Why become a member? ×

Glastonbury 2016 - thoughts?

taunton-hobbit

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1466953981' post='3079947']
I saw the first bit of adele and she was off key which surprised me. Maybe her monitoring was poor. I don't really know her but people rave. Got bored so went to watch something else, and came back for the end. She certainly rabbits on between songs doesn't she, but I guess that is her choice and what her fans want. At least the last song she was on key for, so that was better, but yes, not my sort of thing.
[/quote]

I found the clip I listened to quite wearing on the ears.... so switched over.
I quite like some of her studio songs normally but that didn't work for me and couldn't put up with a whole set of the same.

She has a great voice IMO, in a lot of ways, but I bet she is a real hard work for the BV's ...

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1466959174' post='3080004']
I'm watching the Pyramid stage live on I Player, and wondering quite how it can take so long to do the changeovers?
Seems to me that there's a lot of manpower involved here -
I'm expecting that by now (this is 2016) everything this side of a drumkit should be (literally) on wheels?
Please tell me if I'm wrong (don't bother pointing out 'this is a festival', please)

:)
[/quote]

I was told by people who work the festival that they 'employ' 37,000 people to put the thing on..??????

Saw Squeeze....as usual superbly musical and fab..
Saw Adele.....loved her mumsy image and I love the way she does what she does as a larger woman.....but I've never rated her voice much...thin and nasally, and she was flat here and there which for someone who is super hyped and who commands so much cash seems a bit wrong.
0.2$

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1466890034' post='3079626']
To be honest, more and more bands are using PCs these days as part of their setup. Its just part of the modern game now, it seems that bands want their live shows to sound more and more like the records.
[/quote]

Might just as well play their recordings to a light show then . . . oh hang on, that's what DJs do :lol:

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1466966547' post='3080106']
Yep ELO, super tight, massive back catalogue, good live mix, great musicians. Not really one of my fave bands but faultless really.
[/quote]

Exactly what I was thinking. Flawless.

Caught a few bits here and there while channel hopping, nothing really grabbed me so far. I thought I was getting old but watching most of the stuff there, I think I'm not sliding into middle age quick enough as a lot of it seemed really bland. The girlfriend and I thought Squeeze were really good and were pleasantly surprised to find we enjoyed Last Shadow Puppets, not knowing their stuff beforehand. We're both Muse fans so that was the highlight so far for us.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1466964350' post='3080077']
Clearing up the mess left behind?
[/quote]

They do that every day ... but a friend of mine engrs stages and that is the figure he said..
No reason to disbelieve him, but it is hard to get the head around that figure.

Just watched ELO. Great songs, took me back to my youth. Love to see a bird with her legs wrapped round a Cello... :gas: Watched a bit of Muse that I'd recorded coz my brother told me
I should get into them. Got three songs in and had to turn it off. Not my thing really. Load of bloody racket TBH. (Or am I just getting old?) :rolleyes:
Will be watching Coldplay tonight and EWF. Two of my favorite bands. Hope they don't disappoint. ;)

I'm glad it wasn't just me who thought E.L.O. were bland - saw them on tv last year (Albert Hall?) and they were great, it didn't seem to translate to Glastonbury, somehow. Once the cameras stopped panning on the VIP pit, the rest of the crowd looked a bit still, and not sure of what they were doing there(?) - again, the Sunday afternoon slot is about 'classics', not over rated youngsters with soft voices and not much zap - their appeal still seems to be to the young ones (which is to be expected), who don't 'get' 'our' stuff - that's ok, I don't 'get' their stuff much either, it's a generational thing..............

:)

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1466969058' post='3080142']
Dave Pomeroy has had a haircut! He does get some top gigs.
[/quote]

Just to be pedantic it's Lee but yes he does - seen him with Jeff, Steve Hackett and It Bites.

[quote name='blunderthumbs' timestamp='1466969205' post='3080145']

I think you mean Lee Pomeroy don't you ?
[/quote]My bad, I've had a drink and I'm trying to multi-task; bad combo! I'll go back and correct. Who's Dave Pomeroy?

Squeeze were great - was at the Pyramid stage watching them - they started a little nervously but seemed genuinely chuffed to be there and played an excellent set. Top song writers.

Another highlight was Paul Carrack at the Acoustic stage - another top song writer and great sound - v sweet punchy P bass sound from his bassist