Why become a member? ×

best bass for folk :-)

chickenjames

hello gang

the topic is intended to be ironic - please bear with me.

So, my usual band is a soul/funk/pop outfit - I normally use my EBMM Ray and everyone's happy.
Sometimes my Sire MM gets an outing as well but it's not quite as _rude_ as the 'Ray.

Now - I just joined an Irish band. Think Dubliners, Pogues, Saw Doctors. Needs driving electric bass - it's all the up tempo numbers and I love it.

Part of me is thinking that it would be amusing to get a U Bass or something like that but I'm not sure. Mostly I've been using the MM and it's going good so far.

What would you do?

The unmentionable John Hall bass. I used a 4001 for about 8 years in a very successful ceildh band. It was the late 70s early 80s :D If the EBMM works stick with it. You could always go to the dark side and get the big acoustic double thingy :gas:

Edited by 3below

An Epiphone Zenith. Check it out. Cheap, good for the sounds you'll want, and aesthetically perfect for such an outing :) ...

[url="http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Bass/Zenith.aspx"]http://www.epiphone....ass/Zenith.aspx[/url]

Edited by Fionn

P bass with flats. Pogues, Waterboys etc all used these and they worked fine. When I played in a similar band many years ago, used an old Westone Thunder with P pickup, did have active on there, but passive mode with tone rolled off worked fine. I'm a huge Ray fan, but think Ps the way to go

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1466324618' post='3074865']
If you're doing a more folk-rock thing, just use what you're comfortable with. Last time I took notice, Dave Pegg, who must be pretty much the icon of such behaviour, was using an Ibanez SR 5 string.
[/quote]

I'd agree with this; from what I see of bands playing this sort of thing at the moment, there isn't the same prediliction for retro instruments that's fashionable elsewhere - you tend not to see the more flashy boutique coffee table jobs, but it's not all four string passive Fenders either.

[quote name='Burrito' timestamp='1466340158' post='3075044']
I too think P-bass with flats, perhaps a bit of foam under the bridge... but forums always forget to acknowledge that you can pretty much play any genre on any bass.
[/quote]
Fretless Tbird with flats :) - I'd like to try that.

Anything will do, it's what you play that counts.
I play folk/rock and I've used an acoustic bass , a twin neck precision (fretted/fretless) ,Fender Jazz, telebass (with P pickup) and now a home made headless thing with jazz pickups. I'd go with the jazz if you're do a Dave Pegg but otherwise anything will do as long as you and the band like the sound and you're comfortable playing it.
You have a Stingray, it's good so far , you have the right bass.

[quote name='chickenjames' timestamp='1466280317' post='3074683']
Part of me is thinking that it would be amusing to get a U Bass or something like that but I'm not sure. Mostly I've been using the MM and it's going good so far.
[/quote]

If it's going good, why change anything?

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1466324618' post='3074865']
Last time I took notice, Dave Pegg, who must be pretty much the icon of such behaviour, was using an Ibanez SR 5 string.
[/quote]

Yep, he still uses them.

I was talking to him quite a few years ago (lovely chap) and we were reminiscing about 'gear we'd owned' and we'd both gone down very similar paths.

Started off with Fender, wandered into Japanese brands, drifted back to Fender and then ended up with Ibanez.

Very versatile instruments, nice and light and if you like skinny/fast necks you should definately try one out.