Why become a member? ×

Musical blind spots

interpol52

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1452804176' post='2953734']
There comes a point when other things in your life take over and somehow you stop listening to "current" music. I sadly fall into that category so that's my blind spot. I was brought up on a diet of blues from my pro piano playing dad but fortunately he had a really eclectic library of music which i came to enjoy with literally thousands of cassettes (used to get bootlegged ones from the Middle East). Me and my drummer brother would get stoned and pick random cassettes from the collection and have a listen. Dad and his collection introduced me to Johnny Guitar Watson, Donald Fagen, Stax, Chess, Horace Silver, Charlie Parker, Fatback Band - just loads of great stuff.

All that said, classical is another blind spot as is all the types of metal (runs for cover) and reggae isn't on any playlist. That said, if there were a fee involved, my blind spot would soon disappear.[/quote]

I listen to as much new music as I can and some of the new music is relevant to me.

For me music gets in the way of life,not the other way around. I've always chose music.

Blind spot,Opera. I don't dislike it,I don't understand it.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1452808913' post='2953789']

Given I was talking about some of the biggest and most influential bands of all time, some might describe that as ignorance.

Funny old world, eh?
[/quote]

I have never heard Megadef and only 1 Nirvana song. However, I know enough history to know both bands had a huge influence.And I understand what the big fuss was about them.So no I'm not completely ignorant.

Funny old world, eh?

Blue

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1452786382' post='2953513']

I was born in 1975. I know exactly who David Bowie was (is? I don't know which to say and be respectful) and I know some of his songs. I meant that the majority of his music I don't know, like album tracks and those songs or performances that mean you feel you really know an artist.

I haven't avoided his music, I don't dislike what I know of his songs. It's just that I have never dug deeper into his musical output for whatever reason. It might happen, maybe tonight I will listen and I will be hooked?! Who knows? I might have a go.
[/quote]

Ok. I've put a bit more thought into this.

Maybe our biggest musicial influences happen between the ages of 11 and 25. The big Bowie moment for me was 1980 with the Scary Monsters album. I would have been 11, in 1984 he did live aid, by 86 he was pretty much done in the mainstream.

If you were born in 1975 you would have missed all that.

By the time 1980 came the Beatles had been surpassed by thousands of artists who were standing on their shoulders. Listening to the Beatles for me would be just an academic excercise. Just like it would be for a lot of other people for a lot of other artists, unless the music particularly grabbed them and they were introduced to them at those ages.

Edited by TimR

I have some massive holes in my listening experience. I hadn't heard Dark Side of The Moon until I was 48, only heard the White Album after it appeared on Spotify a few weeks back, never heard a Bob Dylan album, a Stones album or had anything other than superficial contact with any number of 'legends' including Bowie, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, The Eagles, The Band etc etc. There is more music out there that any one of us can consume. Our own journies are what make us 'us'. I have a truckload of obscure artists I have loved and soaked up over the years and have no real sense that I am missing out. My own perspective is that I cannot say that I 'don't like' Bowie, Elton John etc etc, it's more that I cannot listen to everything, so when I do, I go for stuff that I love rather than stuff that I like or think is OK. 'Life On Mars' is a great piece of music but I would never pick it up by chouce because I get to hear it every now and then as I go through life and, when the choice is mine, will go for things that work more for me. The 'choice' is not 'good' vs 'bad' but 'most loved' vs. 'that's nice'.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1452848743' post='2953983']
I have some massive holes in my listening experience. I hadn't heard Dark Side of The Moon until I was 48, only heard the White Album after it appeared on Spotify a few weeks back, never heard a Bob Dylan album, a Stones album or had anything other than superficial contact with any number of 'legends' including Bowie, Elton John, Stevie Wonder, The Eagles, The Band etc etc. There is more music out there that any one of us can consume. Our own journies are what make us 'us'. I have a truckload of obscure artists I have loved and soaked up over the years and have no real sense that I am missing out. My own perspective is that I cannot say that I 'don't like' Bowie, Elton John etc etc, it's more that I cannot listen to everything, so when I do, I go for stuff that I love rather than stuff that I like or think is OK. 'Life On Mars' is a great piece of music but I would never pick it up by chouce because I get to hear it every now and then as I go through life and, when the choice is mine, will go for things that work more for me. The 'choice' is not 'good' vs 'bad' but 'most loved' vs. 'that's nice'.
[/quote]

Great Perspective Bilbo.

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1452819021' post='2953869']
...I got a great new grime album from a Manchester collective called LEVELZ the other day. It's been giving me the head nods and making me grin every day since. :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/levelzmcr/king-of-the-disco"]https://soundcloud.c...ng-of-the-disco[/url]
[/quote]

Nice one, this is great!

[quote name='AustinArto' timestamp='1452819021' post='2953869']
... I got a great new grime album from a Manchester collective called LEVELZ the other day. It's been giving me the head nods and making me grin every day since. :)

[url="https://soundcloud.com/levelzmcr/king-of-the-disco"]https://soundcloud.c...ng-of-the-disco[/url]
[/quote]

My son is one of the promoters ([url="https://www.facebook.com/worriedabouthenry/"]Worried About Henry[/url]) for the LEVELZ gig next week (22nd) in Liverpool .... [url="https://www.facebook.com/events/1634481630151721/"]https://www.facebook...34481630151721/[/url]

Tickets here ... [url="http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Liverpool/24-Kitchen-Street/LEVELZ-Full-Takeover-/12618908/"]http://www.skiddle.com/whats-on/Liverpool/24-Kitchen-Street/LEVELZ-Full-Takeover-/12618908/[/url]

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1452848743' post='2953983']
[/quote]

Spoken like a true Jazzer lol.

Im surprised when I speak to the orchestra guys on ships how much of these huge albums they've missed. I envy you man, you get to listen to 'Songs in the key of Life' , 'Music from the Big pink' and so many more for the first time.

Wish i can have these experiences back. It's like listening to DSOTM for the first time. Everyone knows where they were. Game changer.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452847315' post='2953960']
Ok. I've put a bit more thought into this.

Maybe our biggest musicial influences happen between the ages of 11 and 25.
[/quote]

I'd agree with this, certainly from my own experience.
Even when I discover something new that I like these days it never has the impact on me that music had between the ages you mention. Those were the ages when music really was the most important & exciting thing in my life, the closest I ever got to a religion I suppose.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1452854376' post='2954054']

I'd agree with this, certainly from my own experience.
Even when I discover something new that I like these days it never has the impact on me that music had between the ages you mention. Those were the ages when music really was the most important & exciting thing in my life, the closest I ever got to a religion I suppose.[/quote]

Agreed, probably true for most.

I guess I never grew up. Probably the reason I can be so misunderstood along with being more obsessive than most guys.

Music is still the most important and exciting thing in my life.It's brought me pretty close to an "out of body" experience.

I'm still calling up my buddies playing some new record or playing some new riff over the phone.

When I'm getting ready for a gig on a Friday or Saturday night it's like I'm still 17. But I guess that's wrong too.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452855101' post='2954069']

Agreed, probably true for most.

I guess I never grew up. Probably the reason I can be so misunderstood along with being more obsessive than most guys.

Music is still the most important and exciting thing in my life.I'm still calling up my buddies playing some new record or playing some new riff over the phone.

When I'm getting ready for a gig on a Friday or Saturday night it's like I'm still 17. But I guess that's wrong too.

Blue
[/quote]

I don't see why it's wrong.

However, I think you demonstrate this really well with the Beatles. They're your biggest influence. According to you no other band since have got anywhere close. So regardless of what you listen to now, or whatever new band comes along, nothing can ever eclipse the Beatles. That's not wrong, it's how it is for you.

It's not that we 'don't get it', it's that you were massively influenced at an important point in your life. We are all influenced by different things.

Other people are influenced by other styles of music and other bands according to whoever was in the charts and how else they were exposed to music during that period of their life.

Edit: I think I'm kind of echoing Bilbo but being more specific.

Edited by TimR

Musical blind spots I wish I had ; u2 , Genesis , yes, Madonna , Bob Dylan , razor light , Kings of Leon , bloc party ,early Beatles ( I think the stuff they did when out if fly heir skulls was better ) ,def leppard , Bruce Springsteen , van Morrison , dire straits , bee gees ( before disco stuff they were OK ) & guns and roses. Edith Piaf .

Sorry if I offend . I have listened to the above , and seen a few of the names mentioned , but I tried. My bosses played a few of the bands above also numerous times, boring the crap out of me .

Blue ..if you mentioned Motörhead instead of megadeath ( lemmy) in your opening posts above , you wouldn't have got as much flack as you did IMHO . Just saying;)
It's a bit like me saying Paul mc cartney was a great player with the yardbirds .
No offence meant , just surprised you didn't know how big an icon lemmy is/ was;)

This thread is good tho '.
TBH , I can't really think of any blind spots I've experienced except maybe King Crimson .
Heard about 2 tracks . Levin is a legend obviously , but I just haven't got round to doing so . Yet.;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1452860290' post='2954144']
Musical blind spots I wish I had ; u2 , Genesis , yes, Madonna , Bob Dylan , razor light , Kings of Leon , bloc party ,early Beatles ( I think the stuff they did when out if fly heir skulls was better ) ,def leppard , Bruce Springsteen , van Morrison , dire straits , bee gees ( before disco stuff they were OK ) & guns and roses. Edith Piaf .

Sorry if I offend . I have listened to the above , and seen a few of the names mentioned , but I tried. My bosses played a few of the bands above also numerous times, boring the crap out of me .

Blue ..if you mentioned Motörhead instead of megadeath ( lemmy) in your opening posts above , you wouldn't have got as much flack as you did IMHO . Just saying;)
It's a bit like me saying Paul mc cartney was a great player with the yardbirds .
No offence meant , just surprised you didn't know how big an icon lemmy is/ was;)

This thread is good tho '.
TBH , I can't really think of any blind spots I've experienced except maybe King Crimson .
Heard about 2 tracks . Levin is a legend obviously , but I just haven't got round to doing so . Yet. ;)
[/quote]

Maybe U2 etc. for you are blind alleys (we devoted time to listen to it but didn't find anything of value) rather than blind spots (we never knew about these bands), and King Crimson is for you a "known unknown", as Donald Rumsfeld might have said ;)

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1452860290' post='2954144']
Musical blind spots I wish I had
[/quote]

That's a thread in it's own right... My life would have been greatly improved had I never heard a single note of the Gallagher brothers musical output :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1452862521' post='2954167']
That's a thread in it's own right... My life would have been greatly improved had I never heard a single note of the Gallagher brothers musical output :mellow:
[/quote]

Imagine the arguments that thread would start!

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1452852702' post='2954039']
Spoken like a true Jazzer lol.

Im surprised when I speak to the orchestra guys on ships how much of these huge albums they've missed. I envy you man, you get to listen to 'Songs in the key of Life' , 'Music from the Big pink' and so many more for the first time.

Wish i can have these experiences back. It's like listening to DSOTM for the first time. Everyone knows where they were. Game changer.
[/quote]

I can't. I didn't really like it.

Pink Floyd are like the Beatles to me... bands I really, really tried to force myself to listen to because, as a musician, you're kind of supposed to like them. Or because listening to them will benefit you because other people found them interesting and were influenced to produce music that I liked. I find the music of both bands uninteresting.