Why become a member? ×

Pharell / Happy Cover

gapiro

Hmmmm ... I thought the video editing was about the best thing about it.

Reminds me of those [i][b]Best Smooth Jazz Ever[/b][/i] compilations you used to see in Woolworths.

And if you're going to get Andrew Gouche in, and I bet he ain't cheap, why not put him a little higher in the mix?

Amazing set of skills on display here. Great arrangement, great musicality.

But... Umm... Am I the only one that thinks, yeah, it's all very technical and the like... but the original still grooves a lot harder? Substitute the feck out of the chords and everything, obligatory horns and chromatic runs, syncopations... Just cos you can, doesn't mean you should.

Or is it just me?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1455217405' post='2977204']
Amazing set of skills on display here. Great arrangement, great, musicality.

But... Umm... Am I the only one that thinks, yeah, it's all very technical and the like... but the original still grooves a lot harder? Substitute the feck out of the chords and everything, obligatory horns and chromatic runs, syncopations... Just cos you can, doesn't mean you should.

Or is it just me?
[/quote]

It's not just you

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1455441197' post='2979029']
The Sting tune works well.
[/quote]

For me, the end result is the track is completely at odds with the lyric. It's lost all its jauntiness. And the Happy cover's lost its groove too - another triumph (?) of style over substance. The originals were great - why tinker with them for no appreciable benefit? Great playing, but like a Steely Dan tribute band, I don't see the point. If you were to be cynical about it, it's just an easy way of getting attention for the arranger and performers. No doubt they'll get booked for more studio and live gigs from the exposure/controversy. So on that basis, I'm helping their cause, it seems... ;)

Edited by lowregisterhead

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1455195718' post='2976901']
Just smashing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz1bJtV4KkM
[/quote]

Fabulous - would be great to see this line up live.

A shame they didn't keep some of the hooks from the original.

Edited by drTStingray

The Bottom 40 cover is an example of great musicianship, unfortunately, it's also a great example of "less is more" They've completely lost the point of the song in that the original really does want to make you dance and be happy.

But, thanks for posting. Nice to hear some good players at any time.

Edited by leschirons