Why become a member? ×

Barefaced 4x10 announced!

LewisK1975

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1465478016' post='3068578']
Just had the email from Claire.

One10 nearly ready to ship. Can't wait to try a pair of them!
[/quote]

Nice!!

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1465511780' post='3068979']
Has anyone mentioned how bloody awkward 4x10 are to transport? My tech soundsystems gets round this by staggering the speakers. Surprised BF didn't do this, but I guess the design would put some people off.
[/quote]

The shape was one reason these cabs were deemed to be 'wrong' a few years ago and I remember hearing that a vertical 410 is the best way to do it but cab makers won't do those because it's not what the public want.
So , now we go full circle with a 'normal' shaped 410....yes I know all about the low pass thing etc etc..
Funny old world sometimes....

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1465550441' post='3069121']
So , now we go full circle with a 'normal' shaped 410....yes I know all about the low pass thing etc etc...
[/quote]

So Ampeg, Bergantino, Markbass et al are at fault for taking advantage of demand and producing 4X10s themselves, then? No mention made of their products - all of which apparently have some kind of unique selling point, if you read their advertising literature.

If you know about the low pass thing then it's hardly full-circle, as the BF 410 isn't the same as any other 410, is it? So why persist? If you don't like 410s don't buy one, and if you don't like Barefaced cabs, don't buy one. Exactly what is it about Barefaced as a company that provokes this kind of criticism when their competitors quietly do their thing (and not as well, imho) without comment on this forum? I don't get it.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1465551525' post='3069132']
Exactly what is it about Barefaced as a company that provokes this kind of criticism when their competitors quietly do their thing (and not as well, imho) without comment on this forum? I don't get it.
[/quote]

I think it's probably because Alex (and Bill for that matter) had the cheek to tell us that our favourite cabs had been badly designed and that they could do a far better job. Some people don't like being told that. Personally one the reasons I read these forums is to learn. I'll make up my own mind about Barefaced when I get the chance to properly try out some of their cabs in a serious gigging environment.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465552429' post='3069140']
I think it's probably because Alex (and Bill for that matter) had the cheek to tell us that our favourite cabs had been badly designed and that they could do a far better job. Some people don't like being told that. Personally one the reasons I read these forums is to learn. I'll make up my own mind about Barefaced when I get the chance to properly try out some of their cabs in a serious gigging environment.
[/quote]

Fair comment. I should know by now to avoid rising to the bait! :) I've owned and gigged several types of BF cab and as long as I (and the ever-increasing BF customer base) know they're good, that's all that counts. Alex is now sufficiently successful that he doesn't need the likes of me commenting on his products. Though I'm still baffled that some people obviously have an axe to grind. But I still don't know what that axe looks like or why it's being ground in the first place. [i]Funny old world... :)[/i]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Sharkfinger' timestamp='1465511780' post='3068979']
Has anyone mentioned how bloody awkward 4x10 are to transport? My tech soundsystems gets round this by staggering the speakers. Surprised BF didn't do this, but I guess the design would put some people off.
[/quote]
I've lugged my BF four10 to half a dozen rehearsals now and I don't find it that awkward. It's smaller and lighter than any other 4x10 I'm aware of, (and 1x15 for that matter), has sensible handles, etc.

I think it's the one-cab solution. If I wanted something smaller I'd look no further than the rest of the the BF range.

Compare the dimensions for yourself - it is soooo small - but it sounds huge!

I do wonder if Alex was responding to the market with this range of cabs - if you spend years trying to persuade bassists they don't need a 4x10" and they still want a 4x10", it seems like good business sense to recognise that and come up with a better 4x10 instead!
In general, designs which try to change players perceptions of what they really need find a few enthusiastic adherents and influence other designers but never find a huge market share; the original Steinberger basses would be an example. Quite a few successful manufacturers of bass gear have looked at the industry standard gear that working musicians are using and then tried to make an improved but recognisable version of that. If done well, it seems to be a winning formula; something like what Sadowsky did with Fender designs.

It's very similar in size and weight to the Aguilar SL410x.

Having got rid a 410 because it was so cumbersome to lift, not only the weight but the size, having seen Dave Boonshoft quite easily pick up an SL410x, I'd quite happily get one of these new smaller 410's. They're probably not much bigger than the 212s everyone is getting now.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1465553640' post='3069154']
I do wonder if Alex was responding to the market with this range of cabs - if you spend years trying to persuade bassists they don't need a 4x10 and they still want a 4x10, it seems like good business sense to recognise that and come up with a better 4x10 instead!
[/quote]

I was going to mention this but you've put it much more succinctly. His plan seems to be working, judging by one or two high-profile users of the range. No-one criticises other brands for taking advantage of the market.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1465552429' post='3069140']
[/quote]

You're too reasonable. Didn't you read the memo? That's not how you behave on internet! :angry: :P

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1465551525' post='3069132']
So Ampeg, Bergantino, Markbass et al are at fault for taking advantage of demand and producing 4X10s themselves, then? No mention made of their products - all of which apparently have some kind of unique selling point, if you read their advertising literature.

If you know about the low pass thing then it's hardly full-circle, as the BF 410 isn't the same as any other 410, is it? So why persist? If you don't like 410s don't buy one, and if you don't like Barefaced cabs, don't buy one. Exactly what is it about Barefaced as a company that provokes this kind of criticism when their competitors quietly do their thing (and not as well, imho) without comment on this forum? I don't get it.
[/quote]

I have no problem at all with 410 cabs , I have used many of them for years and always liked them. I have not slagged Barefaced off or said their products are no good etc , I just made the point about the 410 shape which was they said was wrong for several reasons.
I myself have never found a 410 difficult to transport and couldn't understand why others had a problem with them.
The marketing telling us that we don't need 410 cabs and then producing one doesn't really sit too well with me , that's all.
Now stop being so bloody defensive about Barefaced and accusing other people of slagging them off , as by doing so you create these arguments then sit back and blame others.

End of my contribution to this thread due to being shouted down , yet again , by the Barefaced fan club.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1465553640' post='3069154']
I do wonder if Alex was responding to the market with this range of cabs - if you spend years trying to persuade bassists they don't need a 4x10" and they still want a 4x10", it seems like good business sense to recognise that and come up with a better 4x10 instead!
[/quote]

Kinda like wot I sed but more better, ya get me? :)

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1465555331' post='3069177']

End of my contribution to this thread due to being shouted down , yet again , by the Barefaced fan club.
[/quote]

There's no need to be like that. You got a robust argument countering your own argument. It sounds quite reasonable from where I'm sitting. :)

Frank.

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1465555331' post='3069177']
Now stop being so bloody defensive about Barefaced and accusing other people of slagging them off , as by doing so you create these arguments then sit back and blame others.
[/quote]

I'll post whatever I feel is appropriate within the rules of this forum. And it's certainly not me creating these arguments. After all this time I still don't know what it is about Barefaced that provokes such a negative reaction.

I have no issue with those who have tried Barefaced cabs and don't like them. That's how we find out what we like and what we don't like. Each to his own. My problem is with those who have decided to take a negative stance against BF without [i]ever [/i]having played through a Barefaced cab, or without having heard one for themselves.

I'm assuming you have tried a Barefaced cab and didn't like it?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='skychaserhigh' timestamp='1465555331' post='3069177']The marketing telling us that we don't need 410 cabs and then producing one doesn't really sit too well with me , that's all.[/quote]

I'm pretty certain that from the very start my point has always been to question the assumption that the conventional 4x10" with tweeter is the best format for a bass cab, especially if you want maximum accuracy. That's why we still don't make a 4x10" for that purpose, instead making the Big Baby 2 and Big Twin 2. So it wasn't that you didn't a 410, it was trying to persuade bassists that there were other choices which could work as well or even better.

Personally I prefer narrower cabs from a portability perspective but it rarely looks great having a head that's wider than your cab, hence we've been making wide format (and coloured) cabs since the early days of Barefaced, examples being the Vintage, the '69er and then the Two10 and Six10. Despite the width of those cabs we've tried to keep them easy to move by reducing the depth and weight etc. The Four10 just fills the space between the Two10 and Six10.

As I've said numerous times about the 10CR range, it isn't just about the low pass filter, it's that we've created a driver with huge volume displacement, superior dispersion and wider bandwidth, a tonal colouration that works really well for a lot of bass sounds, and a unique enclosure design which feels like a sealed cab but achieves the efficiency of a ported cab, whilst also keeping the cab size down. It works so well it seemed foolish to stick with our original plan of just making a 2x10" and 6x10", especially as its proven even louder on the gig than we expected.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1465557522' post='3069216']
Wouldn't life be easier if the forum had a similar stance on BF with Rickenbacker....?
*runs away*
[/quote]

Please run back and construct that sentence so it can be understood by humans.