Why become a member? ×

Quiting part two well playing gigs

kevvo66

Don't get me wrong I like playing bass well most of the time but get no pleasure in gigging anymore pub gigs I know people are there too be entertained but I don't really like people and I am getting more anxious around them and I'm fed up of my guitarist saying down his mic give everyone a big smile and I feel bullied into pretending to enjoy myself when I'm not . I am gigging tomorrow night am looking forward to it err not really and don't really like playing the same old generic cover songs quit a big local festival coming in Easter but don't think I'll bother and tell them tomorrow night I'm putting my cabs away and calling it a day and taking up knitting or something , grumble over and thanks everyone for your time .met some great people from this forum and I've had some good laughs and done deals in some funny places lol and keep your eyes open in the for sale forum as I'll just keep a combo for noodling in the house 🎸

Edited by kevvo66

That's a shame, but if you're not enjoying it there's no point in doing it. I was in a function band doing Stax and Motown covers for a year or two and all the false bonhomie and audience-participation crap finally got to me and I quit. Missed the money, though.

Have you thought about doing something that's not pub gigs and not covers? It sounds like it's not bass playing per se that's your problem. And you don't need to leave the forum. There are loads of bass players on here who don't gig. In fact there are quite a few people on here who aren't even bloody bass players, for Christ's sake. :D

Edited by discreet

I'd agree with what discreet - it sounds like you've had enough of your current band and gigging scene.

Take a break, take up the knitting, get out into that lovely cheshire countryside and do some stargazing, don't flog anything unless you need the dosh.

And don't quit the fourm...when was the last time I posted something bass-related ?

:)

If it's time to give up, it's time to give up. In 2013 I realised I was feeling the same way. Chucked in the session I'd played at for 17 years and jazz band I was in for 13. Wasn't a popular move but what's the point in being in something you aren't enjoying any more. You won't be able to give any energy to it. Two and a bit years on from that I'm enjoying my music more than I have for years. Other interests have come back too with a new energy.

My point is give yourself some time to 'wander' and just see where life takes you. What wants to come back will and you'll enjoy it even more.

Oh, and don't sell your gear.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1455312506' post='2978190']
I'd agree with what discreet - it sounds like you've had enough of your current band and gigging scene.

Take a break, take up the knitting, get out into that lovely cheshire countryside and do some stargazing, don't flog anything unless you need the dosh.
[/quote]

This ^^^

Plus... when you've had a break, have a jam with some mates, maybe put a few tunes together yourselves?... Gigging is just a part of music, not the whole thing.... well not for some of us anyway. You'll make your decision in good time. :-)

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1455320867' post='2978250']
Thanks everyone it's always appreciated .and I couldn't leave we are like one big family and I like it here also , I'll just come on and write threads on stargazing and other stuff
[/quote]

Yay ! That's the spirit :)

Take a break, but don`t sell all your gear. You may find a renewed interest in music a few years down the line, and having to then re-buy is a pain - I`ve been there. Just sounds to me like your interest for your current band has gone. Once you start to resent gigging it really gets to you, so leaving is def best for both you and the band.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1455309560' post='2978153']
Don't get me wrong I like playing bass well most of the time but get no pleasure in gigging anymore pub gigs I know people are there too be entertained but I don't really like people and I am getting more anxious around them and I'm fed up of my guitarist saying down his mic give everyone a big smile and I feel bullied into pretending to enjoy myself when I'm not . I am gigging tomorrow night am looking forward to it err not really and don't really like playing the same old generic cover songs quit a big local festival coming in Easter but don't think I'll bother and tell them tomorrow night I'm putting my cabs away and calling it a day and taking up knitting or something , grumble over and thanks everyone for your time .met some great people from this forum and I've had some good laughs and done deals in some funny places lol and keep your eyes open in the for sale forum as I'll just keep a combo for noodling in the house 🎸
[/quote]are you my twin brother mate, I could've wrote this.

No need to gig to pursue an interest in music. I prefer writing, recording and producing but we also gig, though only about 10 times a year so it keeps our hand in while not being too onerous. I don't feel the urge to 'perform' (probably why I'm happy to stand at the back playing bass ;) ) and it's the creativity that does it for me. The thought of playing covers to a drunken mob week in week out doesn't interest me at all - it seems like the equivalent of repetitive factory work to me. That's the beauty of music - it can be experienced in so many ways that there's almost bound to be an angle for everyone.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455366148' post='2978440']
No need to gig to pursue an interest in music. I prefer writing, recording and producing but we also gig, though only about 10 times a year so it keeps our hand in while not being too onerous. I don't feel the urge to 'perform' (probably why I'm happy to stand at the back playing bass ;) ) and it's the creativity that does it for me. The thought of playing covers to a drunken mob week in week out doesn't interest me at all - it seems like the equivalent of repetitive factory work to me. That's the beauty of music - it can be experienced in so many ways that there's almost bound to be an angle for everyone.
[/quote]

Well said, squire! :D

I haven't been in a band for a few years now but still love playing along to other tracks or a drum machine or even just solo (mainly through a headphone amp since the nipper arrived!). I keep thinking I'd like to get into it again but know I'd just get fed up of the commitment after a while!

The guitarist saying that down the mic would really bug me !

I have aspergers, and find the people thing awkward. The Jazz bands I play for seem to accept me being who i am, they'd never put me under pressure like yours has,

I also hate playing music that doesn't interest me, which is 99% of what most covers bands play, so I don't play it.

I wouldn't sell my gear if I was you. Play at home for a bit, maybe play original music ?

Edited by ambient

Sounds like it just might be the band and the music they are playing that is getting you down, you can always start your own band and play what you like... :thank_you:
Nothing better than 2 sets of headphones on with 1 set playing your favourite tunes and the other set for your bass playing along, get's me in the zone and happy with your own tunes.
Your advice on here is appreciated by everyone including me so you still have your bass family.
Mind I'm looking for a good cab... :ph34r: :yarr:
Do what makes you happy.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1455366148' post='2978440']
[/quote]

I always hear this stuff about not wanting to play to drunken crowd or mob.Is it a cultural thing? I've been playing bars every weekend for years and never run into that problem.

IMO it's an excuse for those that don't want to put in the work it takes to gig.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1455367850' post='2978466']
I found that gigging was stopping me enjoying music. I quit last November and have enjoyed music more as a result. I now have more space to be creative, allowing me to write and record stuff.
[/quote]

I can see why some of you chose this stay home option. It's less work.

I say if you don't like gigging your really not in this.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455389990' post='2978757']
I can see why some of you chose this stay home option. It's less work.

I say if you don't like gigging your really not in this.

Blue
[/quote]
I am new to this forum but feel I have to jump in on this one. After 9 years of playing in a covers band I can fully understand why playing to a room of drunk, aggressive Brits with their lets-get-legless culture might not appeal to some. Standing there watching the mayhem while stone cold sober eventually lost its edge. In my case age played a part but yes, I guess I'm no longer really in this.