Why become a member? ×

Boutique gear

geoff90guitar

Well lads, personally I've found these boutique multi-hundred pound cabs very clever and light, if you want to sacrifice your oomph and sound.
It's already been invented, you can't beat a real traditional speaker. However, if you've never played with one, you won't miss it. New neo owners will just go round and round and imagine there must be something even better. Still, that's good for business.

The studio I rehearse at has an Ampeg 8x10 in all of the rooms excluding one. The other room has a EBS 4x10 and the EBS blew the Ampeg out the water in every aspect. Just sounded louder, clearer, beefier, tighter and many other words ending in 'er'.

This was also using a class D amp head. Plenty of oomph!

I suppose it depends what you like. I definitely don't go for a 'vintage' type sound. :)

I'm of the opposite view.

The technical advances in bass guitar cabinets over the past 10 years or so has been stunning. The issue of the material used for the loudspeaker magnet being heard by the human ear amazes me.

In the words of Victor Meldrew, "I don't believe it." Other issues are at play here in my opinion.

The performance of the new bass cabinets exceeds 40 year old designs in every way - except bragging rights. :)

Frank.

I can't hear any drop off in quality between my modern neo ones and cabs of old... In fact I find them far louder and better sounding along with being smaller / lighter.

Whenever I have to use an old school cab that has been provided as backline I'm always disapointed and would much rather use my berg.

[quote name='geoff90guitar' timestamp='1450210477' post='2930640']
Well lads, personally I've found these boutique multi-hundred pound cabs very clever and light, if you want to sacrifice your oomph and sound.
It's already been invented, you can't beat a real traditional speaker. However, if you've never played with one, you won't miss it. New neo owners will just go round and round and imagine there must be something even better. Still, that's good for business.
[/quote]

Welcome.... nice firey post to start off with. :lol:

As it happens, I agree with you.

My light rig is a Demeter and TKS S112's and it gets a LOT on nice comments..which is always nice,
(ceramic speakers and Class D with a valve stage)
but my full beans rig is Aguilar DB750 and DB cabs and that always gets the knowing smile and look from
bass players.
Both, IMO, sound great but the Full beans rig is the real deal. It just is.

Trouble is, John, your "old fashioned" gear is as boutique as they come and bears little relation to the any gear produced 20 years ago let alone "back in the day".

My old 50 watt Marshall 4x12 is nowhere near as good as my Bergs in any respect. The thought that my old 1x18 Vox Foundation is a match for my Barefaced cabs is a joke.

[quote name='geoff90guitar' timestamp='1450210477' post='2930640']
[/quote]
Are you a chiropractor/osteopath/physio and suffering a downturn in paying clients perchance?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1450263393' post='2931055']
Trouble is, John, your "old fashioned" gear is as boutique as they come and bears little relation to the any gear produced 20 years ago let alone "back in the day".

My old 50 watt Marshall 4x12 is nowhere near as good as my Bergs in any respect. The thought that my old 1x18 Vox Foundation is a match for my Barefaced cabs is a joke.
[/quote]

:lol: Chris, Yes, I think the DB750 outsrips the SVT in a lot of (ALL..??) ways.... I also think Aguilar have picked off Ampeg almost intentionally.

My friends still carry round Bassmen Amps and cabs but their style wouldn't work for me...I can pretty much garauntee it.

My current TKS cabs are getting rave reviews at every gig from Musos and bass players.... but I think that is a combination of the cab being great for tone,
The Demeter is a class Amp... and believe it or not, gets quite raspy with 'breakup when driven..which I always have to do, so that is a nice side benefit...
and I've worked quite had on the sound myself...even tho it is still a work in progress.

I'm surprised at the various style of bass players who comment on it.. but there you go...so the (ceramic) cabs being 10kgs is a BONUS,

I do recommend the amp tho... I find it on the same lines as the Thunderfunk...whether this is hand wired aspect I don't know, and it is
nowhere near as coloured.... not that I had a problem with the colour anyway. but I can see why it is the price it is..and well worth
the difference over other Class D I've tried.

But yes... I wouldn't quite call it boutique, but have no problem if the price suggest otherwise.

At the end of the day, you need to be able to square the compromises you may have to make.

Currently very happy with my bass lot.... so much so, I'm looking for another Bass.
I think I'll be on my way over to Twyford in the New Year...will let you know when if you are interested.

Also, take the point that even SWR and Eden ..which were the rigs of the early 90's struggle today.
Maybe the top end stuff they produced is still good like the SWR SM series and the Eden WT amps.

The problem with a lot of gear from rehearsal rooms..and hire rigs, is that the speakers may have
had a hard life.
I've found that with Ashdown and Ampeg fridges... they can sound pretty tired and ragged...

The other night I was in a Studio & plonked my Barefaced super 12T & ABM1000 in front of a classic Ampeg 8x10 rig , at the end of the session I A/Bd them & my Rig blew that Ampeg out of the water . I didn't expect it to be so much better especially when pushing the lows . I actually felt quite smug .

Amps, OK maybe - you can't beat all-valve for that all-valve tone.

Speaker cabs? What a load of twaddle.
How many 'boutique' cabinets have you tried? They all contain 'traditional' speakers, the principle hasn't changed. The materials have, Neo magnets are lighter, thinner plywood can be used with decent bracing, but at the end of the day, weight aside it's just a box holding a paper cone being propelled back and forth by a magntic motor. It's all in the design.

Honestly, it's like saying modern cars with their new fangled gadgets don't handle as well as a 1973 Austin 1100 on the country lanes.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1450268843' post='2931159']
Honestly, it's like saying modern cars with their new fangled gadgets don't handle as well as a 1973 Austin 1100 on the country lanes.
[/quote]

Or that a 1973 Aston Martin V8 could outperform a 2015 VW Up! What a silly idea indeed! :D

Something new and crap will be worse than something old and good of its not knackered, something old and crap will be worse than Something new and good, something old and crap will be about as crap as something new and crap, something old and good will be as good as something New and good. The one you like best is the best one for you.

Edited by sunburstjazz1967

I have to say, I've never really been sold on any NEO cabs I tried.
Doesn't mean I didn't use them at the time...just knew something
wasn't quite right.

I could list them as there are a good few... but not one
did I like. Draw your own conclusions but the one common
element was NEO.
That is why I feel I can say I don't like NEO.

Whether that might change at some point in the future
when I hear one, is a maybe.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1450264091' post='2931067']
My Aguilar Tonehammer 500 and two Barefaced Super 12Ts - even just the one - will give most rigs a run for their money. But I have to say when I use an Ampeg SVT and matching 810, well that`s just got that bit extra to it.
[/quote]
[quote name='Kevin Dean' timestamp='1450268831' post='2931158']
The other night I was in a Studio & plonked my Barefaced super 12T & ABM1000 in front of a classic Ampeg 8x10 rig , at the end of the session I A/Bd them & my Rig blew that Ampeg out of the water . I didn't expect it to be so much better especially when pushing the lows . I actually felt quite smug .
[/quote]

Good point Kevin, I wonder how much of that is due to the cab or the amp itself. I`d love to hear a full Ampeg valve amp through one of my S12Ts to hear the difference.