Why become a member? ×

How The Beatles still grip Liverpool ...

EssentialTension

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1455527871' post='2979762']
Hailing originally from that part of the world, I've had the impression that the Beatles driven tourism has been growing over the last decade or so. As the years pass, the myth increases and so do the Beatles tourists. Economics of the region being what they are, it makes sense to cater for this growth industry, thereby tempting more tourists in reciprocating growth... eventually creating a urban theme park, multinational ownership the renaming of the city as Beatlesworld.
[/quote]
Windsor could become Queenland South, and Balmoral could be Queenland North.

And Abbey Road could be Beatle Street and Liverpool Airport could be renamed John Lennon Airport ... er, just a minute.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1455525680' post='2979723']
Yes, I found the article interesting. Most tourist-focussed cities have a broader range of reasons for people to visit, so it puts Liverpool in a fairly unique situation. There must be other notable things about the history and culture of the city, but the Beatles are the first thing we all think of.
[/quote]

Surely some of the history and culture of the city (much of which ET has now listed) is what allowed the Beatles to thrive - the docks, the immigration, the strong sense of identity? So by celebrating the Beatles the city is also celebrating its greater history and culture.

yeah for sure Liverpool has more to offer than the Beatles, and when I went I did other stuff but I'd have never gone in the first place without the draw of the Beatles, but, then again I'm of that generation, I believe there's an American guy who comments on here who is of a similar age :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455527205' post='2979751']
True enough, but there are loads of other places of broader interest: for example ...

Two cathedrals

Albert dock

Lots of galleries and museums e.g. the Walker, the Tate, the Lady Lever Gallery, etc. etc., the International Slavery Museum, the Port Sunlight Museum, etc. etc.

Two top football grounds

A ferry across the Mersey

Radio City tower

... and many more.
[/quote]

Ken Dodd

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1455528896' post='2979781']
Surely some of the history and culture of the city (much of which ET has now listed) is what allowed the Beatles to thrive - the docks, the immigration, the strong sense of identity? So by celebrating the Beatles the city is also celebrating its greater history and culture.
[/quote]

I think that's correct. For example, being a port city connected through trade to North America (and elsewhere) is a factor in the development of Liverpool's popular music through the availability of imported vinyl.

But also, Liverpool had a long history in popular entertainment long before The Beatles.

Being from the horror that is Widnes I used to pop into Liverpool all the time to buy my CDs and look at musical instruments. I've not been there for a good 15 years but there's always been a massive presence of the Beatles in that town.

Believe me, give Liverpool something that it can use to fleece tourists with and it'll snap your hand off.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455530916' post='2979815']
I think that's correct. For example, being a port city connected through trade to North America (and elsewhere) is a factor in the development of Liverpool's popular music through the availability of imported vinyl.
[/quote]

Even the accent is because of that port. A hybrid of northern English and Irish.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1455530308' post='2979805']
Did you know that Ken Dodd's dad's dog's dead?
[/quote]

One of the great band names.

About 10 years ago I played at the Cavern (the new one and the new stage). The whole place has now been faithfully rebuilt 20 yards to the right. It's a tourist trap these days but I got a very strange feeling standing there, where much of my world for the last 50 years started.

All I can say is that like 'em of hate 'em, if you think the Beatles were "just another band", as someone said in a past topic, you have no understanding of popular music and cultural history of the UK in the last 50 years. The Beatles really did change everything.

We have a couple of students from Gernany at work, over on an exchange scheme.
They have little money and not much free time but they tell me one of the 'must visit' sites for them is Liverpool and specifically the Beatles sites.
They are both 22 years old. As far as they are concerned it's one of the top things to see and celebrate in Britain.

It's the 'wisdom of hindsight' thing, they changed music dramatically, but something really needed to, and each generation takes stuff and makes it their own. I'm just glad that I lived through those times (and everything that went with them)
and can now afford the luxury of looking back wearing (slightly) rose-tinted glasses sometimes.

:gas:

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1455550012' post='2980088']
I'm sure there will always be a place fire the nostalgia but will there be as much interest in ten,twenty or thirty years time? I know there is always "my son loves the Beatles " blah blah but generally the next generation aren't that bothered are they?
[/quote]I would imagine that has been said for the last 20 years or more.

I used to drive down Abbey Road fairly regularly, there were always tourists hanging around by the crossing trying to recreate the famous album cover. Cars slow down or stop to let people cross but 99% of them have no intention of crossing so wave the drivers on to pass through. Other cars that are used to it don't even bother to slow down and just assume nobody wants to cross - an accident waiting to happen!

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1455550012' post='2980088']
I'm sure there will always be a place fire the nostalgia but will there be as much interest in ten,twenty or thirty years time? I know there is always "my son loves the Beatles " blah blah but generally the next generation aren't that bothered are they?
[/quote]

I don't know, I live near Statford upon Avon & they still seem to be doing pretty well out of Shakespeare. He didn't even live there that long, apart from his childhood and about three years before he died. His most productive years were spent in London.

At least the Beatles' time in Liverpool has a genuine connection to their work.