Why become a member? ×

Boiling strings...plastic?

Cameronj279

I've never boiled a set of strings before as I generally use coated strings but I'm contemplating trying it with an old set of Payson strings I have but they have a plastic ball end (is that what that bits called?)

Just wondering if this would cause an issue...I don't really want melted plastic in my pots.

Cameron

Boiling strings, IMO, is a myth that just keeps propagating. I tried it in my younger days and it didn't work very well. Folks more experienced than I suggest that if anything it shortens the life of your strings.

If you want to clean normal strings steep them in meths overnight (I coil them up as a set and put them in an old plastic haribo tub 3/4 filled with meths), dry and refit them. Not sure if this works for coated strings or not, but don't see why it wouldn't.

Edited by Bigwan

My dishwasher is a sink (I'm old fashioned like that).

I've never tried it previously partially cause I've heard it only revives them for a few days but my current strings are dead and I'm a bit skint really!

I live a small flat and I can't say the girlfriend would be happy with the place smelling like methelated spirits. Wouldn't be great for my asthma either I imagine!

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1451923309' post='2944626']
My dishwasher is a sink (I'm old fashioned like that).

I've never tried it previously partially cause I've heard it only revives them for a few days but my current strings are dead and I'm a bit skint really!

I live a small flat and I can't say the girlfriend would be happy with the place smelling like methelated spirits. Wouldn't be great for my asthma either I imagine!
[/quote]
Afix a lid on the methylated spirits with strings in container. Job done.

You could try this before taking them off and boiling them in water (which I have done, with the plastic ball ends and you do get a bit of life back, the plastic doesn't melt but it can become brittle - note I also added some white vinegar too).

http://youtu.be/s8OYeN9mAL4

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1451924937' post='2944641']
You could try this before taking them off and boiling them in water (which I have done, with the plastic ball ends and you do get a bit of life back, the plastic doesn't melt but it can become brittle - note I also added some white vinegar too).
[/quote]
Quite impressive. Gotta love a bit of MarloweDK. Nice post - thanks.
Now, if slapping the sh*t out of my strings makes them brighter should i do the same to my kids...

I wouldn't boil coated strings. Or strings with any plastic due too how much tension will be on it could make reliability a issue.

Boiling strings does work it varies. I find rounds last forever with me anyhow and I hate bright strings so now only use flats.

If you like fresh strings, The strings direct own brand are cheap and rumour has it made by rotosound when I used rounds I found them decent enough.

Strings go dead when the gunk and crud from your fingers gets into the winds and inhibits the free vibration of the string. Boiling and meths breaks down that crud and cleans the crap out giving you something approaching a new string sound. For coated strings, the only ones I found any use at all were Elixirs. They're the only one who coat the string as a whole and own that idea, as far as I'm aware. The rest coat the outer layer of wire and are essentially useless, in my experience - certainly D'Addario snd Warwick's were- as they don't stop the string absorbing crud. I don't see the logic in trying to boil a coated sring. If the coating has been compromised boiling isn't going to put it back together.

I used to boil strings all the time as a youngster when I was playing in slappy tappy new metal bands and wanted fresh strings for every gig / rehearsal... sadly I spent most of my money on weed at the time so had to make do with boiling my strings up instead of buying new ones. :mellow:

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1451996354' post='2945278']
This is what I did, works a treat: -

[url="http://www.studybass.com/gear/bass-strings/bass-string-cleaning-tube/"]http://www.studybass...-cleaning-tube/[/url]
[/quote]

Agreed. This is the best way to clean strings. I never really favoured boiling strings.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1451982694' post='2945122']
I wouldn't boil coated strings. Or strings with any plastic due too how much tension will be on it could make reliability a issue.

Boiling strings does work it varies. I find rounds last forever with me anyhow and I hate bright strings so now only use flats.

If you like fresh strings, The strings direct own brand are cheap and rumour has it made by rotosound when I used rounds I found them decent enough.
[/quote]

I find that Rotosounds are basically dead the moment they come out of the packet (every ones I've tried have been that way at least. Chances are they wouldn't fit on the Dingwall unfortunately. I use Elixirs on my other bass and have no issues with how long they last (ages) but find any other brand is dying within a month.

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1451983327' post='2945134']
For coated strings, the only ones I found any use at all were Elixirs. I don't see the logic in trying to boil a coated sring. If the coating has been compromised boiling isn't going to put it back together.
[/quote]

I agree. I've tried a lot of different string types and eventually settled on Elixirs as they just keep on going. I wouldn't try boiling them as I imagine the coating wouldn't like it but mostly because there isn't really any need to!

I've boiled the strings earlier (Payson Stainless Steels) and they actually sound good as new at the moment. I'm sceptical of how long they will be that way though.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1451916358' post='2944527']
I've never boiled a set of strings before as I generally use coated strings but I'm contemplating trying it with an old set of Payson strings I have but they have a plastic ball end (is that what that bits called?)

Just wondering if this would cause an issue...I don't really want melted plastic in my pots.

Cameron
[/quote]

You've got the ball end nomenclature correct, but my ball ends are Stainless Steel.
Payson

if you're gonna boil your strings, either wrap the ball in ducktape or keep the ball out the pan (it's probably clean at that end of the string).

Next time you have a little money for strings, try flatwounds. They don't suffer from this issue. Though they don't sound like roundwounds either.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1451921296' post='2944604']
Boiling strings, IMO, is a myth that just keeps propagating. I tried it in my younger days and it didn't work very well. Folks more experienced than I suggest that if anything it shortens the life of your strings.

[/quote]

That's what I think too. Boiling the strings may clean them, It won't fix the strings where they've got hammered and ground against the frets.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1455441935' post='2979038']

Next time you have a little money for strings, try flatwounds. They don't suffer from this issue. Though they don't sound like roundwounds either.
[/quote]

Yeah...the reason I was boiling them was because they sounded like flats instead of rounds. The moment a string loses its zing I feel the need to replace it

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1455467238' post='2979327']
Boiling the strings may clean them, It won't fix the strings where they've got hammered and ground against the frets.
[/quote]

Agreed..plus as the inner core is steel, even if you [i]think[/i] you have allowed them ample time to dry off, they are still prone to rust.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1455468487' post='2979338']
Agreed..plus as the inner core is steel, even if you [i]think[/i] you have allowed them ample time to dry off, they are still prone to rust.
[/quote]
Good point, I used to peg mine on the washing line for a full sunny day.