Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2016 - thoughts?

taunton-hobbit

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1467072142' post='3081041']
My last visit to Glastonbury was 1986, I went specifically to see Husker Du, and I'm glad to say I did. My most enduring memory is the sh*t I had when I got home, having held it in for 3 days because I couldn't face the festival bogs, a trench with a row of cubicles over it and a hole in a wooden board to sit on. Several times I went in, took one look and retreated, refusing to have anything to do with the foulness I beheld. So when I left I decided to hold on a bit longer until I reached my own toilet rather than stop on the motorway-it was 'hello Mum, hello Dad, see you in half an hour!' Bliss. Doesn't sound like things have improved much in the last 30 years.
[/quote]

Exactly my experience in 1987 - except for the Husker Du bit, obviously. A friend in our party took a LOT of Immodium to prevent any crapping, but his weekend was spoilt somewhat as he did [i]not [/i]feel well for some reason... I did what you did and exercised the power of mind over (fecal) matter.

Edited by discreet

I have lowered the tone of this entire thread.* But it's difficult to discuss festivals without this subject rearing it's ugly head (as it were). It's a difficult and potentially nightmarish aspect of every festival.

Poo stories are the best, we should have a whole poo story thread.

(*again. Sorry.)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467072574' post='3081043']

Exactly my experience in 1987 - except for the Husker Du bit, obviously. A friend in our party took a LOT of Immodium to prevent any crapping, but his weekend was spoilt somewhat as he did [i]not [/i]feel well for some reason... I did what you did and exercised the power of mind over (fecal) matter.
[/quote]
I just checked the Glastonbury history and it turns out it was 1987 I was there as well.

Edited by Deep Thought

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1467105686' post='3081157']
I just checked the Glastonbury history and it turns out it was 1987 I was there as well.
[/quote]

HD probably off my radar at that time. I went to see Elvis Costello and the Attractions, who were excellent. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467072574' post='3081043']
[/quote]

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1467105686' post='3081157']
[/quote]

I was there in '87 too and specifically wanted to see Husker Du. They were on Saturday afternoon as I remember and didn't disappoint even in the daylight. Other stand-out's for me were Gaye Bykers, The Soup Dragons, Hank Wangford, Billy Bragg and Stump.

Over-all I didn't really enjoy it. Lots of anarcho-punk types being w***ers in the camping areas. I remember sitting up on a hill looking at this massive shanty town thinking that this must be really bad for the local eco-system despite all the hippy posturing. You can keep it I thought and have never been back.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1467106424' post='3081167']
HD probably off my radar at that time. I went to see Elvis Costello and the Attractions, who were excellent. :)
[/quote]

It was OK when the Attractions started, but EC opened on his own and was monumentally dull. Along with New Order and Van Morrison, all the main headliners were boring, IMO of course :)

Edited by Billy Apple

I got back yesterday from what was my 9th Glastonbury so it was interesting to read this thread. I had a great time as ever, but the mud did make getting around the site much slower, so I saw less music than I hoped to. Some observations:

- the loos were better than ever, I reckon. The plastic portaloos are mostly replaced by composting toilets and of course there are the famous long drops, which I noticed were being cleaned more regularly
- the sound was really impressive at every stage I went to this year, even the Acoustic tent, which I've often found quite poor in the past. Modern PAs are amazing.
- the "37000 staff" figure is easy to believe when you realise the scale of the event. It's so much more than the 5 or 6 big stages you see on TV. It's like a medium sized town with streets lined with bars, cafes and shops and a venue on every corner.

Personal highlights for me were Floating Points at the Park, Roisin Murphy, and Kamasi Washington at West Holts. Washington's bassist Miles Mosley did some killer solos on upright.

I also got to headline the Fluffy Rock Cafe stage on Sunday night, which was a brilliant experience. We began playing to a handful of people at 11pm but as the main stages finished the tent completely filled up. We were doing crowd pleasing covers and it was fantastic to have such a great audience dancing and singing along!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1467106581' post='3081168']

I was there in '87 too and specifically wanted to see Husker Du. They were on Saturday afternoon as I remember and didn't disappoint even in the daylight. Other stand-out's for me were Gaye Bykers, The Soup Dragons, Hank Wangford, Billy Bragg and Stump.

Over-all I didn't really enjoy it. Lots of anarcho-punk types being w***ers in the camping areas. I remember sitting up on a hill looking at this massive shanty town thinking that this must be really bad for the local eco-system despite all the hippy posturing. You can keep it I thought and have never been back.
[/quote]

I recall it rained like Hell on the thursday, resulting in Somme-like conditions, but the Sun came out after that making life a lot pleasanter. It did leave a giant lake next to the Pyramid Stage, in the middle of which a Transit van was abandoned. Whilst Elvis Costello was on somebody torched it. I had done some acid, so the sight of a blazing Transit in the middle of a lake, plus Costello's laser show was pretty mind-blowing! I remember really enjoying That Petrol Emotion but not a lot else, and I too have never been back, despite the fact that I could get in for free via work.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1466967748' post='3080124']
Kind of enjoyed E.L.O altho as bland as hell.

Not my thing but he has a few hits and it is good he is still playing them for people who like that stuff
[/quote]My thoughts exactly. The Hyde Park gig was brilliant but I don't know why - this left me cold. Jeff looked like he didn't want to be there.

Edited by spectoremg

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1466980994' post='3080266']
Loved the ELO set but was all of this live ? It sounded just a bit too perfect..I had the impression that I heard far more voices than there were (and other instruments too). Bit weird because I couldn't see any clicktrack for the drummer. Jeff's voice was also so full as if it was doubled.
Great performance though, Turn to stone and Mr Blue Sky, shivers down my spine..
Who was the backing singer ? Had the feeling I had seen him before (reminded me of a character in The League of Gentlemen :-))
[/quote]I was a bit suspicious about Jeff's perfect vocals too - ELO were never strangers to aural enhancements in live shows.

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1467110129' post='3081206']

I also got to headline the Fluffy Rock Cafe stage on Sunday night, which was a brilliant experience. We began playing to a handful of people at 11pm but as the main stages finished the tent completely filled up. We were doing crowd pleasing covers and it was fantastic to have such a great audience dancing and singing along!
[/quote]

I caught the first half of your set, it was great! It did look like a lot of fun, nice one.

Kamasi Washington was my highlight, I'm glad that was on the Sunday as it would have ruined the rest !
White denim where fantastic as well.

I checked in and out to have a butchers at what Adele, ELO, Coldplay, Muse, Madness, Squeeze, Wolf Alice, PJ Harvey, New Order, Last Shadow Puppets and Tame Impala were up to. Gave each around 5 to 10 minutes and then turned over to see the footie which was way more interesting. I don't get why Adele is so successful other than she's better than the likes of Ellie Goulding and Pixie Lott.

[quote name='bigjohn' timestamp='1466986543' post='3080289']
She's been playing with Tilbrook for years. She's a Fluffer.
[/quote]

I looked up Tilbrook first. I was so glad that I saw "The Fluffers" on that site because I am far too young and innocent to go looking up words like "fluffer" on t'net.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1467189968' post='3081712']
I checked in and out to have a butchers at what Adele, ELO, Coldplay, Muse, Madness, Squeeze, Wolf Alice, PJ Harvey, New Order, Last Shadow Puppets and Tame Impala were up to. Gave each around 5 to 10 minutes and then turned over to see the footie which was way more interesting. I don't get why Adele is so successful other than she's better than the likes of Ellie Goulding and Pixie Lott.
[/quote]

Well said!

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1467189968' post='3081712']
[/quote]

Adele = Amy Winehouse for Daily Mail readers