Why become a member? ×

Jaco... Is he really all that?

AinsleyWalker

Ah, but they're all "better" than you, so who cares? You're not allowed an opinion. So what you have to do to be allowed an opinion is either

a) be a better player than anyone ever
or
B) know every detail of their career and output so you're not talking out of your arse - as if knowledge ever stopped people being stupid.

I am the best bass player ever though.... me gran says so

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1449742596' post='2926361']
Ah, but they're all "better" than you, so who cares? You're not allowed an opinion. So what you have to do to be allowed an opinion is either

or
B) know every detail of their career and output so you're not talking out of your arse - as if knowledge ever stopped people being stupid.
[/quote]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1449736511' post='2926309']

Oh get over yourself... :lol: ... Your opinion is no more valid than someone who has never picked up a bass guitar.

It's music, there isn't a league table of who is better than who. Different music appeals to different people...
[/quote]
But Blue is 62 and all he does is play rock and roll, at least once every weekend. It's all he does, he forgoes family and, apparently, friends, to concentrate on his music. Unless you, too, are 62 and have been playing for 50 years, doing four hour bar gigs every weekend, then your opinion is invalid. You're just a pretender, a hobbyist that lacks dedication. Haven't you ever read any of his threads? He lets us know that at least once in every single one of them, so how could you not know? Geez!

Jaco inspirational? without a doubt, for me his solo album, has some moments of pure genius, like a lot of playing, the groove on Come on come over, man that good.. BUT for some I can understand that his playing can sound like it has descended into cacophony doodling, the answer "its Jazz man" for me does not cut it, for me when you need a degree in music to have to understand what is being played, that to me is when the music has missed its point. (imho)

Is Jaco the greatest bass player that ever lived, NO, there is no such thing, but was he a monster talent that was capable of some of the finest playing hell yes.

But more Important who is the Japanese "guy" that is crazy stuff... what a great looking bass as well, I found Gangnam style by him to................ best ever!

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449709187' post='2926266']
To me, the comment "aimless noodling" regarding Jaco sounds ignorant. That's my opinion.
[/quote]
A fair chunk of what Jaco plays sounds like aimless noodling to me - as in, it's there for the sake of it and doesn't really have any musical value. We just like different stuff, 'ol Jaco & I.

[quote name='Lynottfan' timestamp='1449750604' post='2926457']

But more Important who is the Japanese "guy" that is crazy stuff... what a great looking bass as well, I found Gangnam style by him to................ best ever!
[/quote]
He goes by the name of HJ Freaks

[quote name='neilp' timestamp='1449742596' post='2926361']

or
[/quote]

I think Blue was trying to say that an educated opinion is more valid than a dumb opinion expressed in a seemingly provocative manner. Regardless of the op's intentions I have to say I still agree with Blue.

I just thought it was worth pointing out because some of you are ganging up on him in a weird 'Internet lynch mob' kind of way.

If everyone is entitled to an opinion, why throw personal insults at him for his opinion? Goes against everything you're arguing for, doesn't it?

Edited by project_c

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1449768691' post='2926704']
I think Blue was trying to say that an educated opinion is more valid than a dumb opinion expressed in a seemingly provocative manner. Regardless of the op's intentions I have to say I still agree with Blue.

I just thought it was worth pointing out because some of you are ganging up on him in a weird 'Internet lynch mob' kind of way.

If everyone is entitled to an opinion, why throw personal insults at him for his opinion? Goes against everything you're arguing for, doesn't it?
[/quote]

I'm not sure how my opinion on a bass player can be dumb just because you don't agree with it. Juvenile logic.
My opinion would be dumb had I tried to judge Jaco without hearing anything he played, alas I have and therefore I'm entitled to form an opinion on what I've heard. By your thinking, a lot of here have stupid opinions.

Why is it weird that people are standing up against someone? He does this on almost EVERY thread he gets involved in, I think it's spot on that people who are sick of it tell him. There's another thread about Paul McCartney and guess what, he's in an argument almost identical to this where he's accused people of being trolls and he's told people they should stop playing bass just as he has here. And like this thread, he has a whole host of people mocking him for his personal attacks. A mod even got involved and told him to stop, he takes things too far.

For a man of his age he's acting like a total child on here

Edited by AinsleyWalker

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449703474' post='2926221']
Another really cool analysis from a guy that to me knows what he's talking about.

Nice!

Blue
[/quote]

So, if we diagree with you, we don't know what we are talking about...

And then, conversely... :lol: :lol: see, it is a funny old game.

There were many suggestions of Jaco's playing with various others rather than just solo or with Weather Report for the OP to sample. From that, he'll be able to view his original take on JP's playing in a new light and see if his opinion is changed by the new exposure. Pretty much what I thought he was after. Watch this space I guess.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1449736511' post='2926309']

Oh get over yourself... :lol: ... Your opinion is no more valid than someone who has never picked up a bass guitar.

It's music, there isn't a league table of who is better than who. Different music appeals to different people...
[/quote]

It's merely who I am.I have no idea where you picked up on me indicating I'm better than anyone anywhere.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1449783603' post='2926884']

It's merely who I am.I have no idea where you picked up on me indicating I'm better than anyone anywhere.

Blue
[/quote]

Suggesting (telling) people that do not like Jaco that they must be crap players themselves and that you can't comment until your skill level is at a level suitable to comment when you are commenting yourself (strongly) would in itself infer that you see your own ability of a level higher than those you feel should not comment, that infers that you have decided that you are a better player than those people that you do not feel have reached your required level of skill to comment.

I don't mind the comments about me, I'm fully aware I take playing bass guitar and rock and roll to seriously.

But understand, I'm not a teacher, attorney,engineer,salesman or anything like that. For me playing bass in a rock band is who I am.Even though I never progressed beyond bar band level playing it still defines me.

I also over react to negative comments about the musical icons from my generation.

I hope nobody here decides to post negative comments about Carol Kaye or Chuck Rainy.

Good Days

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='sunburstjazz1967' timestamp='1449784645' post='2926901']
Come on Blue with your in depth research into players before posting comments even you would know it is Carol Kaye not Kay :-D
[/quote]

Dang, I knew that spelling didn't look right.It has been corrected.😀

Blue

Edited by blue