Why become a member? ×

It's new cab time. Needs to be light!

jeigenbass

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1459801255' post='3019869']
...my only (genuine) question is, what do people find so displeasing about the looks that makes them rule out trying one?
[/quote]

I've not ruled out trying one but I don't really like the looks of them. This isn't a dig, we all have different aesthetic qualities we look for, personally:
- I'm not keen on the stuff they use to cover the non-"retro" cabs (ie all the 12's)
- I don't like the sharp-ish looking edges of the front porting (or indeed the visibility of the porting)
- I've not seen the new ones but I didn't like the way the panel at the back for inserting the speaker leads sat non-flush/inset (it just looked a little cheap)
- I prefer inset handles (though I know nearly every manufacturer is doing the same as BF, I wish they'd all stop it)

I know none of that is really important or even has any bearing on the build quality but they add to the feeling for me like the cabs don't look like a premium product (the retro 210's are a vast step in in terms of quality looks, though I'm not keen on the metal grill). I completely get that people don't like the faux-retro styling of brands like Aguillar/TKS (with v-frame) - each to our own I guess.

Again that wasn't a dig at Barefaced, I don't want to get drawn into to the war of the fanboi's - but if you ask what people don't like the looks of (talking only about the looks) that's what I would say. I would still try one if one was offered or I was down in Brighton & this is no comment on the way they sound (I've only heard two at gigs & neither band were of my "style" so it's hard to compare the bass tones).

Edited by Lw.

[quote name='jeigenbass' timestamp='1459803563' post='3019906']
Well I'm glad this topic has sparked such interest, it is indeed a great time to be a bass player!

*Update*
Had a gig in Brighton tonight so I stopped by the BF factory to try out some cabs. First thing I'll say is that the guys at BF are super nice and passionate about what they do, which is always a plus. Following recommendations, I tried my Markbass Momark 500 through a Supertwin and the Two 10. Both great cabs all around - lightweight, powerful and wonderful tone . My only reservation is that I have been playing a 2x10 with an adjustable tweeter for the past 4 years so naturally I was missing a bit of sparkle. The 2x10 was slightly more appealing as it goes up to a higher freq range than the Supertwin. It might just be something I need to get used to so I'm going to spend more time checking out the full range
[/quote]

Great stuff. Always the best way. We can all chip in with what sounds good, but ultimately everyone's preferences and tastes are different.

Regards cabs painted in TuffCab paint.

It may not look 'pretty' however, really it's just makes it look like black box like all other black boxes, which for most of the time we have our backs turned to. My latest cab is covered in the stuff, if it looked crap the wife would have said so. Unlike the well gigged and tolex torn 410 I had until recently, that I would have had to pay someone quite a bit of cash to recover to look decent again, with TuffCab I can buy a pot of it on ebay and 'repair' any blemishes myself. :) I don't believe the covering actually effects the tone of the cabinet either, although I might be wrong.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1459850211' post='3020159']
Regards cabs painted in TuffCab paint.

It may not look 'pretty' however, really it's just makes it look like black box like all other black boxes, which for most of the time we have our backs turned to.
[/quote]

It could be argued that you generally don't see the clothes you're wearing, or the car you (may) drive around in... etc.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459850388' post='3020162']
It could be argued that you generally don't see the clothes you're wearing, or the car you (may) drive around in... etc.
[/quote]

I drive an old Mondeo and predominately wear jeans, t-shirt and trainers (none of which have logos on)...what can I say :)

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1459803605' post='3019908']

The tone of the 12" cabs is too clean and revealing for some players. I can totally understand that.

[/quote]

I'm never sure about the idea that some gear is "too revealing" for some players, as it implies that those players have to choose gear to hide the deficiencies in their playing. This is not intended as a dig at yourself specifically, but it can come across as self-congratulatory on the part of the people who use the "revealing" gear. I don't think a cab with flat response is necessarily more revealing than one with a coloured response, as for example, a strong upper-mid peak can show up a lot of string and finger noise which would be less apparent with a flatter cab.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1459850719' post='3020166']
I drive an old Mondeo and predominately wear jeans, t-shirt and trainers (none of which have logos on)...what can I say :)
[/quote]

Ha.. pretty much me too, but.. someone put a lot of time into designing those, whether it affects your choice or not. It must matter to some people :-)

Coming from Berg cabs, and now using TKS, there's no doubt in my mind that the BF cabs didn't feel as substantial and 'engineereed'. Whilst I appreciate it's probably entirely cosmetic thing, 'cos I'm a human being, it undoubtedly influences how I feel about them.

Other things too - I remember it being mentioned that cloth over a steel grille was too tricky to achieve... TKS do it perfectly.

I don't want to make this BFB vs. other cab builders - they're great cabs with satisfied owners. But I think a rejig on the looks (and binning that awful badge) would do more good than harm.

I don't remember any fuss being made when Trace came out with their black painted boxes. Those things looked pretty second-hand with in 5 mins of loading them into the van. Also no fuss over the tuff coated Peavey cabs in the 80's.

I seem to recall that the sound of a cab was the important thing back then.

Wow. How did this become a pro/anti Barefaced thread then? Please guys... knock it off?

Jeigenbass, like you I have been on this quest for portable cabs, preferably one cab that can "do it all".
You see, combining two cabs and then planning to only use one of those two for small gigs means your amp will be working at 8 ohms, which in my opinion is meh.

There are several factors that decide the portability of a cabinet. Weight of course being the primary one. The shape of the cab however also becomes pretty vital. A 1x15 or 2x10 isn't gonna be very tall. You will have to bend towards the ground to lift it up and to toss it into the car. The latter was for me the reason to go look for a one lightweight but tall cab solution. I ended up looking just at vertically stacked 2x12" 4ohm cabs.

Over the years I have been playing through various combinations of cabinets. TE 4x10 and 2x15 cabs, SWR 4x10, 2x10, 1x18 and 1x15 cabs, Eden 2x12 and several others. Of these the TE 2x15 was the easiest to lug around as it had casters and handles which allowed me to roll it around and tilt it into the car/onto stage rather then lifting it. Because our rehearsal room was sold by its owner I now have to store my cab at my attic though, so a 55kg 2x15 is not gonna work for me any longer.

Right then. I was going to spend quite some money as I wanted a really good cabinet to complement my Mesa bass prodigy lightweight (13kg) tube amp and I ended up choosing between these three:[list]
[*]VanderKley 212MNT
[*]Barefaced Big Twin II gen 3
[*]Bergantino HDN 212
[/list]
It was hard choosing one. Bergantino and Barefaced cabs aren't for sale anywhere around here (in the Netherlands) and I had read awesome reviews/experiences about all three cabs. In the end I went for the Barefaced and am very happy with that. It has low colouration of my tone, the high frequency unit never sounds harsh and the low end is really tight. I guess I would be equally happy with either the Berg or the VanderKley though. The 2x12 has casters at the bottom of the back side and a handle on top + at the sides so it is very easy to lug around.

So my advice: Look at good vertical 2x12 cabs for max comfort.

Edited by DiMarco

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1459850388' post='3020162']
[/quote][quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1459850719' post='3020166']
[/quote]

I similarly have no interest in clothes or cars as status indicators... my choices are made purely on functional considerations. Same with bass cabs, though I have no issue with the appearance of BF cabs. Of course the result of choosing clothes in particular for practical reasons can lead to 'fashion malfunction' and cause one's partner to say one looks like a bag of crap tied up with a piece of string, but I don't care...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1459853666' post='3020201']

Jeigenbass, like you I have been on this quest for portable cabs, preferably one cab that can "do it all".
You see, combining two cabs and then planning to only use one of those two for small gigs means your amp will be working at 8 ohms, which in my opinion is meh.

[/quote]

Works for me now I have a bigger amp. 500w into 8 ohms sounds pretty much like 500w into 4 ohms IME.

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1459849655' post='3020153']

I've not ruled out trying one but I don't really like the looks of them. This isn't a dig, we all have different aesthetic qualities we look for, personally:
- I'm not keen on the stuff they use to cover the non-"retro" cabs (ie all the 12's)
- I don't like the sharp-ish looking edges of the front porting (or indeed the visibility of the porting)
- I've not seen the new ones but I didn't like the way the panel at the back for inserting the speaker leads sat non-flush/inset (it just looked a little cheap)
- I prefer inset handles (though I know nearly every manufacturer is doing the same as BF, I wish they'd all stop it)

I know none of that is really important or even has any bearing on the build quality but they add to the feeling for me like the cabs don't look like a premium product (the retro 210's are a vast step in in terms of quality looks, though I'm not keen on the metal grill). I completely get that people don't like the faux-retro styling of brands like Aguillar/TKS (with v-frame) - each to our own I guess.

Again that wasn't a dig at Barefaced, I don't want to get drawn into to the war of the fanboi's - but if you ask what people don't like the looks of (talking only about the looks) that's what I would say. I would still try one if one was offered or I was down in Brighton & this is no comment on the way they sound (I've only heard two at gigs & neither band were of my "style" so it's hard to compare the bass tones).
[/quote]
Cool, thanks for that. Are they all covered in the same stuff as my BT2? Must admit there's a few points in your post which were a change from the norm for me. All my previous cabs had inset handles, this is the first I've had with these type of handles, and my last few cabs had carpet type covering (ashdown mag 810 and various Warwick WCA's), but the covering has actually surprised me, it's pretty hard wearing and easy to keep clean. The metal grille was never going to be an issue for me, I don't like the silver cloth so it had to be grille! Interesting to hear your points though, thanks. Perhaps it's like having an ugly child, as a parent you can't see it or can but just won't ever admit it! 😄

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1459853217' post='3020197']
I don't remember any fuss being made when Trace came out with their black painted boxes. Those things looked pretty second-hand with in 5 mins of loading them into the van. Also no fuss over the tuff coated Peavey cabs in the 80's.

I seem to recall that the sound of a cab was the important thing back then.
[/quote]

The first thing many people did with those old Peavey cabs was take the logo plate off the cab though.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1459800634' post='3019856']
So your own personal experience of them is from the older generation stuff, not the Gen 3 gear which IMO is a significant step up? (Asking for clarity not an argument - it appears that way from your statement but I may be reading incorrectly!)
[/quote]

I'm not sure, tbh. Late 2014, silver front, shelved porting on the side of the cab.
Not sure of the other.

Sorry, I've decided to delete this post (I know it's been seen already though). I thought about it and don't think it added anything to the original topic.
Let's just say I don't think BF is for me after all, and living proof that not everyone who buys one keeps it.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459964001' post='3021363']

I'm not sure, tbh. Late 2014, silver front, shelved porting on the side of the cab.
Not sure of the other.
[/quote]

Could be either based on that but if they both had 15s they are older - the Gen 3 is all 12s and 10s :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1459966187' post='3021385']
Sorry, I've decided to delete this post (I know it's been seen already though). I thought about it and don't think it added anything to the original topic.
Let's just say I don't think BF is for me after all, and living proof that not everyone who buys one keeps it.
[/quote]

I read your post before you changed it and thought it was well balanced and informative. There was nothing in there you needed to retract. Of course, it's entirely up to you.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1459966187' post='3021385']
[/quote]

Given you've tried at least two differently voiced cabs at gigs and rehearsals you have come to a fair and rounded conclusion and you cannot argue with that in the slightest :)

There are guys (& girls) on Basschat that will tell you whichever cab is best. In my opinion you have to test these yourself or at least take an established guess.

I've owned several cabs over the years & like many others would have been more than happy with most of them if it hadn't been for Basschat & reading a lot of the amp/cab forums.

I used to own a Compact G2. Very lightweight, tone was good, not any better than some other cabs I owned but then they were slightly bigger or heavier. I felt the sound passed my legs in a lot of the gigs I do as I have to stand so close to my rig. Rest of the band actually thought I'd made it myself! So I got rid & tried something I thought would fit better with my needs.

Also did a shootout with some BF, TKS & Vanderkley cabs recently and I preferred the VK tone. Owner of the TKS preferred their tone and the BF we both liked but it was the biggest of the setups and shifted more air but it wasn't number 1 for either of us.

I guess what I'm saying is try as much as you can or buy used if you can, expect to go through the same journey as a lot of us have and enjoy the experience!

Im looking at replacing my BB2 with a Vanderkley 1x15 (maybe, its first on the list).

Ive never found any cab or rig to sound bad at low levels, even turned up in a shop. For me the only test worth doing is with a band. Once the drummer starts i then gauge how well things are working.
So yes, recommendations are good but you cant beat a real test to see how things work. I find a lot of recommendations are also based on low level playing, or with PA support. Not always helpful to those needing a cab to do it all, although better than nothing.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1460016584' post='3021721']
Im looking at replacing my BB2 with a Vanderkley 1x15 (maybe, its first on the list).

Ive never found any cab or rig to sound bad at low levels, even turned up in a shop. For me the only test worth doing is with a band. Once the drummer starts i then gauge how well things are working.
So yes, recommendations are good but you cant beat a real test to see how things work. I find a lot of recommendations are also based on low level playing, or with PA support. Not always helpful to those needing a cab to do it all, although better than nothing.
[/quote]

Yup. I'm very wary about anything - cab, amp or bass - until it's been gigged a few times.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1460017739' post='3021733']
Yup. I'm very wary about anything - cab, amp or bass - until it's been gigged a few times.
[/quote]

+1 It's really the only way to make a decision about gear. Unless of course you're not in a band, never do gigs nor have any intention of doing them. In which case buying a decent gigging rig is tantamount to buying an expensive car and keeping it in the garage...

Edited by discreet