Why become a member? ×

What Bass Guitar Lead?

Malcspring1

Hey folks. I was wondering who could recommend a decent lead? Cost is not the only consideration, but I don't want to be spending megamoney. Gave my new bass rig it's shakedown today, but I was using a midrange lead. With the imminent arrival of my new bass, I want to make sure that everything is covered, including the cables.
Thanks alot. :)

I've used The Chord Company Cream cables for the past 7 years.
Highly recommended for sound and build quality without the crazy boutique prices.

http://www.chord.co.uk/mobile/product.php?product=chord-cream-guitar-and-bass-cable

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1461001688' post='3030557']
I am a big fan of Rattlesnake leads, but they can work out a little expensive after delivery/customs.

Nothing wrong with OBBM cables :)
[/quote]

I bought a rattlesnake lead off Kev a good few years ago now and an definitely a fan. Haven't tried OBBM but he'll likely be my next port of call when I need a new cable.

I've always liked whirlwind leads but was recently in need of another so bought one of those fender custom shop tweed ones because I'm a tart- quite nice & seems like decent quality.

Got an obbm speaker cable though & its very good.

No point buying anything other than OBBM cables. I have bought [i]lots [/i]over a number of years and they are all still A1. Best quality components, professional assembly, super-fast delivery, exemplary communications and great value. What more d'you want??

http://bassic-bits.co.uk/

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1461004047' post='3030579']
I tend to go with http://www.designacable.com. Neutrik jack plugs, Van Damme cables and lots of lovely colours if you want. Decent price too.
[/quote]

+1 for designacable

I like the neutrik with sommers braided cables

You're all crazy! The only possible answer is http://www.mpamp.com/products/red-cables/

[color=#ff0000][i][b]"SpinX[/b] is based on a nano treatment that can bring up nano-particles on the leading material with a very special process. After the treatment process the magnetic field caused by the signal flow starts to re-organize electrons. When the electrons are re-lined so called spin-wave is achieved, which partly participates to carry the signal with the normal charge current. The effect will spread and optimize the whole signal chain – in this case from instrument to speaker output."[/i][/color]

I mean, c'mon guys, it's a [i][b]nano [/b][/i]treatment!

Heed not these siren calls from afar. Look no further than OBBM, for all cable needs, including special needs and unusual combinations of connectors. Top quality, top pricing, top lead time (free pun in there, somewhere...), and [s]Mike's[/s] Dave's a real Good Egg, too. They don't get any better than those, word. B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1461004455' post='3030586']
I've always liked whirlwind leads but was recently in need of another so bought one of those fender custom shop tweed ones because I'm a tart- quite nice & seems like decent quality.

Got an obbm speaker cable though & its very good.
[/quote]

Both of my Fender tweedy ones gave up, causing me all sots of odd problems - they don't support the outer cable well at all where it goes into the jack connector, just heat shrink which allows he cable to fracture over time . Replaced them with OBBM's lovely ones which have Neutrik jacks with proper glands to support the cable and a speaker cable too and have had no more issues. Fender ones in he bin. OBBM is your man.

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1461158547' post='3031971']
Both of my Fender tweedy ones gave up, causing me all sots of odd problems - they don't support the outer cable well at all where it goes into the jack connector, just heat shrink which allows he cable to fracture over time . Replaced them with OBBM's lovely ones which have Neutrik jacks with proper glands to support the cable and a speaker cable too and have had no more issues. Fender ones in he bin. OBBM is your man.
[/quote]

Yeah I was in a predicament where OBBM couldn't help (needed a lead in the next 10 minutes) - I'll see how it goes, it's doing very well so far & does look nice so I'm not discounting the Fender one just yet.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1461149342' post='3031827']
You're all crazy! The only possible answer is http://www.mpamp.com/products/red-cables/

[color=#ff0000][i][b]"SpinX[/b] is based on a nano treatment that can bring up nano-particles on the leading material with a very special process. After the treatment process the magnetic field caused by the signal flow starts to re-organize electrons. When the electrons are re-lined so called spin-wave is achieved, which partly participates to carry the signal with the normal charge current. The effect will spread and optimize the whole signal chain – in this case from instrument to speaker output."[/i][/color]

I mean, c'mon guys, it's a [i][b]nano [/b][/i]treatment!
[/quote]
Exactly, it's a no-brainer really. I mean, sure, OBBM's cables might be superbly made and extremely good value, but do they [i]re-organise the electrons[/i]? Do they [i]partly participate[/i]? I think not. C'mon people, get some snake-oil in your signal chain!

I've never tried OBBM's cables, though I feel as though I have :)

Another option is http://www.award-session.com/cleartone_cables.html . I've run a couple for five years and they've been great.

Price-wise, I don't think you can do better for handwired-in-the-UK cables, anywhere.

Someone bought me one of those cloth covered Fender leads with a right angled jack a few years ago and I must say I rather like it, it coils away very neatly even in my neanderthal hands. It also matches the flight case my Precision came in, as if that really matters :rolleyes:

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1461163950' post='3032053']
Someone bought me one of those cloth covered Fender leads with a right angled jack a few years ago and I must say I rather like it, it coils away very neatly even in my neanderthal hands. It also matches the flight case my Precision came in, as if that really matters :rolleyes:
[/quote]

the one i currently use is a Fender Gold bass guitar lead but they dont make them anymore, been very good so far but i'll be getting an OBBM one sometime soon as i could do with a longer cable, the fender one is only 12ft