Why become a member? ×

It's new cab time. Needs to be light!

jeigenbass

[quote name='jeigenbass' timestamp='1459633098' post='3018300']
Thanks for the replies! It seems BF is the crowd favourite. Might go for the Supertwin / 2 Super compacts and throw the Rumble 4x10 under it for the bigger stuff.
[/quote]

Super Twin is an excellent cab. Two Super Compacts are nearly always unnecessary and you'll more likely only need one. You have to stop thinking in terms of a 4X10 - they are to all intents and purposes, redundant. I can't think of any live situation where (with an appropriate amp) you'd ever need any more than a single Super Twin.

Welcome to the forum. :)

[quote name='jeigenbass' timestamp='1459633098' post='3018300']tend
Thanks for the replies! It seems BF is the crowd favourite. Might go for the Supertwin / 2 Super compacts and throw the Rumble 4x10 under it for the bigger stuff.
[/quote]

I don't think this is true for the forum as a whole, but these threads about certain cabs tend to be very polar... and many people who have an opposite opinion about BF don't bother. You could always use the search facility but the BF fans tend to post many drooling threads very often so the more 'balanced' or pros/cons posts could get swamped.

The problem is that everyone needs something different from a cab and whilst in the early days BF were great HiFi cabs, the new additions with the 10s mean they can do the lot.

TKS also get a lot of love as do many of the Boutique US makers.

The main thing about Barefaced is that they put their money where their mouth ( or is that port ) is with their sale or return policy.

Edited by Chienmortbb

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459681040' post='3018545']
...many people who have an opposite opinion about BF don't bother.
[/quote]

I don't think there are that 'many' people who have an opposite opinion. And those few that do inevitably haven't used a Barefaced cab in anger and have some kind of weird anti-Barefaced agenda that remains a mystery to me. Is it jealousy? Well done for bothering, though. :)

[quote name='Chienmortbb' timestamp='1459686593' post='3018602']
The main thing about Barefaced is that they put their money where their mouth is with their sale or return policy.
[/quote]

They also do the maths, build superbly-braced and damped lightweight cabs and install drivers that have been designed by themselves and manufactured by Eminence which consistently out-perform the competition.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459689464' post='3018624']
I don't think there are that 'many' people who have an opposite opinion. And those few that do inevitably haven't used a Barefaced cab in anger and have some kind of weird anti-Barefaced agenda that remains a mystery to me. Is it jealousy? Well done for bothering, though. :)

They also do the maths, build superbly-braced and damped lightweight cabs and install drivers that have been designed by themselves and manufactured by Eminence which consistently out-perform the competition.
[/quote]

I generally don't of late... but since you asked so nicely. I'm pretty sure (certain) I know more people who don't regard them but don't post here than the other way round.

I also know of more sellers than keepers so they didn't keep them for a reason.

But all people have to do is used the search facility and they'll be able to find plenty of historic arguments.
In those threads you'll find people who love them, and people who don't.
If any one has a strong opnion either way, I assume they've done their homework...

I see it on an audio forum I help run. For some reason a minority of we Brits do not like success.

I gigged very happily with a Genz Benz * rig for 2 or 3 years. BassDirect suggested that Bergantino cabs were even better but it was what I could afford. They now rate Vanderkley very highly. I have no doubt that they are all really good. It is down to how you achieve your sound - speakers coloured or not? Weight - are you bothered (sadly, I have to be). Size - van, estate or hatchback? If looks matter I like the Vanderkleys.

* the new Genzler cabs look to have moved forward from where GB left off.

Edited by DBerriff

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1459690052' post='3018628']
I also know of more sellers than keepers so they didn't keep them for a reason.
[/quote]

You see, this is exactly the kind of thing that makes you so predictable JT. Please show us the statistics upon which you make this statement. Does Alex send you his monthly sales returns so you can compare those with the cabs that are on sale here? Do you keep detailed notes of people selling on G1 and G2 to upgrade to G3? Because, otherwise, this is just another one of your baseless, prejudiced - and as such worthless - remarks.

Edited by Paul S

There are so many top cabs to choose from, you pays your money's and takes your pick. I'll throw in my vote for TKS as I normally do. But, honestly, if you can't try them; use the search facility to try form your own conclusions and make your decision. There are probably 10 or so companies making top quality lightweight cabs that are all different flavours. of great. It's down to price/look and which flavour of great you're after.

FWIW I chose TKS over the competition because, they weigh 10kg per ceramic 1x12, were cheaper than the alternatives (though that wasn't the clincher), the support and customer service i had received was great, the build quality is impeccable, I could customise the aesthetics, they are physically compact little cabs, have a very tight bass response, lovely articulate midrange and just sounded like solid, proper bass cabs. They work perfectly in my functions band and I've had no desire to change them yet.

Edited by M@23

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1459692115' post='3018649']
You see, this is exactly the kind of thing that makes you so predictable JT. Please show us the statistics upon which you make this statement. Does Alex send you his monthly sales returns so you can compare those with the cabs that are on sale here? Do you keep detailed notes of people selling on G1 and G2 to upgrade to G3? Because, otherwise, this is just another one of your baseless, prejudiced - and as such worthless - remarks.
[/quote]

5... 3 have sold them and 2 are still gigging them this year.

As it happens the 2 guys still using them... well, they used to run TE... and they haven't got a better sound with the 'trade-up'.
But to be fair, they weren't known for their sound anyway.

Edited by JTUK

Yes, here we go again. I was hoping to actually pin down some facts here but we still have smoke screen and slight of hand :)

JT - I have no trouble understanding plain English. If you read through your post you didn't say 'guys I know' which presumably limits it to that rarified bubble you seem to inhabit, but 'I know of' which is something different. I would say 'I know of' if I had read it on here. But I guess all the satisfied Barefaced cab owners on Basschat don't fit your model, so you ignore them.

My bottom line is that I still don't know why you have this jihad against Barefaced. You are not contractually obliged to keep it up, you know. Just accept that some people like them.

All the bods, Vanderkley, Bergantino, Genzler, Barefaced, TKS and there's probably one I've missed, will all have a 2x12 black box (in some cases in other pretty colours) that will satisfy the OPs needs in terms of volume and weight.

Which one anyone chooses is entirely a matter of personal taste, tone is an individual thing. How someone sounds is up to them, there's no right or wrong.

Here's another Barefaced comment.

I bought a pair of Baby 3's last year to replace a couple of very heavy GK Neo cabs I had spent a couple of years gigging with. I have used them as a pair and on their own and to be honest I reckon one would probably do for most gigs. I was playing in a pub last night and used a single cab, I was running my GK MB800 at around half volume and was easily keeping up with the rest of the band, the amount of volume and clean bass they produce still amazes me. I then packed up and carried the cab out to the car in one hand, lighter than the PA speakers we use.

I know people are a bit divided over Barefaced cabs, but I can say that after a year of using them I wish I had bought them years ago. You can always try them and send them back if not satisfied.