Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2016 - thoughts?

taunton-hobbit

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1466985623' post='3080287']
Just got home from this, first time there, even though I've been going to festivals for about 20 years. The music and camping was fun. I mainly go for electronic music at festivals because I used to be a raver in the early 90s and I like to pretend I'm 23 again, so I can't comment on the live acts, because I spent all my time in various dance tents, except I did see Madness who were excellent of course.

The mud on the other hand - oh my god. It was like a medieval catastrophe. This festival is so badly organised it's insane. They like to pretend it's going to be sunny, but just like the UK government, they have no contingency plan in case things turn out different to their expectations. The car parks were a sludge-fest, cars literally sliding around and sinking in mud, towed by tractors if they were lucky. It was genuinely terrifying. The entire site - which is enormous beyond belief - was swimming in mud. Almost nothing was even barely passable, so most people had to walk in narrow lines through the tiny tracks they put down, and even those were only in the main arenas. When the mud dried out a bit, it turned to glue, and people literally got stuck in it, by the hundreds. Loads of lost wellies wedged into mud with panicked people who felt like they were sinking into quicksand. It was absolute mayhem. Funny for 5 minutes, awful for the rest of the weekend.

Also I know it's a cliche to moan about festival toilets, but I'm a festival veteran and even for me, these were the most disgusting toilets I've ever seen. Yesterday, I saw a toilet with a turd on the seat, with an apprehensive cockroach sat next to it. It was quite unnerving.
[/quote]

And that's why I don't go to festivals...

Yesterday, I saw a toilet with a turd on the seat, with an apprehensive cockroach sat next to it. It was quite unnerving.
[/quote]

Had a similar experience in the toilets of a motorway service station - most of the stalls were occupied and I was desperate, so when I spotted a vacant trap I scampered in, only to find a truly enormous turd on the seat - with a union jack stuck in it at a jaunty angle. Just about summed up my feelings about the United Kingdom at the time. Which haven't changed, by the way.

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1467024969' post='3080503']
I watched 4 acts this morning and the bass sounded fecking awful on all of them, Verdine White's bass sounded horrendous to me but the band were amazing as always.
[/quote]

It was interesting that his bass sound was in my view excellent when the band were laid back but not so when the band was at full tilt - at times you could only hear the low notes of what he was playing - presumably an EQ and volume issue. Mostly it was at least audible though and some songs was excellent. Band as a whole were great though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467031516' post='3080593']
only to find a truly enormous turd on the seat - with a union jack stuck in it at a jaunty angle. Just about summed up my feelings about the United Kingdom at the time. Which haven't changed, by the way.
[/quote]

I think this sums-up why we are such a great nation. No matter how bad it is, we'll stick a flag in it.

Edited by Billy Apple

[quote name='rubis' timestamp='1466976943' post='3080230']
Those bracelets are a brilliant idea
[/quote]

I used to work for Hollister (we were definitely [b]not [/b]the clothing company) and we used to supply the coloured wrist tickets for these festivals...Reading/Leeds etc.. They were pretty much the use-once-only identification things that we also supplied into hospitals.

We did it for years and things only went awry when some temporary scally in our Berkshire warehouse stole a box of the wristbands and started selling them around Reading, the asshat.

Had a similar experience in the toilets of a motorway service station - most of the stalls were occupied and I was desperate, so when I spotted a vacant trap I scampered in, only to find a truly enormous turd on the seat - with a union jack stuck in it at a jaunty angle. Just about summed up my feelings about the United Kingdom at the time. Which haven't changed, by the way.
[/quote]

It's all a matter of perspective. One man's turd is another man's treasure. I may have been unnerved by what I saw, but the cockroach on the other hand, he was about to have the feast of a lifetime. And it was probably laced with MD and lager, so he pribably got a good day's worth of fun out of it as a bonus.

Also I know it's a cliche to moan about festival toilets, but I'm a festival veteran and even for me, these were the most disgusting toilets I've ever seen. Yesterday, I saw a toilet with a turd on the seat, with an apprehensive cockroach sat next to it. It was quite unnerving.
[/quote]

I saw Apprehensive Cockroach supporting Blur at the Good Mixer in 1991. Crazy times.

Good to see old 'mate' Largey still with Squeeze. Very very talented musician and deserves his success. Must be doing something right as he's been with them for nigh on 20 years..??

Must be just me that thought EWF were dull. Coldplay far far better at it than a tired old EWF...
and I never thought I'd be seeing that.

Lee Poms gets around doesn't he?

Can someone who knows Muse better than me tell me where Hysteria pops up in the set? I don't know any other songs and I don't want to listen to the whole thing. Thanks!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03xs070/glastonbury-2016-muse

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1466979158' post='3080251']
Famous US session player

Now did y'all miss Earth Wind and Fire - what a show, what a tight band and some very original funky bass playing as well. A band I wish I'd seen back in the day. On bbc4 if anyone's still watching.

Muse were fantastic, as were ELO.
[/quote]
Took my 13 year old daughter to see a proper band (EW&F) at the Apollo M.Chester a couple of years ago. She was blown away.... as was I :gas:

[quote name='Daz39' timestamp='1466977026' post='3080231']
PJ Harvey was quite good; her usual kooky eclectic self. Good backing band too.
[/quote]

I though PJ Harvey was bloody brilliant. Great songs, great performance, totally original, absolutely engaging. Really unusual instrumentation and line-up, they really don't sound like anyone else. Some of the lyrics very prescient given the current political situation, too...

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1467031232' post='3080586']

And that's why I don't go to festivals...
[/quote]

Why, why, why is it that the ones who supply festival portaloos can't ask for them to be designed better? I mean , they block after the first half day. Surely a larger drain hole/ piping system would be in order. These toilets are going to get much more industrial treatment than the average household bog, which has a larger drain. It's surely in these event suppliers own interests, as it must be horrendous to have to clean them !

I know it certainly puts me off going to these things and I'm a guy. It must be worse for girls. Last one I went to , I was walking towards the line of bogs and I watched a girl going along the line tentatively opening each door and quickly shutting them again , which at least gave me an insight into which ones not to enter!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467053760' post='3080861']
I though PJ Harvey was bloody brilliant. Great songs, great performance, totally original, absolutely engaging. Really unusual instrumentation and line-up, they really don't sound like anyone else. Some of the lyrics very prescient given the current political situation, too...
[/quote]
Original most definitely - the band were right on it with the percussion and horns and all those Jazzmasters! She's an artist I don't really listen to but then she pops up on Glasto or other festivals, ageless as ever, and I think: she knows her music inside out and what she wants to do with it. A proper artist.

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1466882140' post='3079572']
I've been (not quite) watching this years offering - I liked Madness, but then, they are of 'my time' - turned off a lot of prog-rock noise and a fair number of females who seemed to think that 'talent' consists of stamping around the stage with spread legs (yawn) - Tina Turner did this stuff fifty years ago....anyone fancy coming in (maybe I'm just too old)?
[/quote]

Too old is relative.

Blue

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1467055583' post='3080883']

Why, why, why is it that the ones who supply festival portaloos can't ask for them to be designed better? I mean , they block after the first half day. Surely a larger drain hole/ piping system would be in order. These toilets are going to get much more industrial treatment than the average household bog, which has a larger drain. It's surely in these event suppliers own interests, as it must be horrendous to have to clean them !

I know it certainly puts me off going to these things and I'm a guy. It must be worse for girls. Last one I went to , I was walking towards the line of bogs and I watched a girl going along the line tentatively opening each door and quickly shutting them again , which at least gave me an insight into which ones not to enter!
[/quote]

I know what you mean, we call them port a potties in the States.

I looked into one of them once and wondered, "how did they get it on the ceiling" 😅

Blue

Edited by blue

Only just catching up with it all...

Currently watching Earth, Wind & Fire who are kicking ass! Great set so far :)

Enjoyed Adele, Madness and even Coldplay.

Grimes is by far the freshest act I've seen yet. That girl is amazing. Like Bjork meets Madonna, or something.

[/quote]

And to think that the person responsible must have clearly thought about that little piece of art. I wonder if they're in the habit of carrying little Union Flags around with them, just in case they get caught short.

Nowt as strange as folk.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1467060655' post='3080934']

And to think that the person responsible must have clearly thought about that little piece of art. I wonder if they're in the habit of carrying little Union Flags around with them, just in case they get caught short.

Nowt as strange as folk.
[/quote]

Some people think it's funny to do things like this, so it was probably planned with military precision!

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1467055583' post='3080883']

[/quote]

To be fair they had 'compost' loos at the campsites which were a lot better. By 'better' I mean you did not want to vomit immediately from smelling them 20 metres away. I swear the best thing to do at festivals is eat food that makes you constipated so you can hold it in. But by day 3 that's pretty impossible. The only way is to listen out for the cleaning trucks first thing in the morning, and get in there straight away after they're done.

My last visit to Glastonbury was 1986, I went specifically to see Husker Du, and I'm glad to say I did. My most enduring memory is the sh*t I had when I got home, having held it in for 3 days because I couldn't face the festival bogs, a trench with a row of cubicles over it and a hole in a wooden board to sit on. Several times I went in, took one look and retreated, refusing to have anything to do with the foulness I beheld. So when I left I decided to hold on a bit longer until I reached my own toilet rather than stop on the motorway-it was 'hello Mum, hello Dad, see you in half an hour!' Bliss. Doesn't sound like things have improved much in the last 30 years.