Why become a member? ×

Quiting part two well playing gigs

kevvo66

Gave up gigging last year after the originals band I was in broke up and I have to say I do not miss gigging [i]at all. [/i] Whilst my situation most likely differs from others here, playing in an original heavy metal band on a small island that has one of the highest rates of alcoholism in Europe could often be a drag, especially as I no longer drink myself.

Blue, as an example of the differences in our respective drinking cultures a friend of mine once travelled to the US to visit family. He went to a bar with one person where they tried to order a pitcher of beer each but were refused as pitchers had to be shared by law (I could be wrong but this could be a legal ruling over there?). He was shocked and so was I when he told me this story as we regularly enjoyed drinking steins of beer (35 oz) and on a Sunday night, no less! The two of us would drink probably 60 oz of strong lager an hour for 5-6 hours and we never really stood out as particularly reckless drinkers in even the nicer bars we frequented. So when people here talk about playing to drunk patrons, they can and tend to be e[i]xtremely [/i]drunk!

[quote name='keefbaker' timestamp='1455716594' post='2981745']
Yeah, but you don't play in the UK. There's a huge get drunk/fight culture in the UK so when you're in a room full of a drunken mob there can be a vibe of sh*t getting ready to kick off.

[/quote]

I've been playing pubs for over thirty years, I've done several hundred gigs and I've probably encountered that sort of situation three or four times.

I've played some rowdy gigs but never seen a fight while I'm playing. In fact the only time I've seen fights is with young kids watching "hardcore" or whatever the genre of metal is. They swing their arms around and then act all surprised when they "accidentally" hit a lady in the face, and then obviously every loses it and people get chucked out.

First 'proper' gig I went to (Motorhead supported by the Wildhearts) I saw a lad get punched by a skinhead who in turn was given a sound drubbing by some bikers.

Also played in a pub where a fight broke out, a third man stepped in to break it up which prompted a fourth man to try and fight him! It's not the rule of gigs in the UK but it does happen and it's a bit of a downer when it does. I've also had my car vandalised by gig goers (I saw them doing it) so on balance I'm pleased to be without the aggro!

There do not have to be actual fights for things to get tedious. An ex bandmate of mine with a finger in her face:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153429021118920&set=a.183367098919.123861.515118919&type=3&theater
Incessant requests for a song we cannot or no longer want to play; music stands sent flying (our brass needed the dots); punters who just look at you and don't move out of the way as you try to carry heavy gear in, but more usually out of the venue.

With hindsight my disillusionment with it all was in part tied up with a bout of bad health, plus the incessant moaning within the band (about our drummer once they realised it wasn't me; about some band members turning up minutes before the start of the gig and then disappearing without helping to strike down the gear; I'm sure a lot of you know how it goes). My health is sorted, I have a found a new big band to play with. Onwards and upwards, hopefully

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455389990' post='2978757']

I say if you don't like gigging your really not in this.

Blue
[/quote]

Blue you really do make me laugh. You say that people who don't gig aren't really "in this", you criticise people who only play weekends, you say that to you are living the dream on your gig money but it's all just nonsense really.

I am one of the "weekend warriors" that you have previously stated are ruining live music and that they should leave it for the full timers. I have a day job so I don't have to play all the bar gigs because I've been there and done that 1000 times over and I just don't get excited by them anymore. I still live for playing live though but these days I prefer to be doing functions etc in nice venues playing music that I love with great players. Ironically my weekend warrior work currently brings me considerably more than the income you make from your work (based on figures you posted a few months back on another discussion). It's absolutely great that you love what you do, really it is but if I thought that I would end up single and playing pubs for a living in my retirement I'd probably top myself now.....because we all get different things from this and that's not what I want to get from it. If people want to sit at home recording in their bedroom then they are no less "in this" than you or I. It's like saying "blokes that just kick a football about in the park with their mates should go home and leave it to the pros". Nonsense, music needs people of all abilities and commitment levels, no matter what they want to get from playing, to keep it alive and keep the people at the top of the tree on their toes. Without the millions of bedroom musicians around the world buying gear there would be far less money poured into development of new technology and gear so it makes the whole scene richer.

About time you looked outside your little box and showed a little respect for those that happen to see things differently from you.

I used to have a guitarist who told me to smile more (for photos and sometimes on stage).
I say USED TO.

Tell your guitarist politely that you don't tell him how to act on stage and that if he continues, you will step down.
That may solve part of the problem.

Try and work out what makes you anxious about people at gigs.
I don't make eye contact with people when I am playing and do spend an amount of time in auto-pilot.
It may help you if you tune them out a bit.
But if the issue is you can't be arsed, then the only way is probably out.

Don't sell anything until you are sure that you won't use it for your own pleasure.

Do what makes you feel happy.

Edited by 12stringbassist

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1455795753' post='2982467']
Blue you really do make me laugh...
[/quote]

I don't see any need to take Blue's comment so seriously. I don't think he meant that if you don't want to gig in pubs then you should give up bass. I think he meant that if you don't want to gig in pubs, you should give up gigging in pubs

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1455796578' post='2982483']

I don't see any need to take Blue's comment so seriously. I don't think he meant that if you don't want to gig in pubs then you should give up bass. I think he meant that if you don't want to gig in pubs, you should give up gigging in pubs
[/quote]

Yep I probably shouldn't have hijacked the ops thread but this is more a response to this in conjunction with many of Blue's other posts elsewhere. My bad.

Nah, don't quit. And keep the gear for sure. I have a mate who plays in a punk band; he only picks a bass up every 2 years when they decide that they can be bothered to play any gigs. He just plays root notes and has a great time; just doesn't touch the bloody thing otherwise. Have a break and I reckon you will start hankering to do something in a few months ;)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1455786071' post='2982342']
Playing the same covers every week in pubs would definitely get me down. I like to play originals in "venues". If I was the OP I'd quit the bands and start writing my solo album
[/quote]

Very different over here. Originals bands don't gig. There is no place for them to gig.Well that's not entirely true, They seems to do a few unpaid charities and benefits.

They seem to focus more on recording.

Over here, if your thing is money and gigging, don't join an originals band.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1455796578' post='2982483']

[/quote]

Exactly, none of us should be stuck playing in environments we don't like.

You don't like pub gigging, doesn't mean quit playing, It might mean stay away from pub bands. You might like recording better.

If you don't like people, bands might not be for you. Do solo projects or the hone studio thing. You shouldn't have to quit all together.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1455795753' post='2982467']

Blue you really do make me laugh. You say that people who don't gig aren't really "in this", you criticise people who only play weekends, you say that to you are living the dream on your gig money but it's all just nonsense really.[/quote]

I might not always use the best examples or choice of words on issues I comment on.
However,you've got me and the positions I take all wrong.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1455971403' post='2984081']

If you don't like people, bands might not be for you. Do solo projects or the hone studio thing. You shouldn't have to quit all together.

Blue
[/quote]
If someone genuinely doesn't like other people I would suggest that they probably have issues that they need to address that go beyond music or playing in bands.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1455364186' post='2978403']
Take a break, but don`t sell all your gear. You may find a renewed interest in music a few years down the line, and having to then re-buy is a pain - I`ve been there. Just sounds to me like your interest for your current band has gone. Once you start to resent gigging it really gets to you, so leaving is def best for both you and the band.
[/quote]

^^^
This!

I stopped playing around 10 years ago and sold all my gear... and now I've bought literally everything I had before again (and more!) since I started playing again around 3 years ago!

Take a break and just wait for the bug to come back again. It will; it might take a little while, but it will come back.

I played in original indie , rock band and played the cavern in Liverpool twice main stage and back stage ,that's one for blue as he love the Beatles obviously it's not the original one as was condemned and knocked down years ago ,I'm still going to gig when I want and I have wrote my own songs but people just want covers so hey take the money and all that but going more towards jazz and think that's road I'm going down .ps also have a day job and i will only gig weekends ,everyone entitled to their opinion and I respect that
And play nice everyone no falling with each other
Cheers kev

Edited by kevvo66

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1455827217' post='2982832']
That`s a shame, but then it`s down to what the audiences want. Over here there`s plenty of opportunities for both covers and originals bands, though I do have to admit originals don`t pay like covers do.
[/quote]

Over here ,the crowd that goes to see originals bands don't have much money to spend on alcohol. That's the reason we only have maybe a half dozen places for originals bands to play. And that means and playing for free.

Blue

Edited by blue