Why become a member? ×

Musical blind spots

interpol52

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452847315' post='2953960']
Maybe our biggest musicial influences happen between the ages of 11 and 25.

[/quote]

Let's imagine that our biggest musical influences do happen to us, we first hear them, between the ages of 11 and 25. That really would not mean that our biggest musical influences were necessarily alive/recording/playing during that period of our lives.

Because, maybe, one of Eric Clapton's biggest musical influences is Robert Johnson, but Johnson was dead seven years before Clapton was born.

Nor would the 18-25 rule (even if it were correct) preclude other big musical influences at other stages of our lives.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452847315' post='2953960']
The big Bowie moment for me was 1980 with the Scary Monsters album. I would have been 11, in 1984 he did live aid, by 86 he was pretty much done in the mainstream.

If you were born in 1975 you would have missed all that.

[/quote]

If you were born in 1975 or 1976 or 1977 or any other year, it remains eminently possible to become acquainted with Bowie's work (even after he is dead) and even have him turn into a big musical influence. This is happening to some people right now.

Do you think [i]ALL[/i] Bowie's biggest musical influences happened before 1972 when he was 25?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1452867161' post='2954255']

Let's imagine that our biggest musical influences do happen to us, we first hear them, between the ages of 11 and 25. That really would not mean that our biggest musical influences were necessarily alive/recording/playing during that period of our lives.

Because, maybe, one of Eric Clapton's biggest musical influences is Robert Johnson, but Johnson was dead seven years before Clapton was born.

Nor would the 18-25 rule (even if it were correct) preclude other big musical influences at other stages of our lives.

If you were born in 1975 or 1976 or 1977 or any other year, it remains eminently possible to become acquainted with Bowie's work (even after he is dead) and even have him turn into a big musical influence. This is happening to some people right now.

Do you think [i]ALL[/i] Bowie's biggest musical influences happened before 1972 when he was 25?
[/quote]

I agree entirely. But it's most likely for you to be exposed while there was a large amount of publicity and media attention.

The other way is to be introduced by someone who was a big fan and had some influence over you.

It's not an exact science, we're all different but I'd suggest that's how it works with the majority of us for the majority of the music we like.

Re musical influences, my core preferences were definitely shaped by my big brother. Specifically early Queen, Bowie and similar which I still love unconditionally. I distinctly remember consciously moving from his poppier preferences to heavy rock and metal which he disliked when I was about 15.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452822105' post='2953884']

I have never heard Megadef and only 1 Nirvana song. However, I know enough history to know both bands had a huge influence.And I understand what the big fuss was about them.So no I'm not completely ignorant.

Funny old world, eh?

Blue
[/quote]

Why do you keep bringing up Megadeth? I mentioned Zeppelin, the stones, velvet underground etc.

Look, no offence meant, I understand how influenced you are by The Beatles and I totally get that. But your view on more recent bands such as Nirvana echoes exactly the view some people expressed in this thread of 'the greats' of the 60's, which is a view you took exception to.

I've listened to hundreds of Beatles songs. My mum used to play her Beatles LP's to me when I was a kid. I grew up listening to these songs. But, when I got to about the age of 11, I discovered my Dad's Black Sabbath LP's and found it much more exciting. The Beatles I find 'ok'. I understand their influence and I respect them as songwriters but I'm not greatly moved by their music.

But all the 'greats' , yours, mine, and everyone else's in this thread would have been nothing without the blues musicians from the early 1900's, we should recognise that at least.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452863162' post='2954180']
The band Yes.

I was just making a pot of coffee and they were playing one of their songs on the radio. I have tried, On recommendation I've bought 2 or 3 of their albums. I don't get them though.
[/quote]

Completely missing the point of the thread!

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1452862271' post='2954165']
Good question Tim ;)
I don't think they were that big a deal until the 90s, when Metallica / slayer/ anthrax ( even megadeth) sited them as a huge influence .
[/quote]

I believe those bands are considered the Big 4.

Blue

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1452878482' post='2954412']

Why do you keep bringing up Megadeth? I mentioned Zeppelin, the stones, velvet underground etc. [/quote]

My error when I mentioned Megadeth I actually meant Motorhead.

We're not that far apart and I understand how The Beatles aren't as relevant to all of us in the same way for different reason.

Blue

Becoming album-oriented already as a young boy in the mid sixties, I must have thousands of blind spots.
I was aware of these artist's existence though, as they were all named in the music mags I would read.

Examples: Cream, Eric Clapton, The Byrds, The Rolling Stones (though I did eventually hear Brown Sugar), Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, David Bowie (until Warszawa happened on tv), Frank Zappa until '79 (because he reportedly wrote difficult music, so I feared him - not realising that at the same time, I listened to experimental classical music on a daily basis) and loads of others.

I didn't listen a lot to the radio, but something that did not help either was that most radio presenters would introduce the next song, then play that song and then afterwards not tell what song just had been played, so even if my ears had opened up because something exciting was on the radio, I'd often not find out what it was without a lot of investigation.

Except: some of the music mags were very good at describing some new music and its roots. Based on those articles, I could fairly often guess which artist probably was the one I'd just heard. But I've still missed many well-known artists.

That said, with a 6,000 album collection spanning most types of music, I've probably heard more music than the people who know the most well-known artists from the popularity lists, so it's not really as if I've been missing out on something.
Also, I'd often know more about the styles people liked than they themselves did, even if I hadn't heard the most popular artist within that style.

IOW it's all about life situation, reference frame, perspective, goals, etc. etc.

BTW, me, I quite like not being called uninformed or ignorant just because I don't know some three chord wonder.
[/grumpy] :)

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1452782546' post='2953466']
Me too. I wasn't really listening to contemporary bands when Nirvana bloomed, but I can see the appeal. Not so with Dylan and Morrison... a lot of people say ah, it's Dylan's lyrics.... but even great lyrics don't sway me if I don't find anything to interest me in the music.
[/quote]
It's the sound of the vocals - I can't get past that so the rest of their collective output remains a mystery/blind spot/call it what you will..

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452894619' post='2954621']

Excuse me for being dim, but it seems to be what everyone else is talking about, I've obviously misunderstood.
[/quote]

I think it's more about big bands that have totally gone under your radar (ie you don't know the first thing about their music), rather than bands you've checked out and not liked.

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1452894619' post='2954621']
Excuse me for being dim, but it seems to be what everyone else is talking about, I've obviously misunderstood.
[/quote]

You're not dim. Threads have a life of their own, whatever anyone wants them to be about.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1452860290' post='2954144']
Musical blind spots I wish I had ; u2 , Genesis , yes, Madonna , Bob Dylan , razor light , Kings of Leon , bloc party ,early Beatles ( I think the stuff they did when out if fly heir skulls was better ) ,def leppard , Bruce Springsteen , van Morrison , dire straits , bee gees ( before disco stuff they were OK ) & guns and roses. Edith Piaf .

Sorry if I offend . I have listened to the above , and seen a few of the names mentioned , but I tried. My bosses played a few of the bands above also numerous times, boring the crap out of me .

Blue ..if you mentioned Motörhead instead of megadeath ( lemmy) in your opening posts above , you wouldn't have got as much flack as you did IMHO . Just saying;)
It's a bit like me saying Paul mc cartney was a great player with the yardbirds .
No offence meant , just surprised you didn't know how big an icon lemmy is/ was;)

This thread is good tho '.
TBH , I can't really think of any blind spots I've experienced except maybe King Crimson .
Heard about 2 tracks . Levin is a legend obviously , but I just haven't got round to doing so . Yet.;)
[/quote]

I guess you have a point. Whenever I saw a Lemmy interview I listened and I liked the guy and his perspective on rock n roll. I guess my interest was more philosophical.

I got the name of the band wrong, anyone else ever make a big mistake?

Blue

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1452895332' post='2954629']

I think it's more about big bands that have totally gone under your radar (ie you don't know the first thing about their music), rather than bands you've checked out and not liked.
[/quote]

Bruce Springsteen, and I'm from Jersey.

Great performer, but I never got what his thing was.

Blue