Why become a member? ×

Musical blind spots

interpol52

Guys, I think Blue, being one of the few 'mericans on here, may not 'get' our way of thinking, I did laugh at the Megadeth thing though......

Back OT, I find Dave Mustaine and that whole style of metal a closed book to me, and as a huge Sabbath fan from way back when...I have tried, believe me.

Just to clarify things a bit further, my original post held no malice. I haven't willfully avoided listening to David Bowie in my life - I am neutral on his music. I don't know much about him or any of the songs other than the really really popular mainstream ones. A similar thing happened with Bob Dylan, then one day I heard one of his songs in a film and it connected with me at that time, from then on I became a fan. Maybe because my parents were not big Dylan or Bowie fans then I missed out on that from being young (I'm 40 now). Most of my knowledge of the greats is derived from what was on in the house when growing up and then my own musical tastes and how they have changed and grown over the years.

The reason why I mention this is because I hope that this doesn't turn into another Blue vs Anyone who doesn't like the greats thread. I am in no way ignorant of musical history, I just haven't listened to everything, I'm working on it though.

Edited by interpol52

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452652145' post='2952099']

I'm learning more and that many bass chatters have no respect for the pioneers that set the ground work for them.

For the most It's pure ignorance.

Blue
[/quote]

It's not ignorance on by behalf.

As the OP asks, What artists do you not have a great knowledge of.

I used the Beatles and Elvis as two examples of artists that everyone else seems to know lots of material.

Between them they produced 50 studio albums.

That's 50 albums I'd have to actively source and listen to each several times to familiarise myself with.

There are thousands of artists out there but very few have released more than 5 albums. Off the top of my head a few that spring to mind;

Cliff Richard, Iron Maiden, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Marillion, Micheal Jackson, Simple Minds, Genesis Springsteen ...

It's not possible to be familiar with all the greats.

Edit: YouTube isn't particularly friendly towards the Beatles, learning their times isn't a simple exercise.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1452671211' post='2952154']
Just to clarify things a bit further, my original post held no malice. I haven't willfully avoided listening to David Bowie in my life - I am neutral on his music. I don't know much about him or any of the songs other than the really really popular mainstream ones. A similar thing happened with Bob Dylan, then one day I heard one of his songs in a film and it connected with at that time, from then on I became a fan. Maybe because my parents were not big Dylan or Bowie fans then I missed out on that from being young (I'm 40 now). Most of my knowledge of the greats is derived from what was on in the house when growing up and then my own musical tastes and how they have changed and grown over the years.

The reason why I mention this is because I hope that this doesn't turn into another Blue vs Anyone who doesn't like the greats thread. I am in no way ignorant of musical history, I just haven't listened to everything, I'm working on it though.
[/quote]

Your OP was perfectly reasonable and refreshingly honest, and hopefully will make for an interesting thread.

As Tim says,
We will all have blind spots to various artists and styles, It depends on our up bringing. I had a big sister so latched on to what she was into Motown,Soul, Carol King, Crosby- S,N&Y. YES, Doobie Bros, Eagles and everything Woodstock. Then I got into Genesis,Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Lizzy, etc. but never played it on bass

I don't believe it's possible to be familiar with all the greats, never mind the minnows . For example,I have an extensive physical music collection, I'm always looking for new music and have sone so since I was a kid but even so I only discovered Steely Dan a few years ago, via this form actually, and now I can't imagine how I got so far in life without latching onto them. Aja is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. I'm conscious, though, that every time I listen to them again is time I could use to explore the Doobie Brothers or Bread or Traffic or Chicago, etc etc etc

Time is the enemy. There is more music I want to hear than time left to listen to it. There's no point in not absorbing what you listen to for the sake of ticking a box. You've got to find what you like and, most importantly, enjoy it. Really enjoy it, not just have it on as background music

Some people explore more than others and those journeys may never take the on paths to the "greats" but to suggest this is a result of ignorance is wildly arrogant. Each to their own, the most imoortant thing is to really appreciate whatever it is gives you enjoyment.

Jazz is a big miss for me. Some of it I love and some of it sounds like tipping a load of musical instruments off a cliff. It's such a huge genre I wouldn't really know where to start or find the stuff that interests me. Same goes classical music. There are plenty of other genres I don't like much and can't be bothered to explore and other stuff that leaves me thinking 'why would you want to listen to that?'

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='interpol52' timestamp='1452631859' post='2951921']
The sad news of David Bowie losing his cancer battle got me thinking about how I hardly know anything about him or his music.
Anyone else these gaps in knowledge, especially where 'the greats' are concerned?
[/quote]

As someone who plays purely for fun I don't have any inclination to listen to stuff I don't like no matter how "important" and generally respected it is, just like I don't watch critically acclaimed films or read classic literature just because they are held in high esteem. I have fairly low brow tastes in all these things and have stopped beating myself up about it a long time ago.

If I had pro aspirations then that would be different as having a more varied exposure would be a material advantage.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1452676416' post='2952207']
I was never really interested in all that prog stuff, King Crimson, Yes etc. I only really listened to Genesis after Phil Collins took over.
I know, I,m shallow. :D
[/quote]

That's a pretty good example.

To me Phil Collins took them in a direction I didn't really like. I like their material up to about Then There Were Three/Abacab.

It's not that I don't like the Beatles or Elvis, or even the Stones (another band I'm only familiar with hits from) it's just that I've never been grabbed by a single and thought that I should go and buy an album.

One man's "legend" is another's "who?".

I can remember being a worried teenager, worried because half my friends kept banging on about the Velvet Underground and the New York Dolls. Clearly it was impossible to be cool without having all their albums. 40 years later, I've still never yet owned a single album by either band and I can't say that my life has been ruined as a result.

I have plenty of blind spots, even with artists I've loved all my life. I was a huge Bowie fan in the 70s, as was everyone I was at school with. We all had Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane and and and ... After Low I never bought another Bowie album, and I'd actually forgotten Lodger existed until I read his obituary. I only have the singles of Let's Dance, Modern Love and China Girl because they're on a Best Of compilation I bought.

My biggest blind spot is the period 1984 - 2005, one of the most disposable and forgettable periods in music during my lifetime.

Blue touchpaper lit ...

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452652710' post='2952102']
Do you know why you can't stand it. And I mean intellectually. Not from a mere adolescent "I just don't like it" perspective.

Blue
[/quote]

I know exactly why I don't like it. I don't like how it sounds. Is there any other reason not to like a certain type of music?
And let's have less of the patronising crap.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1452670966' post='2952150']
Guys, I think Blue, being one of the few 'mericans on here, may not 'get' our way of thinking,
[/quote]
Not getting our way of thinking is fine, slagging people off & generally being a dick because people don't like the music he does isn't fine. IMO of course....

There is a difference between a band or artist passing you by as in the OPs case and hearing a band or artist and deliberately giving them a swerve, personally I'm not really a Beatles fan as it doesn't stir my soul how other bands do and I find Jaco stuff to be aimless noodling! I have become more of a fan of Fleetwood Mac recently than I was when they were more current, they passed me by rather than me not liking them the first time.

There's an interesting philosophical argument buried in the question that, if you are aware of it, is it a blind spot? That said, musical blind spots for me (in the sense that my eyelids close either in boredom or irritation:
Dylan
Jazz
Prog rock with tracks over 7-8 minutes long (Early Queen is okay, Yes is not)
Reggae

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1452683592' post='2952300']
There's an interesting philosophical argument buried in the question that, if you are aware of it, is it a blind spot? That said, musical blind spots for me (in the sense that my eyelids close either in boredom or irritation:
Dylan
Jazz
Prog rock with tracks over 7-8 minutes long (Early Queen is okay, Yes is not)
Reggae
[/quote]

Yes. It's a blind spot. It means you have to consciously move away from what you're normally looking at to see it.

I'm aware that Dolly Parton has a massive following but I'm too busy looking at the numbers I have to learn to delve into her back catalogue and immerse myself in Country and Western.

It's just something I'm not interested in.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452653193' post='2952108']

I couldn't name 1 Megadeath song. But I'm different, I'm evolved.

While I don't know Megadeath,I know Lemmy started the band back in the mid 70s.

Megadeath didn't mean all that much to me because it didn't matter. The reason it didn't matter was Lemmy had already sold me.

The fuss is, Lemmy was the real deal, he wasn't pretentious and had this glorious perspective on rock and roll.He seemed to be a no BS kind of guy.

C'Mon guys, get with it. Learn something about and respect history.

Blue
[/quote]
Are you being sarcastic?

If you're going to continue with the elitist attitude, you really should get your facts straight. Y'know, out of respect an' all.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1452684634' post='2952313']

Are you being sarcastic?

If you're going to continue with the elitist attitude, you really should get your facts straight. Y'know, out of respect an' all.
[/quote]

My facts can be challenged, However I think you get my point.

Blue

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1452676242' post='2952206']
I don't believe it's possible to be familiar with all the greats, never mind the minnows . For example,I have an extensive physical music collection, I'm always looking for new music and have sone so since I was a kid but even so I only discovered Steely Dan a few years ago, via this form actually, and now I can't imagine how I got so far in life without latching onto them. Aja is one of the greatest things I've ever heard. I'm conscious, though, that every time I listen to them again is time I could use to explore the Doobie Brothers or Bread or Traffic or Chicago, etc etc etc

Time is the enemy. There is more music I want to hear than time left to listen to it. There's no point in not absorbing what you listen to for the sake of ticking a box. You've got to find what you like and, most importantly, enjoy it. Really enjoy it, not just have it on as background music

Some people explore more than others and those journeys may never take the on paths to the "greats" but to suggest this is a result of ignorance is wildly arrogant. Each to their own, the most imoortant thing is to really appreciate whatever it is gives you enjoyment.
[/quote]
This, very much this.

I don't care what other people like or don't like. If I enjoy something then I will listen to it, and if I don't, I won't, no matter what it is. I'm not going to beat myself up about it either way.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1452653193' post='2952108']
I couldn't name 1 Megadeath song. But I'm different, I'm evolved.

While I don't know Megadeath,I know Lemmy started the band back in the mid 70s.

Blue
[/quote]

You taking the piss?

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1452683354' post='2952295']
There is a difference between a band or artist passing you by as in the OPs case and hearing a band or artist and deliberately giving them a swerve, personally I'm not really a Beatles fan as it doesn't stir my soul how other bands do and I find Jaco stuff to be aimless noodling! I have become more of a fan of Fleetwood Mac recently than I was when they were more current, they passed me by rather than me not liking them the first time.
[/quote]

I'm sort of glad I'm not as critical, ignorant and as narrow as some of you guys.

Blue