Why become a member? ×

Signature Basses

Roger2611

It's funny how many people are attracted to artist signature series basses, I wonder how many of the original basses were the "best of the bunch" basses, in most cases I expect they were the one hanging on the wall of the nearest guitar store to the bank where the record company advance was cashed that the now revered bassist looked at and thought yeah that will look cool.

Fender are offering the Dee Dee Ramone bass

As a huge Ramones fan, I can't remember reading anywhere a credible story where Dee Dee found and fell in love with this truly fantastic example of a Precision bass, from what I have read probably the only reason it wasn't sold to pay for his next fix was because it was locked away in a studio somewhere!

I can't think of any examples where the bass (or any instrument) is more influential than the player, I understand the desire to own a bass that looks like the one your hero played but unless the bass has some very special features that are unavailable on a standard instrument, I can't see the point in paying any more than the standard price for it.

A perfect example would be the Sid Vicious Precision...would Sid really have known a good Precision if it hit him over the head? The guy in the audience in San Francisco who got hit over the head with it would probably be better able to tell you if it was a good bass than Sid would have been.

Your thoughts ladies and gents?

its a money making exercise. Some great instruments came from said bass players. but the brand's are monopolising on the fame of certain players. Thats not a bad thing the Roscoe Beck is such a great bass, as is the Marcus Miller 5. i don't want to offend anyone about the sig basses that should never be played. One word though. Flea

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1460845960' post='3029334']
its a money making exercise. Some great instruments came from said bass players. but the brand's are monopolising on the fame of certain players. Thats not a bad thing the Roscoe Beck is such a great bass, as is the Marcus Miller 5. i don't want to offend anyone about the sig basses that should never be played. One word though. Flea
[/quote]

Wot 'e said!

It does seem to vary so much. It seems like there are a very few which are based on some hard thinking by an artist about what they wanted or needed. The MM Jazz and Yamaha Attitude spring to mind but then it becomes much harder. Most just try to clone and cash in on the instrument that an artist happened to be playing when they got famous, coz people might pay a bit more for them. Others are hand crafted from the rare tone wood known in Latin as Showmewhere Themoneyiis.

Stepping out of bass world, it always amused me that EVH's Wolfgang type custom just always seemed to be exactly the same instrument irrespective of whether Ernie Ball, Peavey or whoever were making it (and presumably waving a large wad of five pound notes in his direction at the time).

My favourite Dee Dee quote about basses ( and the only one I'm aware of ) was something along the lines of 'I prefer maple boards because they bounce better'.

I don't begrudge Fender giving him a signature model posthumously because I imagine his estate could do with the cash. I also think it's the prettiest precicion in the current range.

I do think there's a smidge of hypocrisy from Fender in that they seem to be cashing in on his name now but never offered him any kind of endorsement while he was alive. Partly because at that time the Ramones, whilst a cult band with a strong following weren't seen as the hugely influential legends they are now, partly because at that time Fender liked to associate itself with virtuoso players & partly because Dee Dee was a massive drug addict.

Edited by Cato

Can't see what the problem is, they wouldn't make them if people didn't want them. I guess it's like the football fan that wants their fave players name on the back of the shirt, or the music fan girl who wants to wear Beyoncé perfume, they can do what they like with their £'s.

I own a Modulus Flea, only signature bass I've ever owned. But that's because of the specs, though im a childhood Chili's fan it wouldn't bother me if it was a Flea or a Funk Unlimited model. I once had a Jeff Tweedy signature Martin acoustic too, just because I liked the spec. I was cool with that as it was a subtle signature model. I like the Eric Clapton Martins but couldn't deal with his signature on the fingerboard to be honest, or anyone's for that matter :)

Over the years I've sold lots of signature basses and guitars to people who were really chuffed to buy them, I'm glad for them.

I actually like the idea of signature basses , and basses they are personally selected basses on such things (such as 3ts 6ri with flats to play Motown, or a white P to play Clash covers) but at the end of the day they are just basses. Players and fans pick them for differing reasons , it's all part of the fun.

I quite like the idea of signature models if it offers a combination of components that aren't normally available together as a standard model, which is often the case.

Sure you could take a regular model and customise it I guess, A good example is the Nate Mendel Precision - the combination of neck, pickups and bridge makes it quite attractive.

Funnily enough, my first bass was a Geddy Lee Sig Jazz. I'd never heard of him. I knew nothing about bass specs or what I liked. I hated the idea of signature basses but my bass tutor went with me to the shop, got the assistant to get every bass down in my budget and I just loved the feel and look of the Geddy. My bass tutor had to talk me into looking beyond the signature. Im glad I did and now signature basses don't bother me so much. I see 'signature' more as a way for companies to say 'non-standard spec on a production model'.

It's funny that the OP talks about the idea of the original simply being 'the best of the bunch'... Maybe Geddy's original jazz was the 'best of the bunch' in the shop and they then modelled his signature on it which was the 'best of the bunch' when I went in to the shop. Funny world!

Edited by skej21

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1460874692' post='3029401']
I couldn't care less if it's a so-called 'signature'. I would happily play a Les Paul.
[/quote]

Interesting case in point, the Les Paul is almost like Hoover or Biro in that it has become synonymous with that shape of guitar / Vacuum cleaner / ball point pen, so although I suppose it is a signature model it is not in the same sense as say a Slash AFD signature version of the Les Paul signature guitar (especially when the original AFD guitar was not even a Gibson) Also there is a lot of debate as to how much Les Paul actually offered to the guitar.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1460879555' post='3029425']
It's funny that the OP talks about the idea of the original simply being 'the best of the bunch'... Maybe Geddy's original jazz was the 'best of the bunch' in the shop and they then modelled his signature on it which was the 'best of the bunch' when I went in to the shop. Funny world!
[/quote]

I was actually thinking of the Geddy Lee bass being a possible exception to the rule and possibly having been a "great bass" in the first place but then again, never having played the original we simply don't know how good / playable the original is and how much Fender have modded it to be friendly to the masses.

There certainly are signature basses out there that offer real difference to the standard instrument and, to me, they are certainly going to be worth the extra money to buyers who want that exact model but it is things like the Dee Dee Ramone bass that is just a White on black Precision (whereas a lot of photos of Dee Dee show a red tort guard) with a maple neck, the only thing different is the neck plate which wouldn't have been on the original anyway. I just see that as a cynical money maker

I remember Fender offering a Duck Dunn Precision a few years ago but reading about the original it was apparently virtually unplayable in the set up he favoured and Mr Dunn didn't even like it! I assume most of us would be happier with a stock instrument in the same colour scheme?

I am surprised Fender haven't launched a post London Calling album cover version of the Paul Simonon bass!

The Epiphone Jack Casady signature is a good example of signature bass done right IMO: Jack used to play the Gibson Les Paul Signature bass (upon which the JC Sig is based), Jack had direct involvement in the development (the pickup design for instance) and perhaps most crucially of all, he actually plays his signature bass live and in a professional capacity to this day - straight from the factory, "no ringers" as he puts it.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1460891794' post='3029528']
The Epiphone Jack Casady signature is a good example of signature bass done right IMO: Jack used to play the Gibson Les Paul Signature bass (upon which the JC Sig is based), Jack had direct involvement in the development (the pickup design for instance) and perhaps most crucially of all, he actually plays his signature bass live and in a professional capacity to this day - straight from the factory, "no ringers" as he puts it.
[/quote]

This is also the case with the Epi Allen Woody "Rumblekat" although Allen unfortunately never got much time to roadtest it.

The quality and affordability of both these basses is exceptional imho.

I'm not a really great fan of The Foo fighters or, Nate Mendel, but the signature bass is perfect for me and the music I play.
I,m not really that bothered if its a sig bass or not. Its got a great neck and tone and thats all I care about.
Although I do like the early 70's vibe.

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1460897959' post='3029590']
The stuck on stencil relicing on the Rory strat is awful imo,have you seen one in the flesh?
[/quote]
No, just pictures. I'm disappointed to hear it's not great. I've seen Rory's original......

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1460900148' post='3029620']

No, just pictures. I'm disappointed to hear it's not great. I've seen Rory's original......
[/quote]

Sadly sunburst jazz guy is right, they look pretty awful in the flesh. And if you've been lucky enough to see the original it'd be game over! :)

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1460870863' post='3029395']
My favourite Dee Dee quote about basses ( and the only one I'm aware of ) was something along the lines of 'I prefer maple boards because they bounce better'.
[/quote]

Great quote, although I believe that was JJ Burnell... I remember the original interview.

He may have nicked it from Dee Dee, though.

Edited by KK Jale

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1460904013' post='3029647']
Great quote, although I believe that was JJ Burnell... I remember the original interview.

He may have nicked it from Dee Dee, though.
[/quote]
I was always surprised JJ didn't get a signature P from Fender, no actually surprised is the wrong word, this is the company who gave Mark Hoppus a signature model, he uses a capo on his bass........

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1460853069' post='3029379']
The Duff McKagan is a good example of how a sig instrument should be. The bass it`s modeled on is no longer in production, and many people like Duffs sound, so to me this one makes sense.
[/quote]

That's an example that always seems a bit daft to me - why not just reissue the bass if there's a demand for it? Duff's was always just a stock bass after all.
I've always felt the signature bass should in some way be unique to the player.