Why become a member? ×

Musical blind spots

interpol52

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452653193' post='2952108']
While I don't know Megadeath [sic],I know Lemmy started the band back in the mid 70s.
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure he didn't and while Megadeth aren't my cup of tea, there is no denying that they were/are a hugely influential band who are very technically skilled. Album sales of eight figures are rarely wrong.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1452685171' post='2952328']

Oh, I know what you're trying to say, I just think that post shows that you fail to live up to what you preach. It's called hypocrisy.[/quote]

What I wad saying in case it was missed. I like Lemmy.

Is there something wrong about that?

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452685676' post='2952340']

What I wad saying in case it was missed. I like Lemmy.

Is there something wrong about that?

Blue
[/quote]
So you like and respect one of the greats. Nothing wrong with that. So, out of respect you should know a bit about him, right? So, what band did Lemmy start in the mid 70s?

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1452685592' post='2952337']

Insisting that everyone should think the way you do, is [i]not[/i] being broad minded.[/quote]

Not at all. Just because I am not afraid to challenge someone's opinion or comment doesn't mean they should think the way I do about anything.

Blue

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1452685838' post='2952343']

So you like and respect one of the greats. Nothing wrong with that. So, out of respect you should know a bit about him, right? So, what band did Lemmy start in the mid 70s?[/quote]

I thought he started the band in 1975. I could be wrong and what if I am? I still like him.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452685995' post='2952348']

I thought he started the band in 1975. I could be wrong and what if I am? I still like him.

Blue
[/quote]
Started what band?

The point is that you lambast others for a lack of knowledge about the musicians that you consider important, yet you can't get your facts straight.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452685995' post='2952348']

Blue
[/quote]

The point is Motörhead was the name of the band, not Megadeath.

They're hugely influential. Span several decades (unlike the Beatles).

They've made more than 5 albums.

They're an artist you should have actively listened to. Especially as your band play classic rock.

I suggest they may well be a blind spot. No one has called you ignorant. Yet.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452686540' post='2952358']

The point is Motörhead was the name of the band, not Megadeath.

They're hugely influential. Span several decades (unlike the Beatles).

They've made more than 5 albums.

They're an artist you should have actively listened to. Especially as your band play classic rock.

I suggest they may well be a blind spot. No one has called you ignorant. Yet.
[/quote]

Not a blind spot at all. I got the name of the band wrong. However, I think I got the year right.

Plus my point was merely that I watched a lot of Lemmys interviews and I liked him as well as his perspective on rock and roll.

Not sure what your getting at.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452686893' post='2952367']

Not a blind spot at all. I got the name of the band wrong. However, I think I got the year right.

Plus my point was merely that I watched a lot of Lemmys interviews and I liked him as well as his perspective on rock and roll.

Not sure what your getting at.

Blue
[/quote]

Well, you can't really escape Paul McArtney here. But you still would have to actively listen to the Beatles back catalogue to get into them and understand the music.

That's not something I need to do. It's not being ignorant, it's being pragmatic in my approach to what I listen to.

The thread is about which bands are you aware of that are very big and influential but who you haven't actively listened to.

It's not about who is or isn't being ignorant.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452686540' post='2952358']
They're hugely influential. Span several decades (unlike the Beatles).[/quote]

How about this, if there was no Beatles there never would have been a Motorhead.

Plus, the Beatles did what takes most bands decades in a few short years.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452654112' post='2952112']
...one of the reasons your generation will never generate the amount of great musical artists as mine.
[/quote]

How do you know everyone's age?

I'm 31, so I've no idea whether I'm included in that bracket or not, but I'm still wound up by your post. There are many reasons why lots of attention was focussed on a small number of songwriters in "your day", compared with a greater/thinner spread of attention over more songwriters today. What is certain is that there is still original music being written, music is still evolving, and people are still finding new kinds of music to enjoy.

With the greatest of respect to "the greats" (not that they'd care), I'm so f***ing glad we're not all stuck in the 60s, and I'm certain that most of them would agree.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1452687082' post='2952371']

Well, you can't really escape Paul McArtney here. But you still would have to actively listen to the Beatles back catalogue to get into them and understand the music.

That's not something I need to do. It's not being ignorant, it's being pragmatic in my approach to what I listen to.

The thread is about which bands are you aware of that are very big and influential but who you haven't actively listened to.

It's not about who is or isn't being ignorant.
[/quote]

Then I would suggest not commenting on The Beatles. I had nothing negative to say about Motorhead or Lemmy.

I know what and how the younger generation feels about The Beatles. You can't fool me.

Blue

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1452687425' post='2952376']

How do you know everyone's age?

I'm 31, so I've no idea whether I'm included in that bracket or not, but I'm still wound up by your post. There are many reasons why lots of attention was focussed on a small number of songwriters in "your day", compared with a greater/thinner spread of attention over more songwriters today. What is certain is that there is still original music being written, music is still evolving, and people are still finding new kinds of music to enjoy.

With the greatest of respect to "the greats" (not that they'd care), I'm so f***ing glad we're not all stuck in the 60s, and I'm certain that most of them would agree.
[/quote]

I don't know everyone's age. Even 50 is too young to understand the 60s and the greats from that era.

I'm sure there's still great material being written today. But IMO not as great as The 60s and 70s.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452687447' post='2952378']
I know what and how the younger generation feels about The Beatles
[/quote]

A bunch of the young (16-20) bands local to me are really into the beatles and borrowing lots from them in their song writing. So, maybe you don't know what you're talking about?

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1452687785' post='2952384']

A bunch of the young (16-20) bands local to me are really into the beatles and borrowing lots from them in their song writing. So, maybe you don't know what you're talking about?
[/quote]

Maybe, however I don't believe your story about these young bands.

Blue