Why become a member? ×

Boutique gear

geoff90guitar

I think machinehead's attitude, where technical understanding is complementary to experience gained through listening seems like a good way round for a player to approach things. There have been a few times when I've enjoyed playing through certain pieces of gear and then looked up all the information I can find about them to try and figure out what it is they're doing that I like. They have sometimes been items that I might not have chosen if comparing specs on a "more is better" basis, which there is a temptation to do when you first start checking spec sheets.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1450990046' post='2937747']
There have been a few times when I've enjoyed playing through certain pieces of gear and then looked up all the information I can find about them to try and figure out what it is they're doing that I like. They have sometimes been items that I might not have chosen if comparing specs on a "more is better" basis, which there is a temptation to do when you first start checking spec sheets.
[/quote]

True, but a lot of spec sheets are meaningless. There are only one or two manufacturers of bass cabs who will give accurate figures on how their cabs behave and what you can expect from them.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1450990515' post='2937755']
True, but a lot of spec sheets are meaningless. There are only one or two manufacturers of bass cabs who will give accurate figures on how their cabs behave and what you can expect from them.
[/quote]

True, but one doesn't have to rely solely on that for one's information. After a while, the 'usual suspects' get a repution for 'embellishment', revues from either the dedicated press or from users, satisfied or not, accumulated experience from one's own previous contact with gear all add up to give a picture. No, it's still not 'the truth', but not every supplier is happy to lend gear for 3 months on the off chance that it will fit the bill. There's no 'magic bullet', whatever the method.
Personally, I get around the 'problem' fairly nimbly by ...
1) Having low expectations (in most things; I'm rarely disappointed...)
... and ...
2) Having appallingly poor taste. Stuff I like is rarely even proposed on the Market, as no-one would make the tat I'd specify, anyway.
I'm not one for splitting hairs into four, and the law of diminishing returns kicks in very, very quickly, anyway, so I'd rarely go the extra mile for an illusionary 'perfection'.

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1451044738' post='2937986']
Whereas my choices take quite a time, I'm very picky and tend to choose pretty well.

Most of the gear I have I keep because it does what I want it to do.
I very very rarely turn over kit within a year or two..if that.
[/quote]

Exactly.