Why become a member? ×

Musical blind spots

interpol52

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1453028100' post='2955609']
That's a musical blind spot of mine. Where would one start with the Grateful Dead?
[/quote]

The list is long; 'Anthem of the Sun'..? 'American Beauty'..? 'From the Mars Hotel'..? That'll give [i]some [/i]idea (but you had to 'be there', really, y'know..! ;) ).

Here's a rendering (amo,gst many...) of the 'anthem', 'Dark Star, and more, live. Sublime stuff; I play this stuff for hours on end. Garcia forever, I say...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV-2EJnfzjY

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453033147' post='2955685']
The list is long; 'Anthem of the Sun'..? 'American Beauty'..? 'From the Mars Hotel'..? That'll give [i]some [/i]idea (but you had to 'be there', really, y'know..! ;) ).

Here's a rendering (amo,gst many...) of the 'anthem', 'Dark Star, and more, live. Sublime stuff; I play this stuff for hours on end. Garcia forever, I say...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV-2EJnfzjY[/media]
[/quote]

I gave it three minutes but they were still playing the intro... :ph34r: :huh:

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1453034929' post='2955726']
[/quote]

Ah, the youf of today..! No patience, see..? How about Wagner's 'Ring cycle', then..? No, it's not a circus act, one has to sit still and listen for more than a couple of minutes for it to sink in. Not for the hyper-active among us, of course. :lol:

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1453034929' post='2955726']
[/quote]

This is so the Deadheads get time to finetune their recording gear during gigs.

Then maybe try this atypical one, Touch of Grey, from 1982 or so (and released in '87):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uby6jFCDjE[/media]

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1453028100' post='2955609']
That's a musical blind spot of mine. Where would one start with the Grateful Dead?
[/quote]
Likewise. I have never, to my knowledge, heard a single Dead tune. I will be putting this right, thanks to this thread. 😀
It's actually quite exciting, because there's always the chance that it might turn out to be the greatest thing I've ever heard.

'American Beauty' is maybe an easier entry point, after all. T'would be a shame to miss out because of a one bad video shoot; it's true that there's not a lot of 'live' Dead footage for those not already 'in the fold'.
Could be worse; I could have suggested Cap'n Beefheart..! :lol: :P It took me literally years before I could listen to Zappa's '200 Motels' right through; not all good music is immediately available in the first few seconds.
An anecdote..? Yes..? OK, then...
I was attending a training session for an IT company in Holland, with a few international colleagues. Yo, from Singapore, was very keen, very enthusiastic. The instructor was explaining that we were to go through the procedure for restoring the Oracle database, which would be 'accidentally' rubbed out using the 'Drop' command..Firstly, though, a backup would have to be made... Too late. Our friend Yo had already 'obeyed' the instructor, and had 'dropped' the db. Nothing left to back up..! It took most of the morning for the local team to restore these training db's from that night's tape (a good exercise for them, of course..!). Our whole time with Yo was spent in exactly this same, 'speed', way. We'd go to a restaurant in the evening; he'd not understand how one could sit and wait for the order to be cooked..! No sooner served than he wanted to know where we would be going next. A pleasant evening spent in relaxing company in one place was foreign to his nature; forever looking for greener grass, unable to enjoy the present minute..! To hear him speak of Singapore, it seemed to be a cultural thing there (I've never been to verify this...), where everything is disposable, rapid, immediate, urgent, and better in the [i]next [/i]few minutes, in a similar fashion to Alice's "Jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today". Eternally dissatisfied as a consequence.
Ramble over; as you were. Thank you for your patience. :mellow:

Edited by Dad3353

I've gone my entire life without knowingly listening to any Greatfull Dead and those 2 clips have only confirmed why I avoided them.

I'm coming to the conclusion that my musical blind spots aren't blind spots merely my subconscious is perfectly tuned to knowing what I won't like.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1453043940' post='2955869']
I'm coming to the conclusion that my musical blind spots aren't blind spots merely my subconscious is perfectly tuned to knowing what I won't like.
[/quote]

This is how I feel. I've heard enough music in enough genres to know what is & what isn't going to appeal to me.
I spent years trying to see the attraction in lots of music that people told me was "essential" listening.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453038614' post='2955787']

'American Beauty' is maybe an easier entry point, after all. T'would be a shame to miss out because of a one bad video shoot; it's true that there's not a lot of 'live' Dead footage for those not already 'in the fold'.
Could be worse; I could have suggested Cap'n Beefheart..! :lol: :P [/quote]

You could have, but I have endured Trout Nask Replica on numerous occasions. It does kinda come together after several listens. Moonlight on Vermont is awesome.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453038614' post='2955787']

I was attending a training session for an IT company in Holland, with a few international colleagues. Yo, from Singapore, was very keen, very enthusiastic. The instructor was explaining that we were to go through the procedure for restoring the Oracle database, which would be 'accidentally' rubbed out using the 'Drop' command..Firstly, though, a backup would have to be made... Too late. Our friend Yo had already 'obeyed' the instructor, and had 'dropped' the db. Nothing left to back up..! It took most of the morning for the local team to restore these training db's from that night's tape (a good exercise for them, of course..!). Our whole time with Yo was spent in exactly this same, 'speed', way. We'd go to a restaurant in the evening; he'd not understand how one could sit and wait for the order to be cooked..! No sooner served than he wanted to know where we would be going next. A pleasant evening spent in relaxing company in one place was foreign to his nature; forever looking for greener grass, unable to enjoy the present minute..! To hear him speak of Singapore, it seemed to be a cultural thing there (I've never been to verify this...), where everything is disposable, rapid, immediate, urgent, and better in the [i]next [/i]few minutes, in a similar fashion to Alice's "Jam yesterday, jam tomorrow, but never jam today". Eternally dissatisfied as a consequence.
[/quote]

I know people like this. Makes for a very unrelaxed night out! But I have to ask- did Yo appear to be disappearing to the toilet fairly frequently throughout the night? Come back sniffing at all? Excessively moving his lips or jaw?

Well, it could be cultural or it could be chemical!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1453072095' post='2956214']...did Yo appear to be disappearing to the toilet fairly frequently throughout the night? Come back sniffing at all? Excessively moving his lips or jaw?

Well, it could be cultural or it could be chemical!
[/quote]

Good gracious, no..! T'would be difficult to meet a more serious person..! We went, as a group, to the Amsterdam red light district, to experience the famous 'Banana Bar( yes, that is what you're thinking of...), and were careful, when strolling down beside the canal to not take photographs of the shop fronts; the 'residents' are rather touchy on the subject. Our friend Yo wouldn't take in the imperative of this, and it took us one heck of an effort to prevent him being chucked bodily into the water by the 'minders'. Altogether a disappointing evening, as Jorge, from Switzerland, had been hoping to obtain some edible underwear he'd heard of, but we couldn't find any. Fran was more interested in the Sex Museum, but I couldn't manage all the stairs, so only saw the lower parts. No, that's [i]not [/i]what you're thinking..!

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1453043940' post='2955869']
I've gone my entire life without knowingly listening to any Greatfull Dead and those 2 clips have only confirmed why I avoided them.

[/quote]

I'll say one thing about The Dead.They broke up years ago, Jerry Garcia has passed away years ago, yet people are still traveling all over the world to see them.

I don't know what it is, but they must have done something right.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1453081573' post='2956250']
I'll say one thing about The Dead.They broke up years ago, Jerry Garcia has passed away years ago, yet people are still traveling all over the world to see them.

I don't know what it is, but they must have done something right.

Blue
[/quote]

Popularity isn't necessarily a guarantee of kwalitee!
People still flock in their tens of thousands to see the decaying remains of Take That...
As for The Dead, I've been played bits by various doobie-wielding mates. But never found them interesting enough, beyond the confines of being very stoned at someone else's house, to explore much further. They're one of those bands who I'll very occasionally enjoy merely in passing. Unlike the Beatles, who, despite having explored lots at the urging of various fanbois, bore me to tears. Each to their own!
With the Beefheart, I've also been subjected to Trout Mask and been largely unimpressed, despite a love for the weird and wonderful.
However, "Bat Chain Puller" is most excellent. Grit yer teeth and enjoy!
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLalCFhRvXo[/MEDIA]

I don't often listen to whole albums, I tend to make up playlists that I set to shuffle randomly. For instance. I have quite a few Grateful Dead songs but no albums. Their stuff lives in my Hippy playlist, along with Jefferson Airplane, Sweetwater, Bob Dylan, Canned Heat and a shed load of other stuff from the 60s and 70s. There are between 300 and 400 songs in that playlist. There might only be a handful of songs by a band in the playlist, or there might be a couple of dozen.

I have a slightly smaller playlist that covers the same time period, but is made up of pop songs, labelled Oldies. And another one that is bigger than the Hippy one, for Country music, that goes from the 50s up to now. By far my biggest playlist is for rock and metal, which starts in the early 70s. I also have playlists for Folk (mostly Irish, though), Punk, Goth, Hip Hop/Rap, Classical, modern Pop and others. I just play whatever I am in the mood for.

I do own several hundred albums, and I do still listen to them. The problem is that I am very indecisive and often struggle to make up my mind which album I want to listen to. So even if I decide I want to listen to one particular band, I will usually end up putting all their albums on shuffle.

I was born in 1975 and I listen to lots of stuff from before I was born. Being told what I can and can't like is bullshit and I find it incredibly offensive.

I live a very isolated life, so I am genuinely pretty much untouched by fashion, especially in music. I also have real problems remembering names, whether it be people or things. So knowing all the details about the music I listen to is difficult, half the time I can't even remember what songs are on what albums of my very favourite bands, so all I have to go on is what I am listening to, so it is, for me, by default, [i]all[/i] about the music.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1453106551' post='2956292']

Unlike the Beatles, who, despite having explored lots at the urging of various fanbois, bore me to tears. Each to their own![/quote]

I no longer make comments about The Beatles. I think those that are active on Bass Chat know where I stand.

Blue

Edited by blue