Why become a member? ×

It's new cab time. Needs to be light!

jeigenbass

What is it about the look that people seem to dislike so much about the BF's? I'm genuinely interested. For me, once it's on stage, crammed into a backline, under stage lighting, it looks pretty much like any other black box, vertical 2x12. As for build quality, I have no experience of the Gen 1 and 2 cabs but my Gen 3 Big Twin 2 is still in as new condition. I've owned it since they were first released and it's been gigged/rehearsed, humped in and out of various cars and vans and has no battle scars as yet, apart from a scrape on the bottom rear edge which was down to me tripping up and scraping it on a sharp edged stone step. The handles and castors are still perfect. I've used it with TC RH450, RH750, GB Shuttle 9.2, ABM500, Aguilar TH500 and at a few shared backline gigs have heard others run Trace AH, Ampeg SVT 7 and GK 1001 through it, and it's always sounded great to my ears. The others that have ran through it have always complimented it too. If it was illuminous pink with wings I could maybe understand the looks thing, but I don't see how people can find a black box so offensive! As has been said though, it's a great time to be a bass player with some awesome lightweight kit on the market, so there's something to keep everyone happy....maybe!

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1459761292' post='3019192']
What is it about the look that people seem to dislike so much about the BF's? I'm genuinely interested. For me, once it's on stage, crammed into a backline, under stage lighting, it looks pretty much like any other black box...
[/quote]

Quite, but once someone has decided to take a dislike to something (for whatever arcane reason) they will say anything negative they can think of. After all, if you've never used a Barefaced cab in anger (and I'm pretty sure that most of the detractors have not) what else is there to say?

The other reason could be that people genuinely just don't like the look of them and won't buy one because of that. But there are more than a few on this forum who listen with their eyes and won't consider one of the best bass cabs currently available because 'they don't look right'. Having said that, I'd be reluctant to play a bass I didn't like the look of even if it were perfect in every other way, so maybe there's something in it. But then a bass cab isn't a bass - as you say it's a black, rectangular box! What's not to like?? :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1459761292' post='3019192']
What is it about the look that people seem to dislike so much about the BF's?
[/quote]

Don't believe that the word "people" represents a big number. The percentage of people who have heard BF cabs and still dislike them is very small.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459762104' post='3019204']
Quite, but once someone has decided to take a dislike to something (for whatever arcane reason) they will say anything negative they can think of. After all, if you've never used a Barefaced cab in anger (and I'm pretty sure that most of the detractors have not) what else is there to say?

The other reason could be that people genuinely just don't like the look of them and won't buy one because of that. But there are more than a few on this forum who listen with their eyes and won't consider one of the best bass cabs currently available because 'they don't look right'. Having said that, I'd be reluctant to play a bass I didn't like the look of even if it were perfect in every other way, so maybe there's something in it. But then a bass cab isn't a bass - as you say it's a black, rectangular box! What's not to like?? :)
[/quote]Just to continue the silliness, its a cuboid actually :gas:

[quote name='Opticaleye' timestamp='1459774143' post='3019421']
I am sure the BF cabs sound good. Personally I was put off when I read the spat on the "Smallest 2x12 cabinet" thread on TB.
[/quote]

Good Lord, you certainly don't want to believe anything you read over there! :biggrin:

The little rig below (crap photo alert) is pretty much happiness for me. This week :blush:. Loud? Pardon :mellow: . Heft? I believe so. :ph34r:
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/WP_20160402_21_28_18_Pro_zpspkdfrvqe.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/WP_20160402_21_28_18_Pro_zpspkdfrvqe.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459775479' post='3019444']
Good Lord, you certainly don't want to believe anything you read over there! :biggrin:
[/quote]

Interesting thread though, don't you think, where a few qualified speaker guys take Alex to task for making exaggerated claims about his products? Claims which, interestingly, you consistently repeat, Mr Discreet, at the drop of a hat.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459778826' post='3019495']

Interesting thread though, don't you think, where a few qualified speaker guys take Alex to task for making exaggerated claims about his products?
[/quote]
I don't mean to be lazy, but could you drop or PM me a link to it please, I don't seem to be able to find it.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459778826' post='3019495']
Interesting thread though, don't you think, where a few qualified speaker guys take Alex to task for making exaggerated claims about his products? Claims which, interestingly, you consistently repeat, Mr Discreet, at the drop of a hat.
[/quote]

The only US 'speaker guy' I have any time for is Bill Fitzmaurice, who tells it like it is. And I don't believe Alex makes [i]any [/i]exaggerated claims about his products. Have you ever tried a Barefaced cab? Have you done a gig with one? Are YOU a qualified 'speaker guy'?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459779255' post='3019507']
The only US 'speaker guy' I have any time for is Bill Fitzmaurice, who tells it like it is. And I don't believe Alex makes [i]any [/i]exaggerated claims about his products. Have you ever tried a Barefaced cab? Have you done a gig with one? Are YOU a qualified 'speaker guy'?
[/quote]

Are you familiar with the expression "ad hominem", Mr Discreet? Here is a link for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459779168' post='3019503']
It starts here, but the meaty stuff is in the middle. https://www.talkbass.com/threads/smallest-2x12-cabinet.1183150/.
[/quote]
The main discussion revolves around the perennial problem of specifying speaker parameters. All the designers are respectful of each other's competence, but perhaps not the marketing hype.

You may not be looking for an argument, ern500, but there are plenty of others ready to pounce on anyone who says they are not keen. As we have already seen on this thread. There are plenty of things I like about Barefaced, and Alex comes across as a really nice and very capable guy. What I'm not so keen on, however, is the hype.

There is also a small but very vocal faction on this forum who like to heap unquestioning praise on the Barefaced product (very often quoting from the web site) yet are unable to accept the slightest criticism without becoming extremely aggressive. Look at Discreet's aggressive post further up the page, or on page 2, where Paul S. accuses JT of undertaking a *jihad* on Barefaced. I'm not keen on that either, as I don't think it's in the spirit of Basschat.

Edited by stevie

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459779168' post='3019503']
It starts here, but the meaty stuff is in the middle. [url="https://www.talkbass.com/threads/smallest-2x12-cabinet.1183150/."]https://www.talkbass...binet.1183150/.[/url]
[/quote]

There are some interesting points in that thread, particularly concerning the Vd and frequency response measurements, and it seems healthy to hold manufacturers claims up to scrutiny and poke them for clarification where necessary. I can recall a couple of entertaining threads on here that have done this too (LawrenceH's posts were always worth a read on this sort of thing).
But I'm a bit perplexed by the degree of polarisation on Basschat, where there is an almost evangelical zeal from just a few people in both the pro and anti camps. What's going on there?
My take-away from that thread is that perhaps they don't eclipse other high-excursion, high end cabs by such a huge margin as some of their more enthusiastic users seem to imply, but they should certainly hold their own in that part of the market. If one 1x12" cab claims 496cc displacement and another claims 550cc I'm not going to lose any sleep over the difference - they'll both shift a lot of air for a 1x12" and the choice will come down to tone, portability, cosmetics etc. I did think McNach's Big Baby II was a good sounding and well thought-out cab when I've heard it at gigs, though I'd still check out some other cabs if I was in the market for one.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1459779730' post='3019511']
Are you familiar with the expression "ad hominem", Mr Discreet? Here is a link for you: [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem"]https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Ad_hominem[/url]
[/quote]

I don't need the link, thanks very much. How is asking you if you're a qualified speaker guy a personal attack? I think it's a fair question which I ask again; are you a qualified speaker guy? Also, I would say that every single manufacturer of anything at all make claims about their products - it's called marketing. Why would Barefaced be the only company in the history of commerce that don't market their products? Why do you single out this company for criticism over any other cab manufacturer?

I don't make any claims about Barefaced cabs other than those formed from personal experience of using them at home, at rehearsal and at gigs. If I like a bass-related product I'll come on here and share my views and opinions. If you've used a Barefaced cab and didn't like it, then that's fair enough. Have you gigged a Barefaced cab? If so, I'm assuming you didn't like it?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459689464' post='3018624']

They also do the maths, build superbly-braced and damped lightweight cabs and[b][i] install drivers that have been designed by themselves and manufactured by Eminence which consistently out-perform the competition.[/i][/b]
[/quote]

I think the contention in the thread concerned was to do with this (seemingly overblown) claim.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1459782781' post='3019564']
I don't need the link, thanks very much. How is asking you if you're a qualified speaker guy a personal attack?
[/quote]

There was nothing in my post to justify a discussion of my qualifications or lack of them. It was a classic ad hominem manoeuvre.

I suppose some of their claims do come across as a little overblown, like "compare one of our 12"s to two of [i]anyone else's[/i] 12s". Comparing the output to a pair of typical 12s like Eminence Betas or Deltalites, Faital 12PR300s etc doesn't seem outrageous, but even their own stated specs don't suggest that one of their 12"s would compare to two Kappalites or other high-excursion drivers. That's more a criticism of their copy writing than of the product, but perhaps they should tone it down a little...