all my time in various dance tents, except I did see Madness who were excellent of course.

The mud on the other hand - oh my god. It was like a medieval catastrophe. This festival is so badly organised it's insane. They like to pretend it's going to be sunny, but just like the UK government, they have no contingency plan in case things turn out different to their expectations. The car parks were a sludge-fest, cars literally sliding around and sinking in mud, towed by tractors if they were lucky. It was genuinely terrifying. The entire site - which is enormous beyond belief - was swimming in mud. Almost nothing was even barely passable, so most people had to walk in narrow lines through the tiny tracks they put down, and even those were only in the main arenas. When the mud dried out a bit, it turned to glue, and people literally got stuck in it, by the hundreds. Loads of lost wellies wedged into mud with panicked people who felt like they were sinking into quicksand. It was absolute mayhem. Funny for 5 minutes, awful for the rest of the weekend.

Also I know it's a cliche to moan about festival toilets, but I'm a festival veteran and even for me, these were the most disgusting toilets I've ever seen. Yesterday, I saw a toilet with a turd on the seat, with an apprehensive cockroach sat next to it. It was quite unnerving.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1466980994' post='3080266']
Loved the ELO set but was all of this live ? It sounded just a bit too perfect..I had the impression that I heard far more voices than there were (and other instruments too). Bit weird because I couldn't see any clicktrack for the drummer. Jeff's voice was also so full as if it was doubled.
Great performance though, Turn to stone and Mr Blue Sky, shivers down my spine..
Who was the backing singer ? Had the feeling I had seen him before (reminded me of a character in The League of Gentlemen :-))
[/quote]Mrs Ez and I had the same thought.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1466985623' post='3080287']
Just got home from this, first time there, even though I've been going to festivals for about 20 years. The music and camping was fun. I mainly go for electronic music at festivals because I used to be a raver in the early 90s and I like to pretend I'm 23 again, so I can't comment on the live acts, because I spent all my time in various dance tents, except I did see Madness who were excellent of course.

The mud on the other hand - oh my god. It was like a medieval catastrophe. This festival is so badly organised it's insane. They like to pretend it's going to be sunny, but just like the UK government, they have no contingency plan in case things turn out different to their expectations. The car parks were a sludge-fest, cars literally sliding around and sinking in mud, towed by tractors if they were lucky. It was genuinely terrifying. The entire site - which is enormous beyond belief - was swimming in mud. Almost nothing was even barely passable, so most people had to walk in narrow lines through the tiny tracks they put down, and even those were only in the main arenas. When the mud dried out a bit, it turned to glue, and people literally got stuck in it, by the hundreds. Loads of lost wellies wedged into mud with panicked people who felt like they were sinking into quicksand. It was absolute mayhem. Funny for 5 minutes, awful for the rest of the weekend.

Also I know it's a cliche to moan about festival toilets, but I'm a festival veteran and even for me, these were the most disgusting toilets I've ever seen. Yesterday, I saw a toilet with a turd on the seat, with an apprehensive cockroach sat next to it. It was quite unnerving.
[/quote]
Other than that and Brexit, everything tip top? :D

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1466977026' post='3080231']
PJ Harvey was quite good; her usual kooky eclectic self. Good backing band too.
[/quote]

I'm just watching it now.
I see Mick Harvey is still in her band.
He's fantastic...

Was it my imagination or did bass guitar make a welcome reappearance at this year's Glasto? I can't remember the last time I heard so many audible bass parts across diverse bands.

Watched Trujillo a couple of years back and he was fairly inaudible.

Still the kids mistake sound issue of mixing guitars (particularly funk and Jazz rythmn) too high - noticeable on Earth Wind and Fire at times.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1467004840' post='3080299']
Mrs Ez and I had the same thought.
[/quote]

There are 3 keyboard players in the set up so I'm assuming one of them is adding extra strings and choir where required to augment the live strings and voices. One of the 2 backing singers doubles up with Jeff on certain parts plus the other guitarists and bass player are chipping in extra bv's too. Saw an arena gig in April, there are about 13 or 14 people on stage, it's a big sound.

I watched 4 acts this morning and the bass sounded fecking awful on all of them, Verdine White's bass sounded horrendous to me but the band were amazing as always. Then I watched The 1975, guitars drums etc sounded great, bass was a clanky distorted mess from the P-Bass, then I watched CHVRCHES, ok an electronic band predominantly but again a clanky horrible distorted mess, Precision again and then Finally Reef, you guessed it, clanky horrible distorted mess and you guessed it, a Precision again.......do I see a trend emerging....

yet to watch any more, I may have just picked the only 4 acts with an awful bass sound. I am presuming it is not the bands and more the way the bass has been recorded.

[quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1466892015' post='3079637']
Caught the tail end of something called Wolf Alice earlier on.
[/quote]

I've got a friend who's really into Wolf Alice. The first time I heard her mention them I thought she said she was going to see Rolf Harris.