Why become a member? ×

Signature Basses

Roger2611

Here's why - imagine you work in Fender's marketing department, and you're presented with the following. Which do you choose?

'FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Fender, creators of classic instruments from the beginning of rock'n'roll, are delighted to announce the lauch of a white Precision bass, with a black pickguard and a maple neck.'

'FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: [color=#333333]Punk bass starts with Douglas “Dee Dee Ramone” Colvin. As the pounding heart of the Ramones, he pioneered a no-frills sound and style that left a permanent mark on rock music. On a white Fender Precision Bass slung impossibly low, he defined punk bass with simple but breakneck bass lines delivered with such pulverizing sound, speed and conviction that he singlehandedly set the template for generations of punk bassists to come..... etc.'[/color]

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1460897959' post='3029590']
The stuck on stencil relicing on the Rory strat is awful imo,have you seen one in the flesh?
[/quote]
[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1460902451' post='3029634']

Sadly sunburst jazz guy is right, they look pretty awful in the flesh. And if you've been lucky enough to see the original it'd be game over! :)
[/quote]

That was my thought too when I saw the Rory reviewed in a magazine. When I saw one in the flesh it looked a 1000 times worse. Fakest relic I've ever seen, like a 10 year old stencilled it!

Edited by TrevorR

I've never bought a signature bass. I don't think I've ever liked a bass player who had a seemingly-inimitable sound.

And if I had, I would have tried to imitate it rather than buy his/her signature-model guitar.

As much as I don't really care for Billy Sheehan's playing, or the cult he's a member of, I think his sig model is the only interesting one I've seen. I wouldn't buy one but it's something different and I imagine they're really nice basses due to his input and Yamaha being Yamaha.

I'm sorry if anyone has one, and maybe i just played a bad one, which is possible and my playing was sh*t which is also possible, but this is when signature basses go wrong. It was a horrible instrument. The frets were hanging off the board, the strings were awful. massive gauge for a 4 string, the action was like i was playing a banana. The pickups sounded like i was playing cat gut strings through a crap radio. it was god awful this particular Flea bass. The Modulus counterpart is too graphite hifi for me, but is quite EPIC to play.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1460853069' post='3029379']
The Duff McKagan is a good example of how a sig instrument should be. The bass it`s modeled on is no longer in production, and many people like Duffs sound, so to me this one makes sense.
[/quote]

I would argue the only person that will get Duff's sound from his signature model is Duff.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1460904013' post='3029647']
Great quote, although I believe that was JJ Burnell... I remember the original interview.

He may have nicked it from Dee Dee, though.
[/quote]

OT.... but I just thought it was really cool that KK was quoting JJ and Dee Dee.... :D

Oh and by the way, The Geddy Lee sig is still just about the best J bass I have played and/or owned. I have owned two of them and in both cases regretted having to sell them. I will get another when finances allow. The neck just suits me perfectly :)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1460917814' post='3029802']
That was my thought too when I saw the Rory reviewed in a magazine. When I saw one in the flesh it looked a 1000 times worse. Fakest relic I've ever seen, like a 10 year old stencilled it!
[/quote]

But no-one in their right mind would want an authentic copy of Rory's Strat. Having seen the real thing "in the flesh" it's pretty gross in terms of the amount of gunk and other nasty substances that are embedded into the instrument. I wouldn't want to handle it without putting on an extra strong pair of surgical gloves first.

I've owned a signature bass. This one:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/YamahaBJ5B.jpg[/IMG]

It's the Terry And The Blue Jeans signature bass. I had little knowledge of the band before I discovered the bass, and having heard them they are far to much at the "show band" end of Surf Music for me to really like them. However if, like me, you want a 5-string bass in the Yamaha SBV shape this is the only way of getting one without having someone custom build one for you.

I'm also interested in the Brad Houser version of the Reverend Rumblefish Bass, despite the fact that I have yet to hear any music by the artist in question that I even remotely like.

I personally couldn't care less if it has a signature on the headstock, being a signature model wouldn't put me off buying a bass. A good bass is a good bass and 99% of the audience wouldn't have a clue anyway!

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1460937122' post='3030010']
I've never bought a signature bass. I don't think I've ever liked a bass player who had a seemingly-inimitable sound.

[/quote]

The only 'signature' bass I ever owned was a Fender Tony Franklin Precision Fretless.

I had never heard of Tony Franklin and I still haven't heard Tony Franklin's playing.

It's the only unlined fretless Precision Fender did. That's why I bought it.

I wouldn't mind a Lakland Jerry Scheff. Nothing to do with Jerry Scheff himself, but I like the widely spaced lipstick pickups.

Most people with a Les Paul have no idea who Les Paul was.

Most signature instruments seem to be stock instruments with an autograph on the headstock and an increase in price.

Off the top of my head I can only think of Marcus Miller's Jazz bass and Billy Sheehan's Yamaha Attitude bass as being anything 'signature'. They, especially Sheehan, created a bass that was unique for them.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1460980807' post='3030310']
I've owned a signature bass. This one:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Bass/YamahaBJ5B.jpg[/IMG]

It's the Terry And The Blue Jeans signature bass. I had little knowledge of the band before I discovered the bass, and having heard them they are far to much at the "show band" end of Surf Music for me to really like them. However if, like me, you want a 5-string bass in the Yamaha SBV shape this is the only way of getting one without having someone custom build one for you.

I'm also interested in the Brad Houser version of the Reverend Rumblefish Bass, despite the fact that I have yet to hear any music by the artist in question that I even remotely like.
[/quote]

That is one cool looking bass,

How can you go wrong with white with gold trim.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1460954001' post='3030033']
I would argue the only person that will get Duff's sound from his signature model is Duff.

Blue
[/quote]

I know what you mean Blue, tone does come from the player, and Duff has a particularly aggressive way of playing. But my point is more that for anyone liking Duff, rather than having to try and customise/piece together a bass to get his sound/look, well there`s one there for them as the original series isn`t made anymore - though occaisonally they turn up on evilbay. Unlike the Dee Dee which, if you want a bass that looks and sounds like his, well any white/maple Precision with a change of pickguard and you`re pretty much there.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1460853069' post='3029379']
The Duff McKagan is a good example of how a sig instrument should be. The bass it`s modeled on is no longer in production, and many people like Duffs sound, so to me this one makes sense.
[/quote]

I think the current Duff is Mexican and around £1070 new :o

The active "Power" model comes up quite frequently on here Lozz.
The passive, original (about 84-91) rarely comes up. They are quite nice, i'll take a photo one day ;) :D
I'll have to dig the bloody bass out 1st!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1461000974' post='3030544']

I know what you mean Blue, tone does come from the player, and Duff has a particularly aggressive way of playing. But my point is more that for anyone liking Duff, rather than having to try and customise/piece together a bass to get his sound/look, well there`s one there for them as the original series isn`t made anymore - though occaisonally they turn up on evilbay. Unlike the Dee Dee which, if you want a bass that looks and sounds like his, well any white/maple Precision with a change of pickguard and you`re pretty much there.
[/quote]

Were not far apart on this one. I am the worlds biggest Macca fan. I play a Hofner Club bass because of the look, but I don't sound like Paul. I wish 😄.

Interesting that Paul has no business ties with Hofner, never has. Yet one could say any Hofner violin style bass is Macca Signature.Paul put Hofner in the real big business arena as far as I'm concerned.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1461001658' post='3030555']

I think the current Duff is Mexican and around £1070 new :o

The active "Power" model comes up quite frequently on here Lozz.
The passive, original (about 84-91) rarely comes up. They are quite nice, i'll take a photo one day ;) :D
I'll have to dig the bloody bass out 1st!
[/quote]

£1070 for a MIM?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1461030705' post='3030814']

Were not far apart on this one. I am the worlds biggest Macca fan. I play a Hofner Club bass because of the look, but I don't sound like Paul. I wish 😄.

Interesting that Paul has no business ties with Hofner, never has. Yet one could say any Hofner violin style bass is Macca Signature.Paul put Hofner in the real big business arena as far as I'm concerned.

Blue
[/quote] I was talking to a Hofner rep, and he said they sell more left handed basses than right, and the vast majority are hung on walls.

Oddly, I don't mind siggie basses if the player means nothing to me whatsoever.

Fender Japan do a bass for some cat called Hama Okamoto. It's a dead straight '62 sunburst P-bass with a Jazz width nut. Ain't nothing wrong with that. Our man Hama could play hair metal, K-pop or deeply progressive post-rock sea shanties, I don't care, I'd buy that bass as long as his signature's not visible from the front.

Equally I have never googled Sean Hurley, although I suspect I know the kind of thing he does, but i'd buy a Precision with a Jaguar string mute any day. Gimme gimme. (Though not at that price).

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1461035625' post='3030823']
I was talking to a Hofner rep, and he said they sell more left handed basses than right, and the vast majority are hung on walls.
[/quote]

That doesn't surprise me.

Me, I'm not a collector. I have a German made limited edition Club Bass with cavern club PU spacing. I take it to all gigs, and play it for at least one set.

Blue

Edited by blue