Why become a member? ×

It's new cab time. Needs to be light!

jeigenbass

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1460020028' post='3021763']
Unless you record a lot - we all have our preference for how to record the bass but I do like a mic in front of a nice sounding cab on occasion.
[/quote]

That is very true. And of course if one wants to buy a decent gigging rig to play at home then so be it. I wouldn't, it seems like unnecessary overkill to me, but of course that is just my opinion. :)

Edited by discreet

Fair point, I can't afford both; my amp is my gigging amp, recording amp, practice amp & drinks rest all rolled into one - good thing it's not an Ampeg 8x10 as that would way too high for resting my drink on while I'm watching the TV!

IME, the cab is the messenger so it often gets shot first. It's easy to put the less "coloured" cabs in the frame when the amp, bass or technique might be at the heart of an "issue".

Getting your "sound" is not always as straightforward as it used to be. I'd suggest that modern cabs are the strongest link in the chain and if you're used to "old school" cabs then it'll take a lot more readjustment than you'd expect to adapt to hearing your "sound" rather than the sound of the cab.

This is true, but id suggest that some cabs do what they do better, or in a more pleasing way than others, even the the less coloured cabs. Ive found over the years that it is indeed the cab that can make the biggest difference to the final tone.

Edited to say, rather than make the biggest difference, maybe its more stopping achieving the tone you have in your head.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1460024453' post='3021843']
...the cab is the messenger so it often gets shot first. It's easy to put the less "coloured" cabs in the frame when the amp, bass or technique might be at the heart of an "issue".
[/quote]

+1. I discovered recently that something as simple as a change of strings can make a radical and almost unbelievable difference.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459778826' post='3019495']
Interesting thread though, don't you think, where a few qualified speaker guys take Alex to task for making exaggerated claims about his products? Claims which, interestingly, you consistently repeat, Mr Discreet, at the drop of a hat.
[/quote]

But they say his cabs sound very good, it's a quibble about tech specs for the driver.

I think I've only knowingly heard one BF cab and I thought it sounded horrible, but that was because the bassist had it EQed to sound completely unlike my taste. I will one day try to A-B compare one with a cab I know.

A friend of mine owns a BF cab, incidentally, a gen 2 2x12 IIRC. He's very happy with it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1460017739' post='3021733']
Yup. I'm very wary about anything - cab, amp or bass - until it's been gigged a few times.
[/quote]

Ideally, but my latest cabs were bought when given them the beans in the shop. From then on, I knew they'd work as the core tone was there.
Rehearsals and gigs has further enhanced that..

To be honest, wasn't surprised.

Edited by JTUK

I found a you tube video which did seem to back up some of the BF claims. It tested three cabs by three different OEMs and used a bit of kit to show frequency roll off etc. The BF not only went deeper but also I recall gave a louder signal for a given tone. It was an independent test but I cannot find it again. It was only a couple of weeks ago. I am not saying the test was proof and concrete but certainly would fit into this discussion.

It was 3 x 112 cabs if I recall correctly. I will keep looking as, to me, it was interesting at least.

[quote name='vbance' timestamp='1460053720' post='3022203']
bobthedog, would this be the vid?

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LZPx_CQ7hI"]https://www.youtube....h?v=8LZPx_CQ7hI[/url]
[/quote]

Yup, that is the one. Obviously not as independent as I thought on the basis he is a BF endorsed artist. I am still happy with my BF Big Twin II on order, however.

Edited by Bobthedog

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1460063018' post='3022347']

Yup, that is the one. Obviously not as independent as I thought on the basis he is a BF endorsed artist. I am still happy with my BF Big Twin II on order, however.
[/quote]He is clearly not independent but apart from two things, his tests are valid.

Firstly SM57 is far from ideal as s measurement mic.

Secondly we have to take his word that all settings are the same.

However he is trying to do things properly.

A strange choice of cabs to compare. Discontinued apples vs fresh oranges maybe?
I'd have liked to see the comparison against any of BF's current competitors like Berg, Vanderkley, Fearless, TKS and Genzler etc. if specs are to be compared.
This choice seems engineered to reach a particular conclusion.

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1460109315' post='3022616']
A strange choice of cabs to compare. Discontinued apples vs fresh oranges maybe?
I'd have liked to see the comparison against any of BF's current competitors like Berg, Vanderkley, Fearless, TKS and Genzler etc. if specs are to be compared.
This choice seems engineered to reach a particular conclusion.
[/quote]Or maybe they were just what was to hand,

I think it's pretty meaningless to make any kind of attempt to judge audio equipment on YouTube, regardless of the specs - which can be made to show almost anything - and the business of listening to sound on YouTube is subject to so many different parameters (not least the quality of your monitoring equipment) that you'd be mad to make a buying choice based on it. Would you listen to a YouTube demo on laptop speakers then go and spend the best part of £1000 on a cab? I wouldn't.

The only way to properly judge a cab (or any other gear) is to ignore what anyone says about it on the internet and audition it in the situation that it is going to be used. Playing and practising at home, recording, gigging. Joining in any discussion about gear if you haven't used and heard said gear yourself, in a real-world situation, is fruitless speculation at best.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1460110342' post='3022633']...Joining in any discussion about gear if you haven't used and heard said gear yourself, in a real-world situation, is fruitless speculation at best.
[/quote]

Some people don't like fruit. :mellow: