Why become a member? ×

Musical blind spots

interpol52

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452687937' post='2952390']
Maybe, however I don't believe your story about these young bands.

Blue
[/quote]

I run a recording studio and have recorded them. Here's one band who talked about the beatles a lot

[url="https://www.facebook.com/TheAlbionOfficial/?fref=ts"]https://www.facebook.com/TheAlbionOfficial/?fref=ts[/url]

So there's proof that I'm not a liar. The first time I've had to do that on Basschat. Do you ever wonder why people accuse you of trolling?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452687764' post='2952382']

I don't know everyone's age. Even 50 is too young to understand the 60s and the greats from that era.

I'm sure there's still great material being written today. But IMO not as great as The 60s and 70s.

Blue
[/quote]
So you're demanding that everyone should know about bands from the sixties, but also claim that unless you're old enough to have been there then it's not possible?

You basically want to be considered superior because of your age.

You also show a huge, gaping ignorance of modern music. But that's ok, we can't expect you to know everything about modern music, especially at your age.

It's perfectly OK for you to have a favourite musical era, and play music from whenever you like. But if everyone was how you seem to expect them to be, music would never evolve. If you say that we wouldn't have modern music without such and such a band, but then claim that modern music isn't nearly as good, what does that really say about that band's influence?

No one here knocks you for what you like and play. Please do us the same courtesy.

Edited by KingBollock

As a teenager I bought records on recommendation from friends and what I liked on the radio. naturally, I had many blind spots to music which lay outside of this grounding. Over the years I have listened to a lot of stuff and World Music (Africa / Asia / South America) remains an unknown.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1452688407' post='2952399']

So you're demanding that everyone should know about bands from the sixties, but also claim that unless you're old enough to have been there then it's not possible?

You basically want to be considered superior because of your age.

You also show a huge, gaping ignorance of modern music. But that's ok, we can't expect you to know everything about modern music, especially at your age.

It's perfectly OK for you to have a favourite musical era, and play music from whenever you like. But if everyone was how you seem to expect them to be, music would never evolve. If you say that we wouldn't have modern music without such and such a band, but then claim that modern music isn't nearly as good, what does that really say about that band's influence?

No one here knocks you for what you like and play. Please do us the same courtesy.
[/quote]

You've missed my entire point.

I don't want the OPs thread shut down. So I'm done with this thread.

Superior, no, not at all. Luckier, definitely.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452687447' post='2952378']

Then I would suggest not commenting on The Beatles. I had nothing negative to say about Motorhead or Lemmy.

I know what and how the younger generation feels about The Beatles. You can't fool me.

Blue
[/quote]

Nobody had anything negative to say about the Beatles.

Other than they didn't like them and they were in a blind spot.

Any other bands in our blind spots you think we shouldn't comment on? Just so that we don't offend you?

Madness. Stop being so sensitive.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1452688268' post='2952394']
Do we need to lock this thread? I didn't want to start another one of these half-brick lobbing matches. It was just a simple question I wanted to ask people.
[/quote]

No need to lock the thread, it's a good one - just remove one person from it.
He seems to be allowed to insult people with impunity for some reason.

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1452688268' post='2952394']
Do we need to lock this thread?
[/quote]
Hopefully not, but I bloody well will if it carries on in this vein -- when accusations of lying start flying, it's time to calm the f*** down and take a deep breath. The OPs question was a very simple one that (if I'm reading it correctly) was about bands/genres you have been hitherto unfamiliar with. Let's see if we can keep it in that vein without any crap being thrown around, shall we?
And please bear in mind that just as not liking a particular band doesn't automatically make them crap, it also doesn't automatically equate to a lack of [i]respect[/i] for them. Sometimes not liking something just means, y'know, not liking it.

Oh lordy, it's another one of THOSE threads....

Since I got more into world music about 10/15 years ago I realised that there is a vast ocean of music to swim through. Life is short, why restrict one's musical palate to the straight jacket that is pop/rock/funk/r&b or whatever. There is loads of great music being made out there RIGHT NOW, it's just not in the traditionally popular genres. So what if I've never heard album XXX by YYY from 1960 blah blah blah... I certainly don't feel like I'm missing out, in fact I know I'm not.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452654112' post='2952112']
I say it is a matter of respect and one of the reasons your generation will never generate the amount of great musical artists as mine.

Sorry guys, I had to "dog" the OP and I did.

Blue
[/quote]

It's purely taste.

I have every respect for what the Beatles, and the Stones did. I just don't like their music.

I listen to a lot of jazz, and an awful lot of classical, and contemporary classical music. Do I respect Miles more than McCartney, or Cage more than Jagger ? No, I just prefer their music. Each is as important in advancing music in their particular genre as the other.

I don't listen to rock and roll, I don't listen to funk, blues or rock music. I still however respect the originators of that style, or rather those that moved it along.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1452689714' post='2952424']
Hopefully not, but I bloody well will if it carries on in this vein -- when accusations of lying start flying, it's time to calm the f*** down and take a deep breath. The OPs question was a very simple one that (if I'm reading it correctly) was about bands/genres you have been hitherto unfamiliar with. Let's see if we can keep it in that vein without any crap being thrown around, shall we?
And please bear in mind that just as not liking a particular band doesn't automatically make them crap, it also doesn't automatically equate to a lack of [i]respect[/i] for them. Sometimes not liking something just means, y'know, not liking it.
[/quote]

+10,000!

I think a lot of posts are missing the point of the OP. It's not so much major bands/artists that you don't like, but rather ones that have always been there but for whatever reason went under your radar. I think :rolleyes:
A recent discovery for me - Cheap Trick. I've always been aware of them but never knew their music - apart from a couple on various 'Rock' compilations. I now have an entire back catalogue to work through - so far it's been an utter joy.

And FWIW I love The Megadeaths, or at least the band they eventually became. ;)

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1452691284' post='2952447']
I think a lot of posts are missing the point of the OP. It's not so much major bands/artists that you don't like, but rather ones that have always been there but for whatever reason went under your radar. I think :rolleyes:

[/quote]

That is exactly it! Well put.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1452691284' post='2952447']
A recent discovery for me - Cheap Trick. I've always been aware of them but never knew their music - apart from a couple on various 'Rock' compilations. I now have an entire back catalogue to work through - so far it's been an utter joy.
[/quote]

One of my favourite bands, I've got pretty much everything they've done. Incredible live band.
There is quite a bit of dross though IMO. Their cover of The Motors "Dancing the night away" is one of the worst things I've ever heard.
If there's anything you want to hear & can't find let me know.

There's loads of classical music I've not heard, I'd like to get through that at some point. In terms of pop, I've made myself blind to a lot of it. I just can't stand anything that doesn't really grab me quickly. There are also bands I've neglected because I find their singer's voice annoying to listen to. Maybe I'm too fussy but I've not run out of new music to listen to yet

This thread has actually throw up a number of really interesting issues. We will all have swathes of music that we've never bothered/felt the need/been attracted/had the time to check out. There is so much music out there there's just not enough time.

There will be lots of reasons why we do or don't listen to artists or genres - all subjective, all just as valid for each of us. Sometimes we listen just because it catches our ear, sometimes we listen to actively educate ourselves, sometime we listen just to find out what we do and don't like. I think that's the great thing about music - it's a broad art form, not a set syllabus.

Most of the artists/genres I've got in knowing blind spots I've not explored because for one reason or another they haven't done it for me. And the reasons can be manifold. To take my original examples, like the Smiths. Loved Marr's playing, couldn't abide Morrissey - sufficiently that, bar the odd single, they were an effective no go area for me.[i] [...a little post production drop-in/overdub here... [/i]Same thing with The Cure.[i]] [/i]Apart from Lovecats and Friday I'm In Love they just didn't catch my ear. [i][[/i]In fact, I'm always surprised when I see how globally huge and popular the Cure are as they just weren't on my musical radar as such. [i]...another little tape splice][/i] Similarly the Velvets, the Fall and the Doors. Just not for me.

Others I have avoided for different reasons. Modern rap and r'n'b tends to be just a bit too... well unpleasant... for my personal tastes and finding the few artists I might like amongst the ones I probably won't is probably too much effort. Other genres I'll find my little artist niches and stick within these - like with modern (90s+ dance music) I know what I like (in my wardrobe).

Elsewhere there are artists I just don't know who I must get round to exploring some time but have never quite found the time or impetus... Another form of blind spot. I never properly checked out Motown, Stax and Philly beyond stuff on the radio until I was in my very late 20s.

Of course, it's perfectly possible to enjoy (your) music without having an appreciation of the heritage and history of music. It's nice when folks do delve deeper but it doesn't mean they don't love the music they listen to any less for know knowing that history. Some will delve and some won't. And of course, some are closer to that historical context than others. And some will never understand that context on the same visceral level. I was just thinking the other day when Rock Around The Clock came on the car radio. "Try taking a modern teenager, show them a photo of Bill Haley and play them Rock Around The Clock and then try to convince them that this musician and record was so radical and dangerous when it came out that it sparked off public affray and vandalism..." Similarly that Elvis was deemed too corrupting to impressionable young minds... Nah, mate! Your having a larff!

Edited by TrevorR

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1452637168' post='2951999']
I did have a massive blind spot with Bob Dylan... ...Joined a band that played a huge range of his stuff and I'm now a big fan.
[/quote]

Same here. For years I wondered what all the fuss was about. Learnt a track from Nashville Skyline for a recent audition and immediately understood the huge talent involved, where before I saw nothing. Still, better late than never, eh? I've only been in the dark for about 50 years, so no harm done. :lol:

This band are of a genre I know very little about, so I really hope I get the gig! It's all new to me!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1452695497' post='2952515']
...To take my original examples, like the Smiths. Loved Marr's playing, couldn't abide Morrissey - sufficiently that, bar the odd single, they were an effective no go area for me. Apart from Lovecats and Friday I'm In Love they just didn't catch my ear...
[/quote]

I almost hesitate to point it out, but I believe those songs were by The Cure. An honest mistake, I'm sure. :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1452695539' post='2952517']
Same here. For years I wondered what all the fuss was about. Learnt a track from Nashville Skyline for a recent audition and immediately understood the huge talent involved, where before I saw nothing. Still, better late than never, eh? I've only been in the dark for about 50 years, so no harm done. :lol:

This band are of a genre I know very little about, so I really hope I get the gig! It's all new to me!
[/quote]

It was Tangled Up In Blue that got me on board with Dylan.

Good luck with getting the gig!

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1452695872' post='2952523']
It was Tangled Up In Blue that got me on board with Dylan. Good luck with getting the gig!
[/quote]

Thanks! In my case it's Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You.

[quote name='Geddys nose' timestamp='1452696578' post='2952534']
Discovering and listening to bands has never been easier than with Deezer, Spotify, YouTube, etc
[/quote]

That is very true, but the process of deciding which piece to play from literally millions of tracks representing pretty much every single recording ever made since the beginning of time is daunting to say the least and I often end up not choosing anything at all... :)

Edited by discreet